Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Outter terrain geo tiles editing Geo Tiles Viewer 2.5-A...

Guest juvat2

Hi,Renaming the Outer Terrain outtaga.tag, outtagb.tag, outtagc.tag(located in x:Program FilesFlight3OUTTERR) to geotiles.tag; and using Agtims Geo Tiles Viwer 2.5, I seem to be able to view and extract the classification and terrain elevation. Problem is I cannot find a flight3 outer terrain nav map that has a tile naming grid applied to it so as I can go directly to a location. I see Agtim has one for the hi-res. Anyone know if one exists. How would one go about creating his own? Right now all I'm able to do is randomly extract tiles and it's impossible to tell what part of the terrain they are for.Attached are a sample of land class and terrain elevation from outtagC bjaa. Also a outer terrain map that I rotated in prep for a grid. Also Agtims hi-res gridded mapThe reason I'm looking into the possibilty of increasing terrain detail in the outer terrain is I'm finding it near impossible to get close representation of Clear Lake. When I generate tiles for the lake the water form isn't very close. The low res land forms seems to make it impossible to get the lake shaped right. Also the lake ends up with "hillocks" and when I try a water taxi I intermittently hit "land" in the middle of it or am taxing up/down hill in the lake. Very unrealistic. I'm hoping to locate this area with geo tiles viewer, and see about improving the elevation detail there. You guys think this is feasible? And if it works I'd think the grand canyon would be a good followup projectsnima.mil doesn't seem to provide the recommended tool NIMAMUSE Raster Importer 2.1.3. Anyone already have it and can provide it?You all take care,JimB

Hi JimB,This are good news :-). Did't know the possibility to handle outer region elevation with my tool, never tried it.Version 2.5 is rather old and now I should upload the new version 3 for this use. You can then export tiles to MD3 format for Gmax and reimport back after 3_D modification applied. I used this for the mountain lakes in the Switzerland scenery.forget NIMAMUSE, now we have SRTM-1 for US region = 30m real meshes !no fractal approx., my last version can import the BSQ format --> see my earlier tread.you need this tool alsohttp://www.ptsim.com/en/support.htmBSQ Program DEM2BSQ.ZIPHow to find the outer megatile ?use FLED move to the location you want and click in the bottom left status bar lat/long field until you get the tile name.You must find out how the outer grid is organized. It must be similar to the high res one.good luck :-)Andre

Guest juvat2

Need assist in desciphering Fled Info-Tile NameAs you can see from the screen shot, fled reports the tile for Clear lake as OuttagC: tile extents per geo tile viewer: aaan to ajbzClear LakeMega aja'Small 036a^Lat/Long 46 37.864N 121 16.946WWorld 150569 -11814Mag Heading 343.00Heading 360.00Using geo tiles viewer, should I go to tile ajaa to get the class and elevation? When I do I get only solid green for class and all maroon for elevation.JimB

Jim,I never have tried this before and don't know how the outer region are built. aja' ? have seen such name in fled but have no outer region installed actually. did you look in the white book ?may be later...

Guest juvat2

Outer Terrain Classification Map Build ProgressJust wanted to show this to you all. This is classifications extracted from outtagc.tag using Agtims Geo Tile Viewer 2.5.From "DirtyMacs" Gtl Editor readme.txt he revealed that awab is San Diego. Excellent! Going from that location I've been tiling the classifications into a map for ease of navigating should I or anyone wish to upgrade the outer terrain land class or elevations. This will not improve the actual texturing as that is a matter altogether different. Those are the .gtl files. I suspect where terrain detail is improved this will make the textures more appealing to the eye. It seems as though LG has divided the outter terain in 3rd's (files outtaga, outtagb.tag, outtagc.tag). But we'll not know for certain until latter.As extracted, the classes are 257x257 8/256 .tag. Using PSP I batch convert the extracted .tag classes to .bmp. At first I was using jpg, then saw a loss in detail of the tiles so revamped and switched to .bmp. This will make the files much bigger but I'm hoping the detail will make it worth the bother. I then created an Excel work sheet with grids 26x26. Formated with yellow flood fill, font 36-red and centered. Column widths of 48.29 and row heights of 257 then "insert picture from file". Another sheet is just a grid for the co-ordinats themselves. My intentions with this sheet is to provided a hyper link to their class tile. The bottom right of the grid is azaa, top right azam, bottom left aaaa, top left aaam. Much of the left sided tile are solid greens. Which I THINK means water class. This is all new stuff to me. Curiously there are numerous aaaa tiles(110 altogether) and are all solid green. Perhaps a potential "new build area" for the outer terrain?Interestingly there are also tiles within outtagc.tag baaa to boam. These will be mapped later as I'm interested for now to map a "known" area thanks to DirtyMacs San Diego revelations. Would anyone like to look into mapping these?Any suggestions from you all is appreciated. I haven't extracted the elevations as I've been going along. I may after I'm finished with this class mapping, but not to keen on doing it. Reason is after I upload this completed classification map, then anyone can use it to nav to an area they would like to improve the terrain and extract the elevation from their own .tag file. But yes, I'm getting ahead of myself because no one has tried to improve the outer terrain elevations yet, so maybe all this will be for nothing. Many questions in my head in regards to elevation and class improvements: Can it be done? Will Agtims tools work on these? Using Agtims same procedures for hi-res slightly modified for outer terrain use? Can we even improve/edit the land class and elevations on these tiles?Oh, one more thing. Sadly it seems Fled is incapable of properly reporting outer terrain class names. It's fine for hi-res but when I go into the outer terrain area and click in the bottom left of the view window, it doesn't show the tile name. Or maybe my fled is just defective? It does seem to show properly the lon/lat, and world co-ordinates though.You all take care,JimB

