Sign in to follow this  
agtim

New elevation quality for FU3.

Until now we had 1 real elevation value for 1 km and all points between was fractal interpolation. From a hint from ChrisS I take the Switzerland data from:ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/Eurasia/Now with the new SRTM-1 elevation data we can have a real value grid of about 30m ! :-)I just made the first tests and adaptations to my GeoTilesViewer to generate the new elevation for the Switzerland region. Results are very impressive.http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/BSQTile.jpghttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/SWI0431.JPGhttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/SWI0432.JPGhttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/SWI0433.JPG:-wave agtim

Very interesting!A high resolution mesh is particularly important for alpine mountain regions. These rocks result from upheaval and erosion which causes jagged edges and steep walls. A low resolution mesh is fine for hills and meadows, as in Britain. Hence, the better resolution will really make a difference in Switzerland. I've had much fun with a payware FS mesh for Switzerland and my favorite area is around Interlaken, Mehringen and Ulrichen. If we could get this region in FU3, created by someone who lives in Switzerland that would be "truly awesome" :-)Since FU3 has a real wind model that interacts with the terrain this would be splendid for gliding. Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Andre,One word...WOW :-jumpyDoes this mean we could correct existing meshes? I know UKS is pretty flat but in my memory it's not THAT flat. This would restore those little hillocks that right now just become one long slope.Anyway, with the planes out of the way shortly, this is what i want to work on next.Thanks for supporting out great sim ;)******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Hi Jon,The quality for UK also is about that of Bembridge, the Needles or Lundy. I checked the IOW and will try to make the middle part as a test to join the Needles and Bembrige with an accurate elevation.Andre

Hi Hans,I am working on this region, but allone and slowly.synchronozation of the elevation with the texture is rather difficult in the mountains. We will see.Andre

Guest jonpoint

Andre,WOW, WOW, WOW ( :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy )Mind you, my current UKS still has water everywhere :-(I spoke to RobD (on the phone) and have come to the conclusion that I need to start UKS from a fresh install. My version was always buggy, with water everywhere and a lot less airport icons than I actually have installed (e.g. Heathrow IS installed but doesn't appear on the map). Also, I can only select from an airport (which, with only 3 makes it difficult). If I select an open space, I am offset somewhere into the Atlantic :-grrI started a package for Hastings/Battle/Sedlescombe but stopped because I feared my 'offset' problem would put my packages into Scotland :-eekAnyway, a couple of weeks and I'll be ready to get into it. Thanks BTW for all your brilliant work so far. I am looking forward to some gliding in Switzerland sometime :-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Hi Jon,This is the problem with the unresolved computation of map to world using params in the config file.But start from a POI and your placement is ok. :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

agtim, I am so glad you faver FU3 and not sum other sim!Yes, impressive, thats the word for it, very impressive!WOUW, that was the bigest douwn louwd Iv ever dun,well it wasant actualy a proper douwn lowd, the normal douwn louwd didant work,but I could see the zip folders, about 6 thousand of em, so I created an empty folder on my desk-top and then selected all the zip folders and copy and pasted them into my desk-top folder.This worked quight well, althowe I did get an errer mesage about harf way throuw highlighting the fact that there is one zip mising! The mising zip is N40E051.hgt.ZIP ?!?! or perhaps its just a nameing errer?Anyway, it took my sooper fast PC and brord-band 42 hours to compleat the douwn louwd! It must be hel for them without brord-band!I presoom this is how every one els is douwn louwding it too?The questyon is, do I need them all? and now that Iv got them all, what do I do with them?PS, HO theres a BSQ Program, Iill look see what that dus?glidernut.

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,Yes, I downloaded all there was, just in case I needed it.glidernut.:-wave

Hi Glidernut,Download the DEM2BSQ.exe also. See the URL in my previous post.You can then after first unzip the hgt, then transform to bsq using this program. having somes bsq files you can crop and merge it so to get a megatile area of FU3.I have selected a 5 x 6 Megatile area using crop and merge then with the process button remove the missing values (red) by interpolation. then upsize from 3 to 1 arc . you can view the elevation map ( first picture of this tread)you can create a bitmap crop it and reimport it to a bsq file again.I made the final crop of the Tiles using this bitmap and resized bitmaps of the texture of FU3 terrain and GIMP adjusting transparent texture over the elevation bitmap until reaching a best fit.My last modifications to GeoTilesViewer will add the map conversion from the final bsq file.That is what we can do whit it. UKS elevation can be refined now.:-wave agtim

Guest Ansgar

Hello Andre,boy that looks absolutely fantastic now!!!It was that art of terrain I would like to fly in with FU3. I have an very early version of your switzerland, tested it but found that it doesn

Guest Robs

Hi AllI like the high res switzerland!Quick scenery question here but on the FS2002 scenery library there seems to be a number of photo regions eg Chile - can these be converted to FU3? (with appropriate permissions of course)Also can these be made to coexist in the same install so you can fly between them? currently my UKS and switzerland are in seperate installs.Rob.