Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Finally! A cockpit for the DHC-6

Guest jonpoint

This has taken longer than expected...Finally I have something workable. And it's only taken 8 weeks :-rollF3 day panelhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65732.jpgF3 night panelhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65733.jpgExtra viewhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65734.jpgThe F2 view is a subset of the F3 view. There are a couple of minor changes since these shots but they convey the 'feel' OK. Our intrepid beta testers will be giving her one last check and, everything going to plan, she'll be uploaded next week :-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest Jim Lynch

Looks like a winner pardner. Will the initial release have floats ?

Guest jonpoint

Hey Jim! Long time no speak...No, the first release doesn't get floats - that's another learning curve ;) I did start doing it but stopped when I realised I'd have to borrow polygons. I do intend to revisit it in a while.Another thing, although the floats are removable (takes about a day to do the conversion), I am not aware that there is an amphibious version. As long as that isn't a major restriction for folks, I'll do it. Maybe a good one for the BFU folks ;)Good to hear from you. And thanks again for pressuring me on the GeeBee - I still have a lot of fun with it!:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest CaptRolo

Looks like a winner , And many thanks for your hard work in making this a flyable mod.CaptRolo

Guest Jim Lynch

>Hey Jim! Long time no speak...>>No, the first release doesn't get floats - that's another>learning curve ;) I did start doing it but stopped when I>realised I'd have to borrow polygons. I do intend to revisit>it in a while.>>Another thing, although the floats are removable (takes about>a day to do the conversion), I am not aware that there is an>amphibious version. As long as that isn't a major restriction>for folks, I'll do it. Maybe a good one for the BFU folks ;)>>Good to hear from you. And thanks again for pressuring me on>the GeeBee - I still have a lot of fun with it!>>:-wave>>******************>* Jonathan Point *>****************** I don't mean to pressure y'all on this one neither. I'll jest leave ya to ya own devices. It's shore lookin good !> Jimbo

Guest Allan_D

Hi Jonathan.It looks good for FU3 thank you. and I would like to see an Amphibious if it's possible.The other game already has it and it's a lot fun to usehttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/65753.jpgIt's a fun Plane to use I'm not sure if it's available in the real world? I've never seen one of themhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/65755.jpgHave Fun :-jumpyAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest jonpoint

Jim,Some 3D views may help get that underway ;) I had no joy with the Z - there's heaps of stuff on the R2, thanks to Delmar's well-publicised replica - and to Delmar himself!Allan,Yes, they do exist although (I) haven't seen an amphibious one. I have some photos of one being 'shored' in Vancouver. They drove it onto the gravel beach, attached dollies to the floats and towed it onto dry land with a towtruck!I have also seen 'in-progress' photos of the wheels-to-float changeover which looks easy enough - jack the wheels up (by the struts on the mains), slide the floats under, attach to struts, attach struts to fuselage at front (remove the steps first), then remove the nosewheel and bolt a waterproof cover over the hole!Also, after reading a few accident reports (hey, I'm designing an aircraft - may as well see what happens when they go bad...), it appears that they have no steerage in the water, apart from throttle adjustments. One accident in particular occurred because the pilot was too busy watching out the window to notice he'd grabbed the WRONG throttle lever :-eek By the time he'd realised his mistake and cut the throttle, the engine had spun-up - whoops, too late! Instead of turning away from the wharf, he turned right into it, destroying the aircraft :-( :-(The accident was blamed on the aircraft having no primary steerage at low speeds and relying only upon the slowly-responding engines. Another report (engine blew-up on takeoff, causing the aircraft to plummet into a crowd of boats), blamed unauthorised use of reverse thrust whilst on the water. The airline said it was standard practise in windy conditions to use differential throttling as the plane had no steerage to pull away from the wharf. The resulting intake of salt spray was enough to damage the engine. Poor pilot (and passengers)...I suppose a 'floaty' version isn't out of the question ;):-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Guest Motormouse

Hi Jon,nice work on the panel there.Looking forward to getting that one in my hangar."Another report (engine blew-up on takeoff, causing theaircraft to plummet into a crowd of boats), blamedunauthorised use of reverse thrust whilst on the water. Theairline said it was standard practise in windy conditions touse differential throttling as the plane had no steerage topull away from the wharf. The resulting intake of salt spraywas enough to damage the engine. Poor pilot"hmm....I think someone was being a bit harsh on the poor pilot there,the Pt 6 intake uses an inertial separator,to 'catch' and divertmoisture/ice and heavier particles away from the actual air inlet,operating in a sea spray should've been no worse than operating in heavy rain, and I never heard of that causing a Pt 6 to 'blow up'.:-wavePete

Guest glidernut

Hang on, what the dikins is an (.ace) file?What program do I open Jon,s (2ndbeta.ace) atatchment with?Its not fair, every one els is playing with it, err, I meen beter testing itand I carnt even get it open!glidernut.:-hmmm

There are WinZip, WinRar and WinAce. Rar allows higher compression than zip and ace may provide even higher compression. WinAce "understands" the two other compression formats and may even save as zip or rar.WinAce is payware (aren't they all?) but you may download a working demo. Just do a search for "WinAce" and you'll find it. Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Thank you Hans Petter,I found the freewhere Winace demoe but I chikined out at the last minit.Iv had a WinZip paywhere program on anerlyer PC but with all the diferant setings I found it to be a bit too complicated for my use.My new XP PC has its owne zip program, all be it very baceic, it soots me just fineand I realy dont want to change for fear of not being able to get things back to how thy are.Iill whate and get the DHC-6 from avsim.Im no good at beter testing anyway.Sory Jon.It dus look good.glidernut.:-wave

Hello.I received the file DHC6-2nd beta on my old system Win.98SE. but can not open it.I tried everything incuding Winace, but no luck.Is there other unpack programs to use here??So far no joy.It also seems that some tool in internet explorer is making this fileunable to use.Lars Peter.:-hmmm

Hey, I just unzipped it (well, "unaced" it :-)) and used ResViewer to build the sky diver version. I'm going to fly them now :-)WinAce does not interfere with any other file compression programs that you may have. Just associate it with *.ace only and leave *.zip for WinZip or XP's built-in zip application. If any of you wants me to send the entire application (latest version), just send me a note (2.something MB). I won't put my email address here (to avoid spam) but I know that Glidernut as well as Lars Peter have my email address.WinAce is made by a German company and I find it very easy to use.It "speaks" English or German, depending on your preferences.Hans Petter

Well, sorry to say.English-Norwegian-German-Asia.No luck open it.The file is shown just as a shadow in Outlook express,-not available to open into anything.Lars Peter.

Hans,I installed WinAce 2.5, and then wondered why all of the menus were in German ! Fortunately, I realised what to do, and I have successfully installed the beta version of Jon's DHC6 on my PC.It's a very nice looking plane, it sounds great, and it handles well. The only issue that I have with it is the F2 VFR cockpit view. I think everyone on this forum is aware that I like my F2 views nice and uncluttered, but I was constantly trying to "see over the dashboard" :-)That's just me being fussy, though. The plane is a GEM.Chris Low.PS. Just a word of advice, Jon. Upload the finished package as a ZIP file ;-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png