Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcomm

Got FU3!!! Help appreciated ...

Guest jcomm

I just installed my good, old , FU3 back, after all the time without it. Got the CDs from an old flightsim friend in Portugal!Now, I have some questions...1) I installed, flawlessly over WinXp Pro, and then downloaded the only patch I found at the AVSIM library for the UK version.2) I installed the UK patch, wich brings FU3 to v2;Question) Are there any further official/unofficial patches?Question) I get a very strange sound, particularly when flying the BeechJet. When I increase throttle I get a sort of high pitch prop sound, instead of the old jet sound. Is there anything I can do to solve this?Thx for any help/suggestions/whatever...

Hello J.C. and welcome.There is only one patch made for FU3.US, German and UK version and I don't think you are able to install the wrong version.All of them are available here at the Avsim FU3 library.About that strange engine sound with the Beechjet this is new to me.I have never experienced this or heard about it before.Using XP pro, Your soundcard should be able to handle it nicely,but you can take a look into the soundcard settings.If anything fails you can try to copy over the "beechjet.res" directlyfrom the original CD again.Maybe others here have better ideas??Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Bom dia jcomm -- I've got a feeling that I know you from another forum :-)I don't know about strange sound files but please check which version of the sim you've got. I bought mine from a US webshop a few years ago and installed the US patch. English versions floating around in Europe may be US or UK. Hans Petter

Guest jcomm

Thx Hans!I'll check it, but I am almost sure it's the UK one. I bought it when it was released, and then I gave it to a friend of mine when I had a complete puter crash and no money to buy a new one...I'm back flying it. Of course, many things have happened in between, but it certainly is STILL the most true to real sensation of flight - IMHO!

Guest effyouthree

JC,If you have Resviewer (if not, download it immediatly!), open the Beechjet resfile, select an engine sound and play it. Does the problem still occur? If so, you need to look into your soundcard settings. If not, try setting you sound levels at 70% (including desktop and 'wave' volumes as well). Basically, any overload will generate high-order intermodulation. Due to the 11kHz sample rate of many FU3 sounds, these intermodulation artifacts can appear in the audible spectrum and sound real weird! Sometimes, a rising pitch sound becaomes a falling-pitch one :-erks The reason is, as soon as a tone goes over 11kHz, it is 'mixed' with the sample rate and 'sum' and 'difference' frequencies are generated. For example, a 12kHz tone will not generate 12kHz but 1kHz, the difference between the tone and the sample rate. As you raise the tone in pitch, say 13kHz, the difference tone becomes 2kHz! Messy? You bet :-( How does this happen? When you distort any pure tone, harmonics are generated. With FU3, the sounds are mixed digitally (i.e. before conversion to audio) and when overload occurs, the results are entirely unpredictable.I had this problem trying to get a good (brutal) turboprop sound for the Dash-8 and DHC-6. The DHC-6 was worse as it was a higher pitch anyway.Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest jcomm

Jonathan,thx a lot for your remarks! I will try to find out where to download that Res Viewer from, as well as the DHC-6 and Dash-8 you mentioned in your post - I didn't know they existed for FU3!!!I will also buy FU2 because, contrarily from FU3, it is widely available here in Portugal.

J.C,Adding the San Francisco scenery from FU2 will be the best decision you ever make. However, it is worth noting that you will need to uninstall your existing version of FU3, and then install FU3 and the FU2 scenery at the same time. This is unavoidable.By the way, those DHC6 and Dash 8 planes were developed by....JON POINT !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png