Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Free saterlight imiges, posibly ?

Guest glidernut

Iv just fouwned this sight and douwn loded California + Nevada saterlight imiges for FREE athttp://www.seeyou.ws/satellite-namerica.phpBut the files are in .cmr format and I dont know if thay can be convertedto FU3 format or not ?I think thay are in couler, and the same sight may also hav terain hight datea.Can sum one with a beter brain than myin chec it out ?glidernut.

Guest glidernut

I found that if you rename the files extenshion from .cmr to .jif then youcan open them and see em. for exampl, rename from "N33W115.cmr" to "N33W115.jif"I dont know how many meaters per pixl thy are, but the reserlootin dontlook high inuf to me, What do you think ?We can change the palet to get the sea to look blou insted of black.glidernut.

Hi GlidernutLooks fine, but estimate resolution to about 10m/pixel or moreJust restart working at the Switzerland Tiles :-) :-wave agtim

It might be possible to edit the images and make them appear less blotchy. I'm thinking along the lines of sharpening or maybe sort of the opposte -- smoothening the rough transitions to limit pixelisation. Of course, the resolution won't really improve but it might look better at close range. To do this we would need to be able to batch convert rather than hand-editing each image. Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

agtimHans Petter10m/pixel!!! "O" dear, thats not realy good inuf is it?Bisides, I carnt make head nor tale of thees imiges!Iv tryed puting them together like a jigsor puzl but thay just dont make sens.Im going nowhere fast with thees.glidernut.

10m/pix is good enough, simply fly heigher. I was flying without HR maps. There is no difference at the height about 12 000 feet.B.Adamski

Guest jonpoint

And they have Australia too! Right, that's it - next project is scenery :-)And that's coming from someone who hasn't successfully flattened one piece of terrain yet (help, Andre - your planes are better than my understanding of scenery files).For example, in the Seattle region, the textures and mesh don't quite line-up in a few places. No problem I thought, just adjust the mesh to suit... OK, I gave up trying to relate coordinates and couldn't even work out WHERE the actual mesh data was so I gave up. Next, I thought I could 'simply' adjust the texture tiles with a bit of stretching and scrunching. Nice idea but...How does one identify the tile and how would one go about doing this? Obviously, creators of new scenery have to do it to make tiles line-up but how do I:* Identify the tile(s)* Export them to something editable (I have a great suite of graphics software)* Recombine and regenerate (I suspect this part is probably well documented but I just build planes and models so I'm a dunce in this arena!).I'd like to get Ranger creek back in the valley as well as fix a lot of other creeks and shorelines (like near Gilpin's Cove). From a graphics perspective, it's easy enough to alter textures dimensionally. I could even add a few things like better grass and dirt strips, better defined roads (it would have helped if they'd just made them all grey, huh?) etc. Also, night lighting is an issue and I know we haven't got very far, I would be happy to just remove a lot of it, especially on taxiways and around strips.The experience I gain thus can be used in the extension of what we have. I'd love to extend Sanfran northwards (or even have Oregon and Sth WA as an intermediate region - the 'Chinook Air' DHC6 AI model already has the Oregon State emblem on it...), and I'd luuuurv to extend WA west, past Wenatchee to Moses Lake etc. The eastern side of the range is great glider country too (Blanik America is based in Wenatchee).Planes are fun but I think it's gettin' time to hand the gauntlet to someone else. After the ASW28, T6 and F4U, AI updates, a new modelmip.tag (with muuuuch better trees) and of course, new models ;):-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Jon,I would REALLY like to see the SanFran region extended to the north and east. I have already made a list of the airports that I want to build, should this ever become a reality. I prefer the larger airports these days....since I "discovered" the Beechjet (:-)), and the SanFran region has a better selection of suitable airports. Extending the Seattle region west to the Pacific coast would be better for bush flyers and glider pilots, but ChrisD has already stated that this would be difficult/impossible.What I would like to know is this. If we could extend the SanFran region north and east, would we be able to match the colour palette with the existing scenery ? Would the joints between the old and new megatiles be seamless ? Would the extended scenery have to be classed as a NEW region, or can we just increase the size of the existing region ? What I am thinking about here is whether we would have to accept "Load new scenery area ?" type messages or not.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

>>What I would like to know is this. If we could extend the>SanFran region north and east, would we be able to match the>colour palette with the existing scenery ? Would the joints>between the old and new megatiles be seamless ? Would the>extended scenery have to be classed as a NEW region, or can we>just increase the size of the existing region ? What I am>thinking about here is whether we would have to accept "Load>new scenery area ?" type messages or not.>>Chris Low.I will try to expand the SanFran region with some self-made tiles during the week-end. I will report back with news on how it goes.Jon.You will definately need Andr

Hi Chris,Key for your project - Seattle to the west - is to have the required pictures at 4m/pixel or 1:10000 scale. Whitout this you can forget it.If we can have the pictures (low cost or free) the we can remake a larger Seattle region, even starting more to the west. Using FLEDViewer in an currently no finished version it is possible to rename the Megatile position inside .mod files. If it is not possible then you have to rebuild all you packages an airport after setting the bottom left point of the region more to the west. :-(But first question are - the pictures...and if you want to make 1 region from SanFran to Seattle the you have to choose 1 palette and remake one of the regions using the palette of the other region, a lot of work also. :-wave agtim

Hi Jon,Read my Terrain workshop pages at http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/Do you have 4m/pixel pictures ? if yes then cut squares of 4096x4096covering 16384m by 16384m of real world store it in a tga file using Sanfran or Seattle palette and then you can generate your first megatile using GenQuadrant - make .bin files (better quality) not .cpd Elevation: the square for a megatile is 257 by 257 (256x256 plus repetition of the last line/coloumn. You must use GeoTilesViewer to create elevationat all it's simpler to generate megatiles than flyable planes :-) :-wave agtim

Andre,I would prefer to extend the SANFRAN region, since there are a few airports that I would love to see in high resolution terrain scenery (Sacramento International, Stockton Metropolitan, Modesto City, Merced Municipal, Castle AFB.......). The Seattle extension to the west wouldn't be much good for Beechjet pilots, since most of the airfields are too small.I look forward to ChrisD's attempts to create a few "test" tiles for the extended SanFran region..... :9 Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello Andre,that page seems very complete - it also owns europe and afrika! :-jumpyAlso if they didn

Hi Ansgar,Yes Switzerland is in the pipeline but there will never be an uploaded version due to copyright limitation. All interested users will need to buy the original SwissInfo DVD.The price of such a DVD new released DVD is about 50 Euro but do not buy the current one because the picture border are dome with clouds and are unusable.The version we need is an outdated DVD of 11/2000, pictures are much better in that version. The main use of this DVD is the phone directory and time table of the swiss trains. There must be a lot of these DVD no longer used by office people as the data are outdated and so it must be possible to get it at low cost via ebay.There is a new elevation data page where we can download a 256x256 grid per megatile ( current is just 16x16 and all other points are interpolated !):-wave agtim