Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

LAX2OLM Not Gonna Make IT?

Guest juvat2

I'm flying a saved flight plan LAX 2 OLM in the Beechjet. In the Flight3 manual page 79,has fuel capacity as 4912lb and range of 1669nm. My fuel flow gauges have been a steady 1500pph maybe a tad less. Watching the fuel quantity indicators, it's apparent I'm not going to make it.I've just crossed the Cal/ Or border. The MFD shows 291 miles to OLM.Looking at the map screen notepad it indicates the flight as a total of 818 nm.I did a quickee trip plan with Rand MC Trip Maker and by road its understandably much further at 1094 miles.1500pph and 4912lbs onboard at beginning of flight, shouldn't I easily make it?I hope my fuel quantity gauges are off.JimBEdit: IFE. Engines flamed out. Ran out of fuel. Emergency landed 15 miles northish of Dalles Muni. Had 98 miles from OLM per the MFD. Darn-it. At least I was able to save to the log book.

Guest effyouthree

Jim, 1500pph?Did you have the gear down? Or were you flying low? That would translate to ~3000pph total, giving a time of only 1.67 hrs - a distance of ~750nm @ 450kts g/s :-eek I just did some checks:At 30kft/95%/280kias/462kts g/s, I got 950pph (per engine) leading to 2.58 hrs flying time, or 1194nm.At 35kft/90%/236kias/425kts g/s, I got 750pph (per engine), leading to 3.275 hrs flying time, or 1391nm.In both cases, I was against a slight westerly. In either case, I would have made LAX OK although, by FAA standards, I'd be pushing it with the first scenario (if the wind got worse, my margin would get very thin, very quickly :-) ). Also, bear in mind these are 'fudge' checks - they don't take into account the extra fuel usage climbing to altitude. In reality, this can account for 25% or more of the trip so don't ignore it ;)In any case, one must plan for emergencies! Because we have no strips in South WA (apart from CVA), this usually means turning back to Portland, as soon as the numbers start to 'count against you'. That said, I'll try a similar flight and see what I get. :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest juvat2

Hi Jon,I was running 350kts, 21000ft. Yep, gears were up, speed brake retracted.Hard to figure out the hours info in this log. This is the new one I started just for flights from the outter terrain to Sea or SF hi-res airports. The cross country and flight times don't seem right to me.I've only flown 2 flights on this log: PDX2OLM-flt time 00:35:12 and the one where I'd run out of fuel- flt time 1:44:48. The cross country time exceeds the day hours logged time. Just can't be right-is it?The attachment here is the pilot info page taht goes with the other attachment.

Jim,Hmmm....for a second there, I thought you were attempting this flight "Chris Low style". In other words, 115 knots at 4000 feet with flaps at 20 degrees :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,Looking at the Flight3 book again I realise I had the fuel flow wrong, they were at 150 pph cruise. I went to my fav sight for calculating anything and if I inputted the values correctly straight from the Flight3 manual on the Beechjet, I ran out of fuel precisely when I should have. So now I ask this, the manual shows the Beechjet range as 1669nm. How can that be?http://www.csgnetwork.com/fuelconsumpgphcalc.htmlHere's a shot of my gauges about 313.1nm from OLM per the MFD.Out side temp was -2F and I had anti-ice on. Shouldn't have have been a factor, but thought I'd add that. Also I must've had a northwesterly headwind because the aircraft was "crabbing" with the nose turned to the left as viewed with the F5 key.