Sign in to follow this  
Guest effyouthree

Things to come - soon...

Guest effyouthree

Dear All,I've had a couple of emails about what I'm up to so I thought I'd answer them all here!New FBOs - These are done, I'm just testing the install a couple of times first. My first effort caused a CTD because my night and day models somehow had different polygon counts :-(Half Moon Bay - About 70% done. The marina needs more work yet. This will definitely be a package requiring use of FLED before installation! LGS weren't too careful about placing boats there - most are off-line with the marina and there's a plethora of tiny sailboats in the harbour. They're so small, you only see them when you hit them!ASW28 - I've slowed down on this due to some frigglies with the 3D model. I stuffed around a lot with the L-13 to get the spoilers and flaps to work OK. Then, when doing the crash models, I had to revisit them 'coz I was getting CTDs. Well, I've got the same problem with the ASW :-( It's just a matter of moving things around a bit to fit some invisible envelope 'built-in' to the resfile somewhere. At the moment, the only way to avoid CTDs is to make the wings snap off outside the spoilers - this looks stupid :-rollDH82 - I promised Quentin that I'd help with the flight model. After speaking with someone who actually used to fly one and we're in for an interesting time! I've tried it out and will be putting about 50% of my time towards that when the FBOs and HAF are done. So far, I think it flies too nicely and needs less power and a higher C of G but I'll get back to you on that when I've done some more testing!T6 - Thanks, Flybert! I've got lotsa lovely shots of Clay Lacy's SNJ5 which should help out with some small detail as well as providing good detail of the textures. I intend to enlist JCM to assist with the flight model to try to get back closer to FU1 using judicious wash effects - this'll be interesting ;)F4U - On hold - after the T6, OK?The rest? It can wait...Somewhere in all of this, I've booked out a Warrior for a couple of hours next weekend and will finally get some 'real' flying in (for the first time this year). This is what I love about simming - no planning required, no childcare arrangements to make, no aircraft hire company to argue with, no landing fees and no flight plan submission. Any time of day or night - just fly!Love it :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest qvdg

Great news Jon- where do you find the time (and energy) ?With respect to the DH82 the current flight model is the 90hp cub unchanged (so far to docile for th DH82). The DH82 has in fact a large prop so the effects mentioned in another post will certainly come into play. Also the ailerons are relatively large apparently giving it a relatively snappy roll characteristic. Like all tail draggers the ground handling will be important (perhaps a bit less than a GeeBee though !) I remember my first lesson on a taildragger ( I learnt on one because it was cheaper !) where the instructor said "Tell me - are you any good at dancing ?"). If you have access to a real DH82 pilot I am sure there are plenty of other interesting characteristics.Have fun in the Warrior. I will be taking an up Archer upon on Sunday to get some circuit time. For my annual long distance outing we are planning to fly to the Texel in Holland in June. Cheers & thanks, QvdG

Guest glidernut

O yes, this is great news Jon,I dont mined if the wings snap off outside the spoilers, Im not fusy.So dont pul your hir out with frustration on my acount. glidernit:-wave

Guest Robert_S

Jon,Ah, then the CD did get there safe, excellent!And you're quite welcome, of course.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest effyouthree

Bob,Yes, it just got here! Basically, I got home real late and it was in the box. Of course, I sat up until 1AM going through them ;) They're great! I might add that couldn't have asked for a more complete set of images - right down to the floor texture in the cockpit. Think I might just peel the backing off and stick the images straight on it!Thanks again, Bob and please accept my apologies for not replying directly first. Between picking up my new car and 2 urgent reports, I barely touched the keyboard.I'll post some previews in a couple of weeks :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest Robert_S

Jon,No problem, you noted here in the forum that it had arrived, and being co-moderator, I *do* read here (believe it or not). ;-) It is I who should apologize, for taking so long to get it to you.I am very pleased that you say what you do about the images, because I thought you would be quite disappointed with them. I sure was, seeing that they are so dark, and some other aspects. Fortunately, they can be lightened with a graphics program. (Ain't digital photography great? :-hah ) I wish I had been on-site to do the photography, but all things considered, my friend Tom Irwin (seen in some of the pics) did a decent job. And he did something I could never have done, got into Clay Lacy's hangar.I'm looking forward to the previews! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/...y/xyxthumbs.gif[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest effyouthree

Bob,Yes, I must remember to mention Tom when she's released (not Tom, the plane...) ;)The darkness isn't a big problem as there is plenty of contrast to play with. It would be nice to get a couple more 'bright sunlight' shots for the colours but what I have should be fine for now.Spent another couple of hours on the T6 last night, cleaning-up the tail and elevator joints. She's coming along nicely. I've junked the canopy and started again with a better profile. One thing I didn't realise was the difference between the canopies of the different models. I am redoing this one to match the photos - an SNJ-5. Wirraways and Harvards (some) had different canopies. Wirraways had a gunner's position at the rear (yes, that's right, in WW2, we Aussies actually used them as rudimentary fighters and bombers :-eek ). At the rate the US and UK were going through P51s, we didn't have much choice :-roll:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest Ansgar

Hi Jon Point,just as a small reminder...for your future projects:Is there a chance for me to get your Dash8 model for our AI pack in future? I know that Chris is eagerly awayting an upgrade here.Thanks in advance. ;-)Ansgar

Ansgar,I'm awaiting the upgrade.....so long as Jouko can get the Dash 8 and Twin Otter to behave realistically, and sound authentic. Seeing a Dash 8 accelerate to the take-off speed of a 777...and requiring 8000 feet of asphalt to do it does not equate with STOL !!! :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,hmmmm this seems to get the well known "hen and egg" problem....Who was first???!!Actualy it doesn

Ansgar,How about 3000 feet take-off distance for the Dash 8, and 2000 feet for the Twin Otter ? The landing values would be slightly lower. These figures would allow me to add these two aircraft at some of the smaller asphalt strips (in addition to the larger airports).Chris Low.PS. If anyone knows what length of asphalt is required for these two aircraft to make a successful take-off, then speak up !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Folks,Dash-8 (300) = 3350ft (1021m) @ MTOW.DHC-6 = 1500ft (CAR-3, 50ft clearance).In reality, you'll do somewhat better than this, as I model my aircraft with about 50% PAX loading. I do this to allow 100% fuel load - you cannot have both at once ;)So, back to the suggestions, 3000ft and 2000ft sound fine :-wavePS The Dash8 AI lives again! I've just got to track down the spare texture spots in 'models.res' and I'm away. Ansgar, there is one generic texture and two livery-specific ones for the Dash8. I have a Horizon livery done for the US and a BA one for UK. Should I do an Ignited as an extra?Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,Yes, an Ignited Airlines version would be fine. Please proceed ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon Point, :-wave :-jumpy superb news that the Dash8 AI is becoming alive. Thanks in advance very much!What I need is the model (as you send me with the DHC-6 as *.E file) together with an map-example (mat.txt) and may be some liveries. If you can generate 3 liveries it would be great.Once I have the model and mat.txt I can generate also myself new liverie variants. Additionaly I

Guest JakeInHartsel

Chris,When I was at the Paris Airshow in I think 1976, when I saw a Dash 8 land and come to a full stop in about two and a half fuselage lengths. When he made his final approach he appeared to be in full beta at about 50 ft. agl I imagine he was very light as well.JakeInHartselSitting at my computer at 9,700 ft. msl