Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Icon limit. ?

Guest glidernut

Just out of interest I would like to know what icon limit peopl have in Seattle?Normaly My icon limit in Seattle is about 50 or 60 icons, and I like to keep it1 or 2 short of my limit so that I can install any new package that might cum out without any troubl.But reesantly I hav been adding as meny icons as I can to see what aireas inSeattle could benifit from new packages, (a sergeston of Allan).The thing is that I nouw hav 117 icons and I hav not reeched my limit yet, Im stil going, no CTD, and I hav run out of icons to install.I hav about 200 packages in Seattle but meny of them over the mist,s of time hav lost there airpor folders contence, ie, icons.Iv never had this meny icons (117) all working together bifor, and I am harfexpecting to CTD "Crash To Desk-top" at any minit, but it just keeps working.I thought it might be that in my Seattle set-up myREGIONS/SEATTLE/AIRSPACE.TXT & AIPLAN.TXT & ext_port.txt are all as out of thebox, but no, thees files in Sanfran are also as strate out of the box, but mySanfran icon limit is stil only about 50 or 60 icons.My set up nouw, is exactly the same as it was munths ago when my limit wasonly 50 or 60!I hav not defragmented my PC for several munths, I wounder if this is it.Sumtimes defragmenting can make a diferance, sum times beter, sumtimes wers.But mostly defragmenting makes no disernabl diferance at all.Sum one did do a small program that alous you to defragment FU3 and hav FU3,sfiles put on the hard drive in a contiguas way. But I dont think we knowinuf about FU3,s file structcher to get the best out of this program.My expereance of CTD leeds me to bileev that this hapens when ever ther istoo much for the FU3 program to cope with in geneal!As it can hapen at the AI start up, or after that when kliking in fly or evenafter you hav been flying for 20 minits or so seemingly at random.See snap-shot, all 117 icons working perfectly, but for how long? dont breeth! If only we could make Fu3 mor stable.Any sergestions?glidernut.:-wave

Glidernut,Do you still have the outer terrain scenery installed ? I'm pretty sure that the total icon limit for the Seattle region also includes those airports in the outer terrain. I am also reasonably certain that LGS' "extra airports" are also included, even when they have not been "activated". Do you use these extra airports ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

No I dont hav the outer terrain instaled on this set-up.And yes I do hav the "extra airports" in use, thay can be seen onthe snap-shot.The snap-shot was not taken when in fly mode by presing m.The snap-shot was taken when at the start up skreen nusing a seperatsnap-shot program, wher the "extra airports" only show up when activated by having the extra_airports line in the cfg file.And the icons with an anker on them only show up if one has serlecteda sea plane.Im going to see if I can fiend the ariginal packages from Franks oldweb sight, Iv got them on anuther PC sum where.Sum of them might hav icons that Iv lost over the yers.I want to see just how meny icons is posibl.I ges the bubl will berst sooner or later. Dont breeth.Houw meny icons do you hav ?glidernut.

Glidernut,I will have to check how many icons are on my map when I get home from work, but I can state with absolute certainty that the figure is nowhere near 117 ! :-eekChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

John,My Icon limit for Seattle is about 85, I use the extra airports. I have the Outer terrain installed and I know the Icons out there count. I have a few extra Airports installed out there. I didn't count the Icons on that map but I have at least a couple more then a stock game. I know the outer counts because I built a Icon for Yellystone airport in Cody WY. and my game started crashing on start up. I had to remove a airport ID from a Seattle package to make it work.Someday I might finish that airport.From looking on your map it doesn't look like you have my Moose Hunting Lodge or my Fishing lodge in there? If your missing a package of mine you'd like to have sent me a note I'll send it to you.Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, I suspect you can beat the icon limit because 116 of your icons are gliding clubs (am I right?) and everyone knows that gliding clubs are a lot of hot air - they probably float over the scenery without even registering in FU3 memory as a resource.More seriously, possibly the icon limit is a fiction, and there is some other form of interaction between packages (such as overlapping the same tile) that is the limiting factor. As sson as we get the source code from EA, we should work this out (and yes, I'll be old and grey by then - what's that son? I already am? Gahhrrrr).RobD.

Robert,I'm not sure about the "airport icons are irrelevant" theory. That would presumably mean that ordinary scenery packages (without airport icons) would contribute to whatever the problem is. I have added over fifty scenery packages to the SanFran region (and many of them are in close proximity), but the only problem appears to be that annoying freeze shortly after take-off or landing at several airports.Interestingly, this "freeze" also happens at SeaTac International and McChord AFB (the worst offender) in the Seattle region, and yet it does not at Paine Field, which is an equally complex airport :-hmmm I am inclined to agree that EA's generous donation of the FU3 source code may help up to solve these little problems ;-)As for your comments regarding gliding clubs......well, I'm making sure that everything in my lounge is secure before "the wrath of glidernut" strikes back :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Hi Allan,I hav the Moose Hunting Lodge package but not the airport folder withinthis package. I want that off you plees.I dont hav any package named Fishing lodge.So Iill hav this as well pleas.In fakt Iv got a long shoping list of airport folders of several ofyour packages.Iill send you the list.RobD,Now listen hear mate, Iv only got 11 gliding icons and thats it, no more!The only hot air in Seattle is in that baloon at your Forest Falls,and in that rotating smoke, that I keep trying to land on, unsucsesfaly.Your just jelas.Hay dont knok the tabel, this meny icons is delicat and frageile like a card castel, one sneez and it all cums tumbling douwn. glidernut.:wave

Guest Allan_D

Rob.If your already old and grey Here's a few tips that might make you feel better.1. Kidnappers are no longer interested in you2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.3. You have nothing left to be learned the hard way4. Your eyes won't get much worse5. Your investment in health insurance is finally paying off6. Your secerts are safe with your friends, because they can't remember them either :-lol7. Things you buy now won't wear out :-lolJohn.Send me a note at cldawson@dmci.net with your list. I'll send what you want plus some of my new fun packs. Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest R_Driscoll

Well I'm 47 (OK OK 48) so only my kids think I'm old. OK? ONLY MY KIDS!! (Sorry, I'll stop shouting).And my hair's not grey. Except at the end of the month when the boot polish runs low. So that's all sorted. I hope I have re-established myself as a potential kidnapping target.And to glidernut, my apologies young man, as you know I love gliding as much as you do (anyway, a lot), and once my international gliding training school gets under way, we'll see who has the most gliding hangars! If your T-Rex hadn't poked his head through my brand new hangar I would already be in business ... (except for the lack of gliders and trainers, etc etc).But I don't have a theory on icon limits. As I keep telling everyone, I know nothing. Things like this have been very difficult to understand and unless the source code becomes available or agtim gets stuck into this problem, we'll probably never know.RobD.