Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

What FU3 plane do you like flying best ?

As far as I am concerned, nothing comes close to the Beechjet. It handles superbly (both in the air and on the ground), the view from the cockpit is excellent, and the roar when the thrust reversers are engaged is magnificent !I have tried flying Ansgar's Boeing 747-400, but I now realise that it is just far too big and heavy for my flying style. Left downwind at Alameda NAS took me directly over Oakland International, and then the tower controller at Alameda told me that I was going the wrong way :-eek I also noticed that the minimum level of power required to move it forwards on the ground is not enough when it is turning. Messing around with the power levels because of this is rather annoying.I would also add that Jon Point's Dash 8 seems to be a bit too light as far as ground handling is concerned. In fact (and I apologise to Jon here for such a shocking statement), the ground handling reminded me too much of the planes in MSFS :-eek It seems to suddenly lurch forwards once a certain power level has been reached, and the taxi speed can get rather excessive rather quickly ! In addition, even though the "pitching up" as the power is reduced is perfectly authentic....it plays havoc with my style of flying ;-) I will persevere with this plane though, because it is outstandingly beautiful, with a fantastic 3D model, and a superb cockpit view. The engines also sound incredible.My favourite prop plane.......drum roll........is Ansgar's modified Beechcraft Baron. Wow, there's a surprise :-)Anyway, enough about my opinions. What planes do YOU like best, and why ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

I carnt remember its name just now, but its that one with wings,you know the one, the one that flys.I think its grate.glidernut.:-wave

I'm a Beech Baron kind of person :-)I had been flying the current MS Flight Simulator for years when I discovered FU3. I'm still flying the current Flight Simulator and I do frequent another forum. However, unlike most FS fans we concentrate on general aviation aircraft. Most kids prefer fighter planes with a lot of bellicose action and most civilian simmers prefer "heavy metal". Former and would-be (OK, maybe "wannabe") pilots prefer GA aircraft that there's a fair chance we have flown/will fly for real.FU3's focus on GA aircraft was right on as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to fly any kind of aircraft and Ansgar's B747 is a valued extension of this sim. Still, I'm really "at home" inside the cockpit of a single or a twin engine GA aircraft. Retractable gear is nice if you want to go somewhere fast but I don't really mind. However, I prefer tricycle gear (nose wheel) to taildraggers.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest VFR_Steve

Ooo yes.. has to be the default Beechjet & Ansgar's modified Beechcraft Baron for me also :)

Guest effyouthree

My favourite FU3 'seat' right now is the Seagull, although the Butcher Bird is running a close second...The Butcher soars really well and is great for thermals although, with a stall speed of 5kts and a wingspan of 650mm, the Seagull is better around buildings and trees. The butcher's 1.2m wingspan and 17kt stall make it a bit hard to negotiate verandah landings although it does great hangar fly-throughs - I did 2 complete circles last night before flying back out and landing under a trailer. Also, the seagull is darn noisy sometimes - the incessant shrieks makes the GeeBee's sound tame by comparison. Confused? Watch this space (or, one near it) :-lolI'm still going for the Seagull though ;)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest effyouthree

Sorry... planes, planes!My favourite plane is my Stanley #4.My favourite FU3 aircraft is still the Beechjet, followed by:Heavy - Ansgar's 747Medium - My Dash-8 with Ansgar's DC3 close secondGA twin - Steve's version of Ansgar's version of... the Baron.GA single - Ansgar's 'Dago Red' GA? Well...Floatplane - the Rennie, of course ;)Glider - I'm biased, but with no 'easy way out' (i.e. engine), the L-13 forced me to glide - properly.Others - The Cub has always been special too. The GeeBee also has a certain 'brutality' to it, which isn't great therapy but gets the adrenaline flowing ;)Of course, being a developer, you can just ignore my bias! This still puts the Beechjet, 747 and DC3 up there, followed by the Baron.:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest juvat2

