Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Competition: Where am I?

Guest R_Driscoll

Just for fun.Here are some pics, all posted before, showing different aspects of the sim. All you have to do is identify the location.The prize to the first correct entry is the right to say "I was first".Oh, OK. Jon'll send you a free Twin Otter via AVSIM when its completed. OK Jon?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60913.jpgEasy one to start.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60914.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60915.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60916.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/60917.jpgHard one - little detail!Best of luck!

Guest jonpoint

OK, I give up!I recognise SEA, CVA and Heathrow I think! Shows how much I hang around large airports :-lolAnd yes, the winner gets their face on the pilot in the Skybus DHC6 ;) You can then be only the sixth identity to fly in FU3 land - apart from Ansgar's nice folk in his Baron, first was Jim Lynch (GeeBee Jim) in the yellow GeeBee, then Caroline Corr in the Dash-8 (the pilot is the same guy in the Baron - hmmmm...), them some other guy in the Blanik and DHC6 :-rollOf course, you'd have to send me your photo first!:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

1. London Heathrow2. Osbourne House (a wild stab in the dark)3. SeaTac International4. Clare's Valley5. London GatwickChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Thats what I was gona sayglidernut

Guest R_Driscoll

Scores so far:Jon: 40% - you get a fuselage and a little bit of the left wing.Chris: 80% - its not Heathrow. But I am amazed - especially at getting Gatwick - I thought that would be too difficult! You get the full Otter except without landing gear, tail or flaps. Glidernut - 80% - too. The first pic, which I thought was the easiest because of the prize-winning terminal (not the model, I mean the original!) is the hardest!OK, here are some subtle clues.1) A

Guest glidernut

Stamerstred, Stamsted, Stated, Shansted, Wel sumat like dat.position: 728136.56250 346897.15625 121.48402Can I hav extra marks for cheek?glidernut.

Robert,The only reason that I guessed Gatwick is because of the control tower. I noticed the distinctive shape in your updated model set ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, of course you can. Automatic bonus (you don't even have to ask) for cheek gets you the glider version of the Twin Otter, yours for no extra cost. Next time you're flying the Otter, turn off both motors, set flaps, and the sky's the limit.;-) Chris, well done! I'll have to hide the control towers next time.Someone else's turn to post a few guess-where pictures?RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Yeah!Where's this?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61094.jpgFirst person to guess gets a copy of the package (no, it's not a posted package).Better yet, the first person to guess the airport AND explain why the ailerons are drooping and what the strange spikes on the ailerons and tail are (...) will get an preview DHC6 of their own choice to play with. Currently, Era, Lehto and the livery pictured are available.The only hint I'll give is that you descend over farmland but climb-out over suburbia. Oh, and I haven't edited the airport at all and the building in the background is an original LGS inclusion ;)Shouldn't be that hard ;)******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Jon,The airport looks like Harvey Field.As for the other stuff.....er, I'll let someone else bag the prize :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Thats what I was gona sayglidernut

Guest R_Driscoll

Can't identify the airfield, but I always agree with glidernut. As for the other matters:1) The spike on the back - an antenna ? Some wild possibilities: - VHF for VOR, or FM antenna for communications? - something to do with tail vortex effects? - maintenance put the pitot tubes at the wrong end of the aircraft? - electrical discharge?2) The spikes on the ailerons (the very thin and small black spikes drooping with the aileron) - static electrical discharge? - leverage assistance to aileron deployment (but they're too small) - aileron vortex dissociation at tips? - hat hangers for refuelling staff?3) Drooping ailerons: - you have just landed, and you want to avoid nose wheel bounce? - you are taking off with high flap but want to build good takeoff speed? - pilot has collapsed over yoke after terrifying landing?So I admit I haven't got a clue, just some guesses. RobD.

I don't know about the spikes. Antennae might trail from various parts of the fuselage but hardly from the ailerons. I would guess that they're involved in some kind of air flow dynamics.Next, why are the ailerons deflected downwards? In this aircraft ailerons double as flaps. Whenever you set flaps the ailerons will deflect. Then, for proper aileron action they will pivot around this new start position. Result: you get more lift (flaps action) as well as proper aileron action for banking.I just captured another screenshot. Where am I at? (I know -- a proper sentence should never end with "at" but then, my command of English is limited :-))http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/61243.jpg

Guest jonpoint

Well, Chris got the field and Hans-Petter got the flaperons. I tried doing them for the Dash-8 but they didn't work properly (they are modelled, just not visible). Now I've sorted it, I may update the Dash-8.Rob sorta suggested (amongst a lot of other things) that they might be static discharge, which is correct. If you look at real aircraft, you will see a lot of them. They are a passive device that basically causes any discharge to occur via the wires and not the trailing edges of control surfaces. This reduces pitting and degradation of the control surfaces whilst minimising discharge from other parts of the aircraft. They also play a sacrificial part in lightning protection by providing an element that can be easily replaced - better than having your elevators blown off :-eek Since I had a few polygons left, I thought they'd be a nice touch to the external views.:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest glidernut

I knew that.Thats what I was gona sayglidernut.