Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr Frizbee

Asleep at the controls.

Guest Mr Frizbee

I don't know you if you have this problem, but in real life it maybe considered a slight drawback to your employability as a pilot. I find that when I'm up in an aircraft such as the Renegade or the Trainer, which has a very monotonous loud engine drone, I just fall asleep. The constant noise of the engine knocks me out after about half an hour. I'll be found slouched in my chair like a guy who has been the victim of a drive by shooting. My mouth will have lolled open as I slumber and I'll look like someone who's just hade a very large fly vomit on them. I'll also look at my computer screen to find that my aircraft has landed large bits of its self very messily in a field somewhere. Such is life I guess.....Discuss.....

I'd say that's either an old man's problem or a problem related to the generally sleep-deprived American life-style :-)You might try to fly shorter legs. The truly interesting parts of a flight are the take-off and the landing. A long cruise may be boring, unless you enjoy the scenery. If you don't, please engage the auto pilot and go grab some food. However, please do not grab a can of beer or pop a bottle of wine since those beverages have been shown to contribute to drowsiness, in several independent studies. Tomato juice and carbonated water, on the other hand, present themselves as very good alternatives for pilots. Limited amounts of "java" will also be fine.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

"I'd say that's either an old man's problem or a problem related to the generally sleep-deprived American life-style "Well, I'm not THAT old yet (don't ask my daughter though...) but I too suffer from the same problem. In fact it's one thing I love about FU3 - most flights are 60 minutes or less. Problem is, after spending 2-3 hours working on planes or models, I love to go for a fly just to unwind. The number of times I have awoken to a loud CRASH or SPLASH is not funny. Leaves you rather disturbed too *:-* Headphones can help because you can maintain realistic sound levels but even then, one night when testing the Dash-8, I closed my eyes for a minute, just to imagine being a passenger. Just like when you try to sleep on an aircraft, I drifted in and out a bit.All of a sudden I awoke to the sound of tearing metal :-eekI had fallen asleep for 2 hours, run out of fuel and crashed somewhere in Montana :-lol Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

I think you have just been sacked from the FU3 promotional program. "Buy this program, within minutes you will be fast asleep". So get out of the windhawk, go fly one of Jon's BG's or the Red Baron. Or takeup gliding! - that keeps you awake too.

Guest effyouthree

Or, take an extended flight, complete with all the trimmings ;)Last night I took Ansgar's 747 from GTF to SanFran. Shortly after takeoff (whilst climbing to altitude), the Stewardess (my daughter...) brought me a cup tea. 10 minutes later, the in-flight movies were on (Foxtel...), so I chose something interesting (a documentary on the B-17 FLying Fortress) and watched that. After that, dinner was served (remarkably good for airline food - fillet steak, mash, vegies AND gravy), followed by blueberry danish with ice-cream.As we reached the Sanfran area, back to the flightdeck, on the radio to ATC for vectors to SFO. As the Stewardess collected the plates and such we began descending towards SFO. We were given a short final and arrived ahead of schedule, before taking our place in the queue to the terminal.No bags to collect, it took me 5 minutes to brush my teeth and get ready for bed. Nothing like arriving relaxed ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"