Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

New PC removes "screen freeze" problem

When I had all of my scenery packages installed in FU3 using my old PC, I encountered a problem just after take-off or landing at Alameda NAS or Crissy Army Airfield in the SanFran region, and also at McChord AFB in the Seattle region. The screen graphics would "freeze" for up to TEN seconds, due to the large amount of objects present. This was rather annoying, and it forced me to remove some scenery packages from both regions (Golden Gate Park and several other packages in the SanFran region, and several airfield packages in the Seattle region that were close to McChord AFB).However, I have just discovered that this "freeze" has been reduced to barely ONE second on my new PC. This has allowed me to install ALL of the scenery packages in the San Francisco area (including the three large ones....Golden Gate Park, Angel Island, and Presidio) and also those packages that I had removed from the Seattle region.This was quite a surprise, since I wasn't convinced that a more powerful PC would make much of a difference.Does anyone know the reason for this ? Is it due to superior bandwidth (memory, hard disk etc) ? I have 1Gb of DDR400 PC3200 RAM, and a 120Gb Serial ATA-150 hard disk, so they are fairly nippy ! :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's definitly not the size of your hard disk. It might be processor or memory and my guess is that it's mostly the processor. It seems that the performance of sims mostly depends on processor and video card memory.At any rate, congratulations :-) I'm too financially challenged at the moment to acquire state of the art performance.Hans Petter

If you could reduce your memory to 128 MB you could know what is the reason of freezing probably.B.Adamski

Maybe everyone who uses my add-on packs could check the situation on their own PC's ? After all, there must be a wide range of PC specifications being used by members of this forum. The best way to check would be to install EVERYTHING in my SanFran 2004 pack, and then attempt a take-off from either Alameda NAS or Crissy Army Airfield. Then note the length of the "screen freeze".Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,"The best way to check would be to install EVERYTHING in my SanFran 2004 pack, and then attempt a take-off from either Alameda NAS or Crissy Army Airfield. Then note the length of the "screen freeze". "Infinite...I've lost a mipfile somewhere :-( :-(Seriously, these 'other' FBOs were driving me crazy. Every time I remapped them, they appeared in FU3 at about 30ft off the ground :-( Like the ntrees, user-placed ones were fine, just the original LGS ones 'flew' :-grr So, latest is, I've created new mipfiles that work with the existing models. Not as pretty as I would have liked but much better ;) So much for the porch lights on FBO020...I'll do a 'freeze check' and post some screenshots tomorrow!:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,That comment about "flying" FBO's is interesting. When I checked Crissy Army Airfield a few days ago, the FBO was floating above the ground, and this is a user placed object ! I had to delete it, and add another FBO model to solve the problem.I have no idea why this happened.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png