Sign in to follow this  
Guest clark12

New here...

Guest clark12

Hi to all of you!For I'm new here, I think I should wish you all a happy new year! Keep flying the free skies!!!I'm flying FU2+3 for several years now and since then have been looking for helicopters to fly in FU3. Does anyone know about this? Is it possible in FU3 or not? Thanks for your help!Best greetings from Muenster!Chris

Guest glidernut

"Bump, aouch, stubd my toe".Hi Chris, Welcom abord. Sory but I dont think its bosibl, no.Its not the 3D model of a helicopter, that should not be any mor dificalt to do than that of an aicraft, witch is dificalt but posibl.And the cocpit sould be posibl to. Its simulating the flight carikteristiks thats the problem.You could hav a helicopter but it would fly like an aircraft.There are peopl hear that can change the flight carikteristiks of an aircrafta Little hear and there, but not so much as to make it fly like a helicopter. And probably never will, sory. "Bump, aouch, dun it agen".glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, stop kicking the furniture! (He gets very excited when a new member joins the forum). Closest you can get to a helicopter feel, IMHO, is to fly Captn Bazza's blimp - based on Cessna 172 plane with high lift. Very nice for glacially slow cruising up glacial valleys.Darn, just tripped over my desk

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"I'm flying FU2+3 for several years now and since then have been looking for helicopters to fly in FU3."It could be done in the same way that some people used to do it in FS prior to helicopter support there. This is to say that you could do a helo 3D model and give it a LOT of lift... but this is not and never has been very satisfying. IMO it would not be worth the effort. Sorry.Where is Muenster?Welcome to the forum. :)

Guest Ansgar

Hi and first a nice WELCOME Chris,(it seems we slowly must sort all our Chris

Guest Quaxo

Ansgar, I just had a semi-wild idea... We can't rotate the direction of the engine propulsion, and that's a fact... But can we just rotate the whole aircraft, so that the prop is on the top, and modify the 3D model accordingly? The head tilt should be modified too, to make it point "90 degrees down" - so that you look at the horizon and not at the sky.Then, the tail surfaces would be good to simulate the cyclic command (they would be active even in hovering, due to the prop wash); and the throttle would simulate the collective.But I have no idea how we could simulate the anti-torque... Maybe two large ailerons, put very close to the fuselage, would do - again, pushed by the prop wash...All these controls (tail planes and ailerons) would not be visible on the 3D model, but just "mathematically" modeled in the flight model.Would this be even remotely possible?Maybe the cockpit would have problems - the attitude indicator would indicate a 90 degrees climb when you're actually level...Cristian

Guest glidernut

If the shape of the ivisibl parts of the aircraft is such that imeadeatly after FU3 plasesthat aicraft on the ground, it falls over backwords so that the popeler is pointing at the sky!I think youv got sumthing there, Cristian. I think there is a way that the attitude indicator can be made to look and bihave corectly.By off seting the byte-map dounwords and then masking the top of this byte-map with a secondbyte-map which is an identical copy of that part of the panal.Yes I think this can be dun. Iv dun sumthing simaler.glidernut

Guest Ansgar

Hi Cristian and John,well, to simulate a heli behavior only half realistic is much more then simply turn a plane vertical!The problem is that you not only have the pitch of the rotor you also have the tail rotor which compensates the main rotor activ! not passiv.Also don

Guest CaptRolo

Christian; welcome to the forum , I will get your repaint this weekend and thanks for contributing to this Great Flight Sim . CaptRolo