Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

To agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

A models conversion program! Agtim, this is superb! (But your post doesn't allow replies (at least on my computer) so I couldn't reply directly!!).I think your little programs are amazing, and this new program for converting Flight Simulator to Flight Unlimited models is another great breakthrough! You have had some amazing successes recently - the UK scenery, the IOW packages, the terrain editors, the category editor, package viewers, model viewers, static plane models, Switzerland, (and I've probably missed a lot here) - don't you ever slow down? You and Jon seem to be driving the show single-handed at present.RobD.:-jumpy

Hi Robert,Strange, no idea how to lock replies !?!This is just a first raw utility. Actually I am near unemployed and so have a lot of time for FU3 - but this is changing in the next weeks - good for me, bad for FU3 :-)The new MSFS scenery models has about the same quality than our FU3 - some of it , not all :-)They use 512x512 24 color bitmaps of real pictures of the airports. I was searching for it for the Switzerland airport modeling.Building a c++ program from time to time is good to be trained when new project work will arrive.Hope we get UKS restarted :-) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Flight simulator can use higher colour resolutions than FU3 - it was developed later, and I have found the lack of colour depth to be the single biggest frustration with trying to make objects photo-realistic. This was a major reason for writing Fixmip - so that by colour blending it was possible to get very close to the actual colours used, and this works OK but can give a speckledy effect up close.I rewrote Fixmip recently to allow 512x512 textures, but initial trials suggest that FU3 doesn't support textures of this size. Two test squares look black up close, then appear correctly once the next level of MIP (256x256) kicks in. Jon also said that there were problems. So we must use 256x256 (max) and 256 indexed colours. In practise this doesn't mean lower resolution, but simply a greater number of polygons are required. Considering that FU3 started with mainly 16x16 or less graphics (look at the roofs of the FBO's and the initial trees!) we have come a long way.I think this is getting off thread - which is your brilliant new program! I will try to start a new post on graphics.Congrats again, and may your beta be an alpha soon!RobD.

Guest effyouthree

Folks,"Considering that FU3 started with mainly 16x16 or less graphics (look at the roofs of the FBO's and the initial trees!) we have come a long way."Wait until you see the new FBO1,4 and 6! I started by just upgrading the mipfile (was 32x32...) to 256x256. Then I realised that these FBOs were thrown together in about 1 minute and needed better mapping. So, without altering the binfile dimensions (kills FLED and FU3), I remapped them all. This is easy to if anyone wants to try ;)Voila! They now have night lighting and night-lit fuel pumps :-jumpy Best part is, like the ntree upgrade, this will upgrade ALL existing FBO 1/4/6s.I'll post the previews tomorrow, along with the ntree upgrade and some other new forest-y models.Andre,Thanks for this contribution! I'll have a play with it soon!:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,It sounds like I will soon have enough material to write yet another article for PC Pilot magazine :-) To be honest, writing articles for magazines is probably something that I would prefer to do on a regular basis. You know.....give up my existing job. I would like to be able to work from home, and in my own time. Now THAT would be great ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Excellent! My thoughts are that we need to organise ourselves a bit more by working out exactly what's available for what. Even I forget about things sometimes (surprise...) and have even created duplicate models when I forgot I'd already done them :-lolI know we have no central office or management team so, as usual, we must undertake this ourselves. These days, when someone pops up and asks for guidance on downloads, I don't know what to say! I feel stupid only recommending my own stuff but it's hard to remember everything that everyone else has contributed.And yes, I too would love to work from home, even a couple of days per week. Unfortunately, unless the 'job' was FU3-related, I'd probably just spend too much time in FU3 land ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Hi Glidernut,Thanks for positive reply :-)In this version you can get working files or part of it, having the structure of points, loadbitmap and texpoly ( see example ) all other keywords are ignored. Each labeled part must appear in a TRANSFORM statement in the top. edit an 0 0 0 transform for parts without.I have to fix this in a next version and also handle VECTORPOINTS and SHADEDPOLY.search in a bgl texpoly having in the line before a loadbitmap command and look at the bitmap to see what it is. so you can select an object. :-wave agtim