Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Flame outs ?

I wonder how the flight characteristics of the FU3 Beechjet measure up against the latest planes from the other sims ? In fact, I am curious to know the thoughts of Peter James himself regarding this question.......Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

Chris Low.When the comming San Fransisco MegaScenery 2004 is released, we might be able to narrow the gap between SanFran and SEA Regions.As mensioned before it is quite possible to extend FU3 Region SanFran north and eastwards.I will be able to make the MegaTiles, but not the GEO-tiles and the new Airports. GEO-tiles, we will have to ask Andr

Guest glidernut

ChrisDIt sounds very promising, I look forwerd to it.glidernut.:-wave

Chris,If you can get new high resolution SanFran scenery in FU3 (and lay it over a decent high resolution mesh), then I will gladly start building the airports :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

The Mt Shasta, Redding and Red Bluff areas should be developed. They look like an excellent location for BFUisque fun. As the outer terrain is said to be based on usgs landforms, I think moving forward with re-texturing selected areas with detailed satellite images would be the thing to do till the SF hi-res can be expanded northward. If you fly at Redding and Mt Shasta, you'll see the generic textures for flattened airports and urban sprawl are already there. Also you'll see Shasta lake already exists. An excellent amphib location. Airports Redding Mun. and Red Bluff Mun. It's a beautiful scenery to vfr with FS2002pro. In '02pro there's are 2 additional airstrips, one of which is at the south base of the mountain. Thought I'd mention that as an idea for adding 2 more airstrips.Another area I feel is neglected and would be a fun place is Rimrock Lake Washington. If you look at the bottom right hand of the Sea hi-res map, just under the fine print, you'll see where the lake is supposed to be. Currently it's just a deep green valley in the outer terrain. Glacier Lake area of Mt needs looked at. Another great place for vfr with '02proI've have been repeatedly failing to generate selected areas. Could you guys please take a look at my rules and let me know what is incorrect with it? Test and see if it will generate? When I try to generate it, flight3 gets to 50% then moves on to AI startup then enters the flight. Also here's the entry in my flt.cfg. I have always been careful about commenting/ uncommenting where needed. This has been ongoing for years it seems. I now have a fresh install of a hard drive, windows98 and flight3 with sf hi-res. Also outer megatiles are generated now. So it has to be my line entries are all wrong + brain damage. For these past years this has been driving me crazy. Work I was doing for retexturing the Grand Canyon area a couple of years ago had to stop because of this.For my flt.cfg:;Rimrock Lake by Jim Buffett;use_loose_gtls;generate_outer_megatiles 121.16 121.60 46.37 46.40For my Rules.txt://Rimrock Lake by Jim Buffett//////////////////// TYPE MIN ALT MAX ALT MIN LONG MAX LONG MIN LAT MAX LATRULE w 0 2802 121.16 121.60 46.37 46.40 0.4Here are other area's where I fail to generate the tiles:For my flt.cfg:;San Juan Isl Washington Friday Harbor by Jim Buffett;use_loose_gtls;generate_outer_megatiles 123.289 123.43 48.4 48.49 ;Victoria, British Columbia;use_loose_gtls;generate_outer_megatiles 123.289 123.35 48.4 48.44;generate_outer_megatiles 123.289 123.43 48.4 48.49 0. For my Rules.txt//Victoria, British ColumbiaRULE u2b4 0 2000 123.289 123.35 48.4 48.44RULE b2u4 0 2000 123.289 123.43 48.4 48.49 0.4//San Juan Isl Washington Friday Harbor by Jim BuffettRULE U2W41 0 2000 123.02 123.034 48.5 48.52 0.4// EPHRATA- WashingtonRULE U2B2 0 2000 119.24 119.33 47.10 47.19 0.4To Glidernut, I'll give your coloring technique a go. In meanwhile I've been coloring a Red Bluff image I have.From what I can tell USA Photo Mapper doesn't have elevation detail. It downloads the grey scale images and saves the as map files. It does retain the geo-cords. It can zoom from 1 to 8 meter's. Arc Explorer, 3Dem, Global Mapper, MicroDem, and Mr Sid Geoviewer are excellent tools for obtaining dem's. When I re-installed windows I lost my Global Mapper registration so now it only runs in demo mode, MicroDem- I get loading errors now because of re-installing windows, Arc Explorer get runtime error. Terrascene is a good source for 250m and 7.5minute dem's. 3Dem is a great tool, it allows you to "fly through" the terrain. Pretty neat stuff. Probably not useful for Flight3 improvements, but fun to use. Well, I hope you all can straighten me out on my tile generation problems. I'd really like to be able to get back into it again. That outer terrain is pretty big and there's thousands of miles that need better texturing.You all take care,JimBPs: I have a hoover dam 3d model. It is not converted to bin. Anyone want it and see if it can be used in the o/t? That's another under developed area of the o/t. bye again- JimB.

