Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

New chat policy.

Guest twsimfan

The interest in a full blown chat on a regular schedule has been going down of late. As of now we will have no more automatic chat every 6 weeks. If interest increases I may reconsider this in the future.You can arrange a chat with your friends any time you like... the rooms are there for your use.If you want to schedule a larger chat I will be happy to pin your announcement. I will try to attend such events if my schedule permits. If you wish to post the transcript in the library you can do so. (Remember to turn on logging in mIRC.) I would like it if you would submit such transcripts to Bob or me for review first before posting them to the library but that is a request not a requirement.

Guest Staggerwing

Good idea.. I think that sounds like a much better way of doing it these days. Should serve the wants of everyone at any time :-)Sorry if this posts twice and I don't catch it to delete... Avsim is acting up again today.

Guest Stearman

>The interest in a full blown chat on a regular schedule has>been going down of late. As of now we will have no more>automatic chat every 6 weeks. If interest increases I may>reconsider this in the future.Well, I think this is logical in the light of experience, but I can't help viewing this as one step (may I say one step more?) towards the eventual dissolution of our small community.Also, I guess this leaves what you suggested to me in the other thread meaningless. I didn't feel prepared to moderate a chat, anyway.Blue skies,

Well....to be fair, I don't believe that Tom had any other option. The past several chats have been less than impressive (to say the least), and it makes far more sense to arrange one when a lot more of us are available to participate.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

>Well....to be fair, I don't believe that Tom had any other>option. The past several chats have been less than impressive>(to say the least), and it makes far more sense to arrange one>when a lot more of us are available to participate.That's why I said it to be "logical" in the first place :-)Somehow I knew you'd be the first person replying my post. I know you don't think our community is in risk at all, but that's only because you are one of those who are fighting hard to keep it alive. I realize that and will never thank you enough for it.Blue skies,

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,My "policy" works with your idea... just post a message saying that you want a chat on whatever day and if some people will join you... well you have a chat. And like I said before if you want your "announcement" pinned just say so and Bob or I will be happy to pin it for you. If we can attend we will.My problem is that 5 of every 6 Saturdays I have to work. I have put every free Saturday into chats for... what is it now... 2 or 3 years? I'm not complaining... I have enjoyed it... but not worth it when nobody shows up.But by all means you guys should coordinate a day that works for you... you don't need me. And like I said before... if I can attend I will.

Guest twsimfan

Guys I don't like the size of the community shrinking either but we have to realize that we are devoted to an aging (if still great) sim. I've never really considered this forum as much about the sims as it is about a group that doesn't always feel the need to follow the pack. Hopefully that will endure for a long time to come.Daniel,You don't need any fancy moderating skills... just chat! Bob & I have never had to boot anyone for the chats... truth is for the last several chats our "powers" have been ify at best anyway. I think you would make a fine "host". I encourage you to reconsider... go ahead and do one when you feel the desire. And as I've said before... if I can make it I will.

Guest Quaxo

Hehe, I could chat almost everyday after dinner (CET), and in the weekends even in the afternoon... So, just choose a day and there's a 90% chance that I'll be able to attend! :) Actually, I'm looking forward to a chat - it's been too long since my last one! :)Cristian

Yes, FU III is an old sim. And yes, I was unable to join the chat since I was away. We're not a big group and it's likely that our community will shrink as time goes by. The obvious reason is that we're cherishing an unsupported, dead-end sim. Still, it isn't quite dead and the last couple of years have seen more development than Looking Glass ever intended. Actually, we may be approaching the point of a "page in history" or "cult" sim and it's still being developed. So, all in all FU III isn't quite dead and my guess is that it won't be buried anytime soon. But then, there are chats :-)I tend tend to miss chats because I'm working every second weekend. This one clashed with my Easter holidays.Other folks miss chats because they... well, don't chat for various reasons (time constraints, time zones, language barrier etc). Bottom line, the number of people attending an organized chat is much less than the number of people enjoying the sim.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

Folks,Aitch-Pea says:"Bottom line, the number of people attending an organized chat is much less than the number of people enjoying the sim."I agree. It can appear that from time to time, our little community loses some momentum but that's fine - I don't believe that even 1/2 of all FU3 users probably even know about Avsim - took me years to find it ;)As a prime example, I have never attended one chat. Not because I don't want to but mostly due to not previously having the internet at home (yep, us developers are a slow lot...) and the time difference which makes it hard to keep awake till 2AM.This has not dented my enthusiasm for FU3 and has certainly not interrupted my efforts in improving it and giving everyone a (hopefully) better sim. In fact, I should have some more goodies posted this week (I'm off to Mexico (Melbourne) again - back Thursday night) ;)I was away last week and only really got to login today. Just seeing all the new posts from folks gave me a buzz. I'm happy to be part of this community, whether I can make it to chats or not. A bigger buzz will be (hopefully, fingers crossed and all planets in alignment) actually meeting some of you later in the year in Denver :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"