Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

DH82 Tiger Moth

Guest Stearman

Hi all, I'd like to say I feel immensely privileged by our friend Quentin van de Geer, who has been kind enough to send me a copy of his still-in-progress DH82 Tiger Moth for FU3.I know he's hesitant to post screenshots since he considers it to be in a very early unfinished state, but I simply couldn't resist showing you all some views of this beauty. I'm fairly confident that he won't mind:-)In addition, I sincerely hope this will encourage our panel guru, Steve Hess, to go on and eventually finish the promising panel he let us preview some time ago (Steve, are you reading?):-wavehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/72494.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/72495.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/72496.jpgThanks Quentin for your wonderful work, and also Ansgar and Jo for the invaluable help I know you're providing with this project. This is a dream come true for me.Best regards & happy landings!

Guest R_Driscoll

Sensational - I love the metallic look on the fuselage esp where the cockpit covers are fastened down. Great work! Does it fly better than Jon's butcher bird? (or at least better than his Stanley plane). The butcher bird is my plane of choice for flying around airports.

Guest qvdg

Thanks for your interest guys - I couldn't have got it this far without the help of the experts Ansgar and Jon. Rob I don't know if it flys like a butcher bird (is that something like a plover)more like a 90hp Piper Cub. Sound very much like one to.You will notice that the pilot's face is rather pale - in fact he is white as a ghost. This is because he is test flying an aircraft which has a flight envelope currently non qualified by the Jon Point Institue of Aeronautique Engineering. The Airframe was however checked over some time ago before some minor modifs by the Ansgar Vintage Aircraft Restoration Association. As Daniel mentioned the cockpit is really a very difficult piece to find today on the market. Sometime ago a likely candidate was reportedly located soemwhere in the US but we have somehow lost track of it for the moment.Thanks again for the encouragement.Cheers, QvdG

Guest glidernut

QvdG,You need every bit of help and encouragement you can get when takeing on a complicated and compleet project like a TigerMoth. What with its 2 wings its not the easyest model to lern on.Even thowe I hav been of no help, I hav been rooting for you, and folowing your every step along the way, and I hav been paying particuler atention to the ansers given to your questions in order thatI might lern a bit mor about how things are dun. But Im still a long way bihined you.Sergestion:Iv reesantly founed a TigerMoth model in .x format on the net.Its a pity I didant fined it erlyer, it might hav saved you a lot of work. It was dun by a Japanese man and its free.I converted it to 3ds but its too big to go throow the BSP.It has no cockpit, so thats no help. but it dus hav 3 flotes insted of wheels. The flowets on there owne "a set of 3" do go throow the BSP to bin, see snaps.So perhaps, if you want, you can hav a TigerMoth on flowtes? But flowtes meens that a cockpit will have to be created useing one of the difaltflowet plains, ie, the Muskrat or the Renegade.Personaly I prefer wheels but if you want one with flowets, hear thay are.glidernut.

Guest glidernut

How ever dus a cockpit for the TigerMoth, thay will need good all aound vews to work with.Do you or anyone hav any? Can anyone fined sum on the net?Thay need to be 800x600 16-bit .bmp and not blered.Last night I spent a little time on the net serching for posibl TigerMoth cockpit vews butI only fouwned one that was good inuf, "the looking backwords vew".To day I spent a little time cuting away its background and seeing what it looks like in FU3.See snap, its not much but its a start.The blak forwerd looging vew is from an FS2002 addon, so if we want to use it, we will need permition.Has anyone sort permition? But hopefuly, if we all spend a little time serching the net, sumone hear can fined a beter one?We dont need left and right vews, just one or the other as thay can be fliped.glidernut.

Guest glidernut

Just incase sumone wants to use the backwords vew, its hear.woops, sory, the zip is too big.glidernut.

Guest Stearman

Hi glidernut, I want the backwards view, so please e-mail it to me at dbiosca@terra.esRe the forward view, interestingly enough it turns out to be the same one Steve was apparently using before vanishing into thin air, as you can see here:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/73164.jpgThanks in advance, best regards.

Guest glidernut

Stearman,Its on its way.glidernut

Guest qvdg

Thanks for the info glidernut. The real problem today is the indeed the cockpit as without Steve we will have to to start from scratch. As I was sort of counting on him I have not spent much time looking for views as I have my handful at the moment with putting together realistic textures (since Daniels screenshots we nowhave better wheels and a texture for a detailed part of the engine cowling. I will totally redo the fuselage though but only after doing the other parts). I will also have to build the prop as you can see it is currently from a Piper cub. To sum it up still a way to go before the cockpit. W.r.t your rear view note that it is a view from the passenger cockpit showing the pilot. I also looked in my refernce material (I have an excellent book on the DH82) the only float config I have seen, which apparently was not particularly successful was with two floats. When we get a wheeled version going I may consider a float version, if I can find the required polygons and if thier is sufficent interest.Cheers, QvdG