Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pieter

Do you know Nihon aircraft?

Guest Pieter

Past being a WWII baby/todler, I always took a fancy in WWII aircraft. I will not shine the search light on my favourite as it is not possible to pick one from so many. To be honest, one reason I bought FU3 was also for the P51. However, back to the Nihon Aircraft Manufacturing Company (NAMC). The YS11 was the only Japanese airliner to enter production since the 1940s, read some about it in brief at:http://www.aerosite.net/ys11.htmAlthough FU has the P51, I think the engine model (as most FU aircraft) lacks the realism of those fighters (and I shudder to think what things were done in many other simulators). I was always on the prowl for some simulation that really gives one the feel of those engines. Unfortunately, I have to force you now to unpack those FS2004 CD's again (come on, I know you have FS stashed away somewhere on either HD or shelf ;-))... I recommend the FS9 NAMC YS-11 (here at AVSIM as afg_ys-11_base_pack_a.zipSome facts - The engines are two Rolls Royce Dart turboprops, each rated 3,000 horsepower. There is no way, I repeat, no way, you climb behind those horses, jam the throttles forward... and hope you will take off! Do yourself the favourite and get the YS11, you will not regret it, just remember that these aircraft are not for kids.... ;-) Only this type of freeware work made me reconsider FS9! And this from a dedicated FU3 fan. :-eekPieterA picture of the cockpit:

Trust me, Pieter. FS2004 is NOT on my shelf ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I just tried it. It did autostart as I launched a flight even though the manual said it wouldn't. Taking off was fairly easy. It's heavy and sluggish and seemed slightly underpowered. My first serious mistake was to throttle back too fast as I came in for my first landing. The left engine autofeathered and I didn't know what that red light was all about. Still, I landed it. Then I tried another go and revved up for a second take-off. That didn't work too well with one engine feathered. Proper control of turboprops is quite challenging. It's way more complicated than piston engines, whether fixed prop or variable pitch.I guess it's a matter of interest and taste whether one wants to turn all the right knobs, pull the right levers etc to get it right. It takes two pilots to fly a real turpoprop airliner and the co-pilot will take care of most of the tedious work. In flight simulators it takes several pop-up windows to provide all of the control panels. Sometimes you want the overhead, sometimes the throttle console etc. One single flightsim pilot will get very busy controlling the whole flightdeck. Unrealistically so since it's really a two person job. But then, it's interesting to learn how this is done. On other days I just want to pop into a GA piston aircraft or a glider and "ride the wind" :-)Hans Petter

Guest Pieter

Now Chris you stay out of this :-lolIt's just me; I really have more simulators than that is good for me... always on the prowl for just that edge extra. Yes, I have them all on my shelf, although not flying them all anymore :-) Some are totally dilapidated, so to speak. FU3 is showing it's age regardless what we want it to be, it will never advance. Remember, I'm not that dedicated a fan of FS! Many things even in FS (latest release fully included), I just hate it when I try a new model in any simulator (FU3, FS9, X-Plane) and it stays or were developed around the Beech, Mooney, Lear (in FS) - whatever - nothing new but the panel and the outside looks, it then still isn't a new modelled concept...Speaking of the FS Lear (in comparison with the FU3 Beech Jet) the FS Lear model is so meager it nearly makes me cry, and nobody I asked in any forum has an idea how feeble it really is!So that is why I started this topic about the Nihon model, greatly done aircraft with things added that FU3 (neither thelatest X-Plane!)can and never will be. So IMHO whether you hate or love MSFS, one misses out quite a bit of the total "modern simulator" experience by not researching some of the models of other sims than FU3.RegardsPieter

Guest Pieter

>It did autostart as I launched a flight even>though the manual said it wouldn't. Taking off was fairly easy.{snip}>The left engine autofeathered and I didn't know what that red lightHe-he, now that's what you get when you let your flight attendant do your pilot's job! :-lol>It's heavy and sluggish and seemed slightly underpowered.It didn't mean that the autostart will not work (as you experienced), it just means that the engines then don't function correctly! The underpowered feeling was probably because that after the autostart the fuel datum settings of the engines were not correctly activated (only the manual start can achieve that!) One needs to set the fuel trimmers according to the supplied checklist of the fuel datum for altitude and ambient temperature. And then for a full powered STO one needs to use the wet methanol injection...That's what I meant in my reply to Chris. Currently only FS makes this kind of engine simulation (and fairly accurate!) possible.>One single flightsim pilot will get very busy controlling the >whole flightdeck. Unrealistically...I fully agree, but what I enjoy about the NY11 is that it can be done by one! The cockpit mouse shortcuts and controls function as the co-pilot... The pilot in real life always still has to call all the checks and must confirm that they were set...>other days I just want to pop into a GA piston aircraft or a>glider and "ride the wind" :-)That I also do most of the time! I just thought that aircraft lovers, I presumed the FU forum readers to be, would also like to examine the NAMC YS11 (even if it is in MSFS), as most things nice are usually hidden if not highlighted by others once in a while!Pieter

Guest Pieter

Lat but not least, for those interested in these ol' girls of the sky, take a look at the simulation manual of the finer settings of engines of the YS-11.http://www.jyu.fi/~ekkaihla/manualRegardsPieter

Guest juvat2

Holy-Moly! 24mb's?! It indeed must be a detailed model. You know if it will function with FS2002?Thanks, JimB

Guest Pieter

>Holy-Moly! 24mb's?! It indeed must be a detailed model.Yes I know, I can only repeat: ouch! Be glad I did not recommend the F-14 Tomcat, which will tally close to 40 megs ;-) But I will not ellaborate on FS models furthermore in this forum...>You know if it will function with FS2002?Unfortunately not: "This addon requires Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004." quoted from the installation instructions.Pieter

Guest juvat2

Thank you Pieter,Usually I get lucky when looking for insight on a prospective download here. I'll click on the Zipdive! button and see if the zip files readme is openable; which wasn't possible for this zip file.Still saving my pennies to purchase FS'04, and to upgrade my pc. In meanwhile enjoying FS'02 when I can.Thank you again for the info,JimB