Guest juvat2

Hi Agtim,I downloaded the dem2bsq tool but it's only for dted2 files. 7.5min 30arc sec dems is all I've been able to find for free for my first elevation import experiment. I picked Santa Barbara Island California for that exercise because was in a node all to itself and away from any other terrain. I'm not able to properly convert a dem of that island to an elevation tga. I tried the best I could with what dem and graphics tools I have and it ended in failure. Here I post 4 shots. The first 2 are of the island before the import. The last 2 are after I imported elevation. Those california surfers gotta love it 'cause those are some big waves now.Things I got to figure out: How to convert a dem to proper elevation tga format with pallet etc that Flight3 understands for the outer terrain.How to convert the new elevation tga to a classification tga. Or maybe edit the original class tga, all while using the proper pallet and colors. Any thoughts on how I can move forward with this appreciated.Take care,JimB

Hi Jim,Ok now you have the tool and with it you can convert DEM but that is not the important thing. You have to download the 1 arc data from the us area or the 3 arc one. I have use it for the new Switzerland elevation. See topic # 11267.The server for the data are at this URLftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/Eurasia and from there go to US dataTo convert elevation from DEM, maps or BSQ to tga format you need my GeoTilesViewer 3.0. I will upload it to my Geotilesviewer page so take it from there. It is still unfinished and there is no tutorial for the last BSQ import, but you have to select by crop and merge using DEM2BSQ a area of 6X5 megatiles or about more than 1 megatile and select the export functions without opening the geotiles.tag file.This will create a large tga map. cut from this map the needed 257x257 square. More details later in the zip :-)There is a Gmax interface also there so you can modify partial megatiles in 3-D. :-wave agtim

Agtim, that looks fabulous :-) If you add a little green to the granite (rock textures) I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell which one is real. Well, we need some small "bonsai" pine trees but the Aussies will supply those :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

The terrain is perfect. The colours are different (and of course will depend on time of day, season, clouds, atmosphere pollution etc etc). But I wonder if the satellite images, filtered through our whole atmosphere, are always less intense (atmosphere absorption) and if anyone knows about the colour corrections necessary to restore to a "default 12 noon sunny day" situation. It seems to me that that is what Hans Petter and glidernut were doing with their colour corrections for Seattle, and probably what LGS did in the first place. (The colour corrections would be a little bit altitude dependent - since high altitudes have less atmosphere above them to filter the light.) So looking at the colours in your two photos, there is less variation in colour than reality, and less intense colours. This could be easily fixed.Its amazing what you have achieved here in expanding the limits of Flight Unlimited. Congrats again agtim!RobD.

Hi Hans and Robert,The real picture was taken about at 11 in the late spring. Swiss texture was made from planes as UK also and I expect it was done in August or September. From September there is no more green colors here at about 2000m about sealevel. I just remember I have a second picture from October - I will check this. :-wave agtim

Guest effyouthree

Andre,Thimply thstunning! I wanna new Switzerland...This is lovely. All we need is some 45 degree-angled forests and we're away :-lolSeriously, this month FU3 has just been brought ahead again. Thanks to Andre, my interest in finally getting the last few bugs out of the Seattle terrain has been renewed.I like it when things work out :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest juvat2

Well Darn,I can't get the new Geo Viewer program to open the outer terrain files like I had done in the past(renaming the outtag(a)(:(©.tag to geoltiles.tag). I get the hour glass where it's busy opening the files. I've left my pc in that state for almost an hour thinking my pc was slow, taking a long time to open the files. Still can't open them. I've tried cold booting, use PRC View to close any unneccessary background programs, didn't help. Guess this puts my experiments with improving outer terrain on hold.JimB

Hi JimB,No problem at all :-)I will check details later, but you can1. generate the BSQ-Maps using version 3.12. importing the map using Version 2.?this will work :-wave agtim