Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Extended SanFran Region

Has anyone had any luck in finding high resolution satellite images that could be used in any possible extension of the SanFran scenery region ? It is worth noting that the real world terrain to the east of the current SanFran region is basically flat, which therefore means that high resolution terrain mesh is not an essential requirement.The main airports that I would like to develop are as follows:-SACRAMENTO INTERNATIONAL (which is just outside the NORTHERN boundary of the region at 38 deg 42 min N, 121 deg 35 min W)STOCKTON METROPOLITAN (directly east of the northern section of the current region at 37 deg 53 min N, 121 deg 15 min W)MODESTO CITY (directly east of the southern section of the region at 37 deg 37 min N, 120 deg 57 min W)McLELLAN AFB (just outside the north-eastern tip of the region at 38 deg 40 min N, 121 deg 24 min W). This is now a normal airport, but I would like to build it as the air force base that it used to be.MERCED MUNICIPAL (east of the extreme southern section of the region at 37 deg 17 min N, 120 deg 31 min W).I would need one or two subcontractors to build the airport runways, terminals and other buildings :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,If someone can get this together, of course I would be happy to contribute models. A nice way to do this is with a new modelmip.tag file. I have been playing with the Seattle and Sanfran regions' files, replacing the old 'ntrees' and a few other models and it dawned on me that each region could have it's own 'personality'. For example, by replacing 'ntree2' with a tall, slender palm, my Sanfran region looks totally different! This would be good for UKS as we could replace the nondescript ntrees with more appropriate ones and everyone's packages will still work ;)Just an idea... :-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest Robs

Chris,Could the writer of the UKS scenery help with the data for sanfran?Could some other flight sim data be converted?Rob

Guest Robs

Chris,Could the writer of the UKS scenery help with the data for sanfran?Could some other flight sim data be converted?Rob

Guest Robs

Guest Robs

Guest Robs

Guest Robs

Guest jonpoint

Rob,That's a mighty stutter you've got there :-lolI'm sure Andre or Cristian could help but they are real busy right now with other things (aren't we all?).If someone can track down the required data (images only - at least we already have a mesh to work with), I'd like to turn my attention to that. I have downloaded nearly everything I can think of to learn about it, as well as Andre's tools. Once I have some image data, I could start trying to piece it together ;)The 2 regions I want to look at first are Eastern WA and Nth CA. In fact, I'd really like to just complete WA (especially to the West coast)!:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Jon,The airports that I want to build are EAST of the current SanFran region (apart from Sacramento International, which is just outside the northern boundary). Of course, this is entirely your decision, but I just wanted you to realise that there is an F22 strike force sitting at McChord AFB, armed and ready to bomb the **** out of Clare Valley.......in the (admittedly unlikely) event that you ignore my request ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I spent some time tracking down suitable images but there HAS to be a cheaper way! Just to get 100 x 100km costs thousand$$$$ :-eek Definitely a rip-off. Unfortunately, all my USGS links seem to point to commercial organisations that charge ridiculous amounts. I even tried doing it as a 'not-for-profit' venture but the costs are still astronomical (we're talking ~$1700US then...). There is simply no justification for this IMHO.So, if anyone has any bright ideas, let me know. I thought about reverse-engineering it out of another package (with permission) but it seems the scenery creators must have struck their own deals as their usage is exclusive. I posted a request at FGFS but got not one reply. Seems like everyone is doing it 'on the quiet' ;)I am actually prepeared to spend SOME money on this, just not THAT much :-(Speaking of Clare's Valley, you'll have to get past my new Mt St Helens! I found a 3d model of it on the 'net!!!:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************