Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Flight2 and the CD #2 notice again

Guest juvat2

Well,My Flight2 stand alone install wacked out on me again. You guys know of a better way to correct this than a full re-install? I've had to re-install because of this in the past. Map file sizes match those on the cd's.Any ideas?Thanks,JimB

Guest ChrisD

Your Path may be Flight3 but mine is FU3, please substitute Your path.Check Your FU3CDROMsanfranMAPS dir.mine has 303 files all with extension .CPDThey come in 3 sizes: 5632 Kb, 1408 Kb and 352 Kb.These files reside on Your Game Disk #2.Copy then into the above path.In FU3regionssanfran You find region.cfgOpen with notepad.First two lines is:reg_name San Francisco Bay Areareg_cd_path F:FU3CDROMsanfranmapsMake sure the reg_cd_path points to Your FU3CDROMsanfranMapsRemember correct drive letter...This should remove the message.Hope this helps.ChrisD

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,Yes, it was my stand-alone install of Flight Unlimited 2 that had the "install cd #2" on it. I say "had" because Chris D set me straight. It was the region.cfg. I edited to show where the sanfranmaps was located and it's ok now.The Cessna 172 in Flight2- is it supposed to have a cockpit? Mine doesn't. The other aircraft seem ok. In an old previous install I don't remember any Flight2 aircraft not having a cockpit. Hitting F2 or F3 keys doesn't bring it up. Took a peek with resviewer and there's a cockpit panel texture for it (2001).JimB

Jim,Remember, cockpit panels are not visible in FU2 at 1024 by 768 resolution.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Thanks Chris,That was it all along.JimB

Guest sufcste

>Hi Fellas,>>Yes, it was my stand-alone install of Flight Unlimited 2 that>had the "install cd #2" on it. I say "had" because Chris D set>me straight. It was the region.cfg. I edited to show where the>sanfranmaps was located and it's ok now.>>The Cessna 172 in Flight2- is it supposed to have a cockpit?>Mine doesn't. The other aircraft seem ok. In an old previous>install I don't remember any Flight2 aircraft not having a>cockpit. Hitting F2 or F3 keys doesn't bring it up. Took a>peek with resviewer and there's a cockpit panel texture for it>(2001).>>JimBI also had the resolution problem; thanks for solving it for me guys!I was just wondering how to edit the region.cfg file to get rid of the "Insert CD#2" message. I have tried various settings but it doesn't seem to work. Please help!

Guest fu3

This is the first 4 lines of my 'region.cfg' file, found in the regionsanfran folder (or regionseattle if that's the problem...):reg_name San Francisco Bay Areareg_cd_path g:programsflight3CDROMsanfranmapsreg_terrain_disk_name Flight Unlimited II Disk 2 (Game Disk)reg_cd_levels 2Open it in Notepad.exe and edit it directly. Set the 'g:programsflight3' part to suit where you put the sanfran maps. E.G. yours might be in your 'c:program filesflight3CDROM...' etc.It should never ask for that disc again ;-)If you still have problems, post the first 4 lines of each of your 'region.cfg' files her and I'll have a look. If you ever move FU3 post-installation, it will not work 100% until you edit these entries.Regards,Jon Point

Jon,Sorry for posting this here but.....have you received the two PMs that I sent recently ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,I'm having trouble accessing anything but Gmail right now :-( Please post to pointgmailcom> and I should get it OK. This new VPN suck$...I can post here but I have no idea why I cannot access the library or get messages - there's some cookie problem or other that is causing me grief! Once back home I can access things OK, just not when I'm on the road/track/air route/sea lane.If it's about the bridges, I have lots of unfinished concrete pilings around the bay. Is there ONE that you really want? I did a rail bridge - Benicia? It looked rather plain considering the huge number of polygons ;-) The other one was the concrete road bridge with the curve in it - I could never get it right as one model - AND it also had too many polygons.Let me know and I'll finish one whilst the S6 is being shaken-down :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Jon,Thanks for the response. With respect to the SanFran bridges, erm.....I certainly would like a detailed replacement for the current Dumbarton bridge (this is the curved concrete one that you mentioned), but I would also rather like to have the two Benicia-Martinez bridges. These are the road and rail bridges that cross the Benicia Strait near Buchanan Field. The road bridge is a pretty standard open deck job (I'm fairly sure that you showed me some preliminary work on that one), and the rail bridge has a series of steel lattice "arches" (for want of a better term).Obviously, I am aware that you are currently busy with other things, so arranging a release timetable would be pointless. If you are prepared to do these, then I will do a bit of research into the areas surrounding these bridges, to see what else I can add in the relevant scenery packages.On a side note, if I could get those pylons to be visible from as far away as the originals, then I would also be keen to expand the network in the SanFran area. I really wish I knew what the problem was there. I know that there have been suggestions regarding reaching a "maximum number of objects" limit, but that doesn't make sense to me. The problem also occurs in areas that are virtually barren as far as object models are concerned. I think that it has far more to do with some attribute of the pylon models themselves that has been changed. If you ever think of a possible solution, please let me know immediately !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,"I think that it has far more to do with some attribute of the pylon models themselves that has been changed."Ooowee, that could be it, I'll compare the old vs. new! There's a possibility that there are 2 versions. I had this problem with the FBOs as well :-( I'll think about it. And yes, the roadbridge was not finished but could be. The rail bridge was scary! The problem with Dumbarton is looks vs. distance. Too many arches, too many polygons!Regards,Jon Point

Jon,With respect to the pylons, is there any reason why the ones that have already been added to the region can be seen from a considerable distance, and yet the new ones can only be seen from close range ? After all, the same model is being used, even if it has been modified since the original scenery package was constructed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,I'm trying to figure out why nearly ALL of my Seattle pylons have disappeared :-( I had a few packages with hundreds of pylons in them. Whether the packages are in the folder or not, I get no pylons. Fledviewer says they're OK. In FLED, they don't appear until you click on them - however, after clicking on a few and resaving, they don't appear in FU3 !!?!Maybe the answer is to try deleting the lo-res models? They weren't used originally and I thought they'd have little impact, apart from maybe better framerates. I'll try that ;-)BTW, the binfiles are the same size, but I think the anchor is on one corner now, instead of the middle...Regards,Jon Point

It would be great to find the solution, because I would love to expand the pylon network in the SanFran region. I still have the relevant maps and other research material that I used to create the original SanFran Pylons package, so I would be able to start work as soon as the problem has been resolved.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png