Guest glidernut

juvat2,Now youv lost me.The outer terrain is based on generic texturs and is a diferant sistem to a terrainbased on detailed satellite images that hav a diferant way of useing terrain hight.The 2 sistems can not be merged, we hav to use one sistem or the other. I dont hav the outer terrain instaled, I dont like the texturs.This is a good reesan for re-texturing selected areas with detailed satellite images.But I think there is a big problem using the outer terrain "terrain hight datea"!Over the yers I hav instaled the outer terrain on 3 PC's and 3 operateing sistemsuseing 2 sets of FU3 disks.And every time I do this I get the same problem.The problem is that I can not land safly any where on the outer terrain uther thanon the flatend plases for airports!If I role along the ground on the outer terrain I run the risk of exploding intothe air as if Iv just crashed into an invisibl object.Its the outer terrain hight that is the problem, Its unstabl.This only hapens on the outer terrain.This dus not hapen on mirer imiged terrain or on any of the other regions.So unles we divelop a new region from skrach like Switserland or UK-Sout,even if only small, like a few miles acros.Then it just wont work.glidernut.

Guest juvat2

Hi John,I'd not run into the problem you had with landing in the outer terrain. That must of been frustrating for you! I've flown a lot out there looking for areas I hope to texture or see if it should have a runway.True the o/t has generic textures applied to it. Those textures can be replaced as instructed in the "Editing Flight Unlimited 3 "Low-Res" Scenery Looking Glass Studios" with user made custom textures. It is part of a zip file available here at Avsim "outer_terrain_editor.zip".So we are not stuck the generic textures from the Flight3 cd's. What we are limited to is the 8/256 pixel depth and colors. I propose any high res image, set to the outer terrains requirements can be used, and they'd be much better, and of course, more realistic than the generic tiles. We could apply these at selected locations, not the whole of the outter terrain. I'll pin some shots I have from a Tucson project I had hoped to tile till I lost the ability to generate my own custom tiles.Jim Buffett

Guest R_Driscoll

Peter claims accuracy to 1% over the range tested (see article linked above) - which is amazing considering he was using true flight dynamics, not look-up tables. This suggests it is possible to do both - to have accuracy by the numbers yet use proper fluid modelling.RobD.

Guest Seadog

>I seem to remember that there was a 'F.A.Q' page>somewhere on the web,with that response detailed (and other>stuff by Peter James) maybe someone can remember where to>look??>>:-wave>>Pete>Hi, PeteJust ran across this and spotted a chance to make a small repayment for your kind favors.There's an article over at Flightsim.com that meets the description of what you seek, in which Peter James reveals Nine, count them, Nine Secrets of the BeechJet 400A, two of which apply to all stock FU3 aircraft and the Fokker!It can be found athttp://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/special/bj400a.htmSeadog:-walksmile

Guest Seadog

Ooops. Hadn't quickly enough spotted the fact that the secret article had already been discovered and the link posted. Oh well.Seadog

Guest Robs

Why would anyone want to fix the flame outs?They provide for some very exciting moments- especially if only one engine goes...very high yaw rates! Wayhey...glad it is someone else'e plane!Rob.