Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Control Tower model

There is a model of a control tower in the Seattle model set. It is called "atower", and I would like to see a version of this for the SanFran region. Can one of our expert model builders oblige me ? I prefer this control tower model to the rather bland ones currently available in the SanFran region, and so I would like to use this model at those SanFran airports that I upgraded from Unicom to tower control.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I will have a look at this tonight, and if I have any problems converting it, I will let you know. I don't remember this particular one, but it has probably already been converted for the extended database for San Fran - there have been several versions put on AVSIM. But I think you will want a stand-alone version you can add to your packages.Of course you are welcome to use any of the other control towers that I made for the UKS series.

Guest jonpoint

Sure, Chris!Lemme have a look at it tonight ;) As you may be aware, I'm playing with the modelmip.tag files right now (in the background) and I think we can get some major improvements. For example, (this has just struck me), by putting the 'atower0' bin and mipfiles into Sanfran we get an 'atower'. By putting them in but with the same name as an existing Sanfran tower, you automatically get 'atowers' in place of the 'rather bland' (an understatement if I ever heard one) ones. This is the principle behind my tree updates. The only 'trick' is to ensure one has a similar footprint to avoid the 'spanning megatile' issue.:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Robert,This control tower models is NOT in the extended SanFran models database. If it was, I would have found it by now ! :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jon,Perhaps you could replace the tall tower that is located at places like Palo Alto and San Jose International. The "atower" model would look much nicer at these airports.By the way, I am very likely to order a new PC this week, so I will be able to get smooth framerates in FU3.....even in bad weather. I am REALLY looking forward to it. The specification that I am considering is as follows:-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPUGigabyte GA-K8N-PRO Motherboard with NForce III 150 chipset1024Mb DDR400 RAM128Mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics cardSoundblaster Audigy 2 sound card120Gb Serial ATA150 HDD16x DVD-ROMChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

A fast CPU speed is what FU3 seems to likes.The CPU speed is useualy given as MHz, so I dont know what 64 3200+ CPU meens?My CPU is 3.08 MHz, which was the fastest I could fined at the time and is stil fasterthan most even to this day.It would be a pity to waste a fast grafix card like yous on a slow PC.glidernut.

Glidernut,The AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU is as fast as a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 for games and stuff. I am pretty sure that it will run FU3 at a comfortable speed :-)By the way, 3.08Mhz wouldn't run FS4 at a decent speed, never mind FU3 :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I've extracted it but I was going to touch-up the mipfile a bit before I give it to you. The Sanfran pallette looks a bit weird right now ;) It's sorta icky yellow...I'll send it tomorrow.:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest R_Driscoll

You guys better lock up your computers at night - I'm still using a 500MHz machine (well I had to save a bit of money to buy the MAZDA 323 supermachine), and I'm still using a Nvidia TNT2 card found during excavation of an ancient Hittite site. So I don't have all the options on when I fly ...Chris I didn't get to your tower last night - if Jon hasn't then I will try again tonight. Sorry.

Guest jonpoint

It doesn't matter too much what video card you use. FU3 doesn't get any faster with a 128mb card than it does with a 32mb card - it's (mostly) all in the processor ;) Sure, a later card will have better FSAA and Anisotropy but my neihbour's high-tech system (3GHz, $600 video card etc) only gets marginally better framerates than my old Athlon 1700+ in FU3. I'm sure it would be better than mine for newer applications though.So, don't feel too bad, Rob! I can still set mine to give about 5fps :-eek That said, that's one nice PC you're getting, Chris :9:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Jon,The motherboard is now a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800-Pro (with a VIA chipset), since I was told that this is superior to the one with the NForce III 150 chipset.The graphics card will be used to power other stuff.....like Deus Ex : Invisible War and Half Life 2 :9Oh, and thanks for taking the trouble to convert the tower model. It is greatly appreciated.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png