Wow, I don't have any one particular all-time favorite. My favs are kind of broke down in the kind of flight I plan to take.For flights Sea2SF, Las Vegas etc I typically like Ansgars 747 or Danny's Lear45(also has the thrust reversers, but are not visible when deployed), for props Jon's Dash8 is super. Medium flights I like the Barons-Ansgars, Steve Hess, but mainly Hans Big Red. I'll fly the Barons for the long flights as well but this is when I have time to plan "lay-overs" to see the outter terrain in more detail. For shear blazing fun in those kinds of long flights Hennie's HotRod Baron is a pleasure for zooming low through the ranges.But now Jon's Otter weighs-in and may bump the Baron's out for me.My favorite of the Cessna's are either Steve Hess's C182 or Artisan Developers beautiful Trainer EG 172 for getting about with-in the hi-res regions themselves or looking at something interest like the Salt Lake, Bonnieville Salt Flats, Grand Canyon, or Meteor Crater. Actually I find myself in these more often as long flights are rare for me. Many a time I'll move past the Cessna stable and climb into Steve Hess's Piper Archer3-she's a beauty.You all take care,JimB

Ansgar's Baron is great, and I still enjoy flying the Renegade, 'cause I like water ops, and the Puget Sound area is grreat for that. Tom's Skyhawk v2.0 is in there, too!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hello.I can not point out a clear favorite, but I find myself often in the seat of the Mooney Bravo.For short flights I also use Jan Haagdoren's Cessna with "Artisan's" livery. Those aircrafts will in the future find hard competition from the new DHC-6.For longer flights The Beetchjet and Ansgar's 747 is a natural and perfect choice.Using the seaplanes, the Grumman Goose is for me nr.1.The heavy feeling and the sound of those engines is amasing.apart from that, anything that has wings is great:) Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't think Glidernut would like the Stanley 4, since (from memory, and its a long time since I've driven one) they have no wings. And its a glider of course, so has no engine. Doesn't have yoke, pedals, instruments or much in the way of a tail either. Poor passenger room, although it has quite sharp lines - looks nice. Good for landing - you can put them down on a benchtop practically. Not quite sure why you rank this ahead of such precision instruments as the Renegade though.This thread seems to be a revival of a very old thread. But I have so many favourite planes its hard to choose. Here we go again - the Renegade, Pipers, Cessnas, Barons, Beechjet, B747, Ultralight, Cub (only tail dragger I can cope with), Blanik, arrrgghhh - why do I have to choose?RobD

Guest glidernut

RobD.OK, I giv up, What is a "Stanley 4"?glidernut

Guest effyouthree

Hah! You asked for it ;)#4 Smooth plane, 9"L, 2"W, 3 3/4lbs, 1869-1984.The standard smoothing plane. This, along with the #5, are what made Stanley a fortune. This plane will out-smooth any sanding, scraping, or whatever on most woods. There are woods that present themselves as problems for this plane, and the rest of the Stanley bench planes for that matter, but this shouldn't deter you from owning one. The planes were designed to be general purpose and affordable, not to conquer any wood tossed their way. Many modern woodworkers have their first plane epiphany with this little tool as the curls come spilling out its mouth. Occasionally, you might find an early version of this plane with a built-in oiler located at its knob which holds oil that is drained through perforations drilled through the sole, directly beneath the knob. This was an aftermarket addition, and unlike other aftermarket ideas, like the tilting handles on modified #10's, which Stanley eventually put into production, the oiling device soon became a genetic deadend in the tool tree. The same oiling device can also be found on #5's. Like this, sorta (this is a #5 but you get the idea...)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/69376.jpgRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Yes, that's a plane that I'm familiar with. It's a rugged utility plane that works well on rough surfaces. However, unlike other planes this one should touch down rather "flat". Do not attempt to flare as you touch since then it will bounce. I mostly use this plane for "regional" operations inside the workshop. It handles quite well.Nois pline :-)Hans Petter