Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

UKS Posting

Guest R_Driscoll

There have been plenty of queries about the UKS scenery, but many people have experienced problems getting a working version. I think this is partly because the design team put in lots of changes very quickly without checking each change. Doesn't matter, by some chance, my own version of UKS works perfectly, but so far I can't seem to transfer a working version to other people. I have just tried again, and sent a current working version to Jon and I am hoping that he can help, giving him a complete installation on a hard disk that he loaned to me. He is then able to burn a copy for others. In case this doesn't work, I have made a copy of the important bits of the installation and would be happy (under advisement) to post this in the AVSIM library. It is approx 110 Mb, so I would upload it in four zip files.This version would have:1) Dave's revoiced ATIS2) Dave's updated airports3) Dave's AI fixes4) My upgraded models databases5) All current known packages for UKS, latest versions6) simplified AI and new waypoints, legs7) none of the scenery dataTo install, you would need room to make a copy of your FU3 installation, delete some directories (I will give instructions) then unzip from your main flight3 directory.My version works with a standard outer terrain installation of Seattle/San Fran, where the Seattle/SanFran packages are first deleted, then replaced by the UKS packages. I don't know if it will work without outer terrain installed. Also it uses the last UKS distribution disk for the region.cfg file and for data files.Now if all this sounds complicated, it is - basically you would be building FU4 and it is a complex procedure. And this doesn't include the ground scenery. You would need to get the scenery itself elsewhere (too big for uploading). The downloads would be large (max 30 Mb), and there is a good chance that Jon can solve all the issues first, allowing distribution by CD. But if there is enough interest, I would be happy to do this. Also if there are other issues such as max file size, let me know.This is a bit of a desperation measure. For 5 months I have waited for someone to fix the problems with UKS, and have uploaded my own installation to ftp sites, forums and workgroups, but no-one has been able to get a proper installation. If the problem is the rapid changes, then this new attempt should solve that problem as it includes all of the changes that I know. It would be great to have this working as I am keen and ready to release Luton - this is the most detailed airport I have done and I would love to get this out.RobD.

Guest qvdg

Rob as I currently fly exclusively in UKS I have been following from the sidelines with interest the developments. I hope that with some help from Jon and perhaps others a new CD distribution with your great airports and perhaps with some new elevation data can be released soon.Keep up the great workCheers, QvdG

Guest effyouthree

Rob/Quentin,Haven't done much yet but I've tried it and it works fine - much better than the old version (wet...) I had. I want to try removing OT too as mine didn't have it and still worked OK.I just had to get some other things off my plate first :-roll And yes, Quentin, one of those 'things' is the DH82 ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

That's great news! Is it possible to burn a copy for Cristian?

Guest effyouthree

Yes, but exactly WHAT do I burn? Or should I WinAce the whole shebang across a heap of CDs?Let me know today if you can - I'll burn it over the weekend ;)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

My understanding is that Cristian can't get a working version at all, so I would burn the whole shebang (as you put it). That way he should end up with a working version even if something like outer terrain is the problem. But I think you know more about this now than I ever did!Your new Half Moon Bay is sounding exciting! - I think you will be uploading for a while to come! I can't download the new stuff at present, I am waiting on a new computer.I'm in favour of a balance of moving objects - so that the framerate goes where its supposed to. Enough to create the right impression, not too many so that you're swamped. But to each his own ...RobD.

Robert,With respect to framerates, what is the specification of your new PC ? Framerate issues are now a thing of the past in FU3 with my new Athlon64/Radeon 9800 Pro combo :-jumpyChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest qvdg

Excellent Jon thanks. By the way I look forward to skimming the tops of your new forests they look great :-)Cheers, QvdG

Just a quick post to keep my membership current.My congratulations to the "FU4" team for getting the UKS going - I really enjoy flying over the UK. I have managed to get a reasonably stable setup (no more than one CTD every 5 - 10 flights). However, this is with the A/C traffic slider set to min - if I put it to max I get almost 100% CTD's.So please keep us posted. I don't have broad band myself (yet! we have reached the trigger level though), but I do have a good download manager and some friends who have broadband, so big downloads are not a great problem.Ches

Guest Quaxo

Hello Jon,Well this is great news - that Rob's version works for you too. That's just what I (and many others I'm sure) wanted to hear... As I told to Robert, I've tried a lot to fix my version and make it stable - I spent countless weekends rebooting after each crash : I was almost thinking that a stable version was impossible - now that yours works too, that opens a lot of possibilities again! :)As for burning, you could burn the whole FU3 install, except of course the Maps folder (as all the terrain files are in the old CDs, along with some new tiles I have). You could also avoid putting in the big OT files... and of course you can skip all the airplanes. This should allow you to put everything in a single CD.If I can get a working version again, with AI and airports, without having a CTD at every single attempt, I will very quickly pack up a new update disc, including the new tiles... You have no idea how happy I would be to finally do that! :) Even because my UK install is completely unusable now, and I miss flying there!Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

Chris, I was (unfortunately) talking about my new work computer - which I use (oops confession time) for downloading and talking to you guys. My home computer is my P500Mhz with nvidia 2 (which I found buried under centuries of dirt next to the remains of an ark on Mt Ararat). My work computer won't be getting a video card! ;( Anyway, in free flight (no packages, flat scenery, fine day, no AI) I get about 15 fps. Heavy scenery, heavy weather and AI kicking along at 120% gives me about 4-8 fps, depending on which direction I am looking. And (bother bother) I happen to prefer heavy weather/heavy scenery plus all the candy. Durn.If anyone is prepared to give me a brand new state of the art computer (hint hint), then I will (reluctantly) hand over my old and treasured to the local museum (look for it between the Hittites and Sumerians in the lower galleries). Just don't all send me one at once.RobD.