Sign in to follow this  
Guest effyouthree

Better ntrees - demo with Chris Low's packages

Bogdan, I've got WinRar 3.3 as well. I can split files and I'm sure that there's a way to join them again. So, how do I go about it?Let's say that I've got three spanned rar files that should be combined to form the original file. Do I simply place them all within one directory and decompress the first one? Or, do I decompress each one and then use some WinRar command to join them?Hans Petter

Ok. I have the same version.Click 2x at the file you want to unpack. You must click at the first file (name_part01.rar), then choose Unpack to ( I have polish version so I'm not sure if it's named 'unpack to' - I have 'wypakuj do' :-hmmm ). Choose the folder where you want to unpack and click OK. That's all. You'll get original file(s) (unpacked) in this folder. It's very easy. Try it using any file you want : pack it and unpack.B.Adamski

Got it!The English commands are "Add" and "split to volumes, bytes". In other words, you define the size of each part. Then, when the spanned rar files have been created you go "Extract to" and select the first file. WinRar then extracts and joins the segment automatically.Hans Petter

Bogdan,Off topic for the moment, early indications are that FLED works much better with my new PC than it did with the old one. Hopefully, I will be able to work in a "freeze and crash free zone" in the future ;-)Also, did you get AI airliners to work properly at Renton Municipal ? They appear to be working fine now in my install of FU3...ever since I changed the active runway to 15.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So, as I said fled isn't bad. I observed only departure traffic on my FU. I must look yet, but I don't expect any changes.B.Adamski

Bogdan,Strangely enough, only seeing departing airliners at Renton Municipal would be very realistic. Every airliner that is built there never returns once it has departed.Fortunately, I have seen some AI airliners land at the FU3 version of this airport....and that is what I prefer ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello Bogdan.I used to work with "winrar" many years ago and it is great.After that "winzip" was the main package program for me to use.Now exploring the "winace",- I am going to buy the lincence for this.The compress of files using the "winace" is a very huge step foreward.Best regards.Lars Peter. :-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi,Here's an extract from WinAce Help, subject the SFX module. Using the Winace SFX and with .zip extension, and having the file broken down to smaller files might be the way to go. Theoretically?....."An SFX-module is an independent program which contains an extracting module as well as the actual archive data. This is useful when you are distributing archives and are not sure whether the recipients of the data have the right tool to decompress your archive.By using SFX-modules ("self-extracting") Ace archives can be distributed easily. The only downside is the slightly increased size of the archive due to the extraction module, that needs to be added (about 10-50 kB, depending on the type of module).Windows-SFX-Module (32Bit, ACE and ZIP): This module is a bit larger, adding up to 80 kB to your archive and runs under Windows95/98/NT4 only. It is easier to use and highly configureable Every SFX archive is extractable like a normal archive, independent from the type of module it contains. WinAce handles SFX-archives like any other normal archives. They can be opened and extracted without actually starting the module. WinAce recognizes the type regardless of the file extension. A Windows-ZIP-Module is extractable under DOS by PKUNZIP.EXE as well."................ I tested it on a 412mb Terrascene2, FlyII project file. The file I ended up with at the destination directory 4.6mb(Hard to believe it compressed something that big to such a small size) file name AstoriaN.zip. Course wasn't a good test because I have Winace. Would been better to test on a pc without Winace on it(or the original file for that matter). Decompressed to my "F" drive and the file seems ok.The SFX module supports different languages, also allows a small text file to be added to the archive. Pretty neat.JimB

Yesterday I've heard the anouncement for landing, but the plane then dissapeared ( I have Runway 32 with ILS ). Send me your Renton for tests.B.Adamski

How expensive is WinAce ?Can he split the files ?B.Adamski

SFX files are good for big files. WinRar and WinZip have an option for creating sfx files too.B.Adamski

Guest effyouthree

Yes, they all do it but 'Jsplit' does it easier and neater. Also, unlike spanned WinZip files, I NEVER get a bad CRC in the middle of a spanned set :-grrI have fully licensed versions of WinZip and WinAce and use them both. The best combination I've found is to create an 'SFX' self-executing (.exe) file with WinAce, then use split it up with Jsplit. Not one error (so far) and lots of happy file recipients :-waveIn any case, the 'ntree upgrade' will be small (<500k) so we don't need to worry (I think that's where this started...).Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"