Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Can anyone help regarding this problem ?

I am getting quite annoyed with my Beechjet constantly sliding left and right when I am trying to move along airport taxiways. Why the hell is it doing this ? The problem appeared occasionally when using my old PC, but it is much worse now.Does anyone have any ideas about a possible solution ? I like to be able to stick to the taxiway centreline, but that is sometimes impossible when the b****y plane is practising ice skating at the same time ! :-fumeChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

Seems to me you've picked up the "slip'n'slide" virus ;-). Seriously, I wonder if it is not a joystick setting. When last did you calibrate it a bit? I can't say that I ever detected it on my system. However, I'm in the "make-over" of my PC and FU3 is still on the smaller HD and I didn't get to transfer all my data yet (part of this weekend's projects). Can FU weather simulate slippery runway conditions? I also didn't check that in all these years I have FU3 (shame on me!).X-Plane's latest release (7.4) is currently severely plaqued by this phenomena. With the sligtest wind even their 747 slowly turns into the wind very little tyre friction it seems. I doubt that FU3 has the same problem (I hope). Not much of a help, but be sure I'll try it, hopefully by Sunday. Another thought: does this happen an all airports?Pieter

Pieter,Recalibrating the joystick does not affect the problem.Your question regarding whether this happens at all airports is a good one. The answer is no. It happens at many of them, but the plane seems to behave at some airports. I cannot understand why. I originally thought that it might be because the individual taxiway lines were stretched over uneven ground (thereby making the line sink into the terrain at some points, and rise above it at others). However, the problem also occurs at perfectly flat locations, so this can be ruled out.I am baffled.....but I want it sorting out.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello Chris,1. As far as I know FU3 doesn

Chris.this problem looks very strange.That kind of "lack of ground friction effect/sliding" I have found in MS.fs2004 and I hate it.take a closer look both at your FU3.cfg file and also the calibration settings for the wheel brakes.Could there be some of the main wheels half braking on the ground??I have never noticed this before using FU3 on my old system Win.98SEor Win.XP.Conclusion:Test settings again!!Lars Peter.:-wave

Lars + Ansgar,It seems that the plane actually slides sideways. When I try to compensate by turning the other way, it suddenly starts sliding towards the opposite side ! I have also noticed that I can sometimes taxi forwards with the plane at a slight angle to the taxiway centreline. In other words, it is almost like tacking into the wind....but on the ground :-eekI have not changed anything about the Beechjet. It is the original .res file. The only modification that I have made regarding the brakes and the joystick concerns the addition of a joykeys.cfg file. This allows me to use the front button (button 1) on the joystick to activate and deactivate the thrust reversers. In addition, pressing (and holding) button 4 applies the main brakes.As for whether it is only this plane that is affected, I will have to experiment. I have been using ONLY the Beechjet for such a long time that I honestly do not know the answer to that question !I will let you know.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Folks,Not sure exactly what it is but I've seen it with everything at some stage. Chris is correct, it comes and goes. I noticed it with the GeeBee, Dash-8 and DHC-6 whilst testing (and, to a lesser degree, the DC3 - taildraggers get weirder...). Once you achieve a reasonable forward speed it doesn't happen. I tried increasing the 'lateral drag' of the gear but it made no difference (might've been worse...) so it's not that. BTW, AIs do it too! After spending the last week mucking around with new AI planes (you'll see them soon!), I noticed they sometimes do it as well. Last night, I tracked a Dash-8 AI down the taxiway at SEA at about a 5 degree angle. The AI in front (737) also did it a bit as I noticed I could read the right side of the 737's tail all the way to the end.That said, it didn't really detract from the experience that much :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

It affects ALL of the planes, so it isn't a problem with the Beechjet. It may sound silly, but it is really affecting my enjoyment of FU3 at the moment. I like to be able to keep to the taxiway centreline (which is the main reason why I "cleaned up" the taxiways and AI pathways in the first place), so this little glitch drives me nuts :-fumeChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

Chris, sheems to me we getsh tired of FU3? ;-) Just, joking, can you let me know on which airports it happens? No matter how hard I tried (one engine out, differential braking, etc.) I can not duplicate this. Neither the jet nor Baron (twin engines) and Mooney (single engine and mighty powerful) does this. I'm lazy to put in the FU3 scenery CD so I only checked the Bay area (which resides on the HD). I still like SFB scenery more than Seattle (aiports too close together - SFB has more open space), so I only tried on Livermore, Scaramento and SFO (with its many taxiways) and they are as straight and stable as can be!Pieter

Jon,I haven't actually noticed if the AI planes do this. I will have to check it out.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Pieter,It happens to a certain extent at most airports. As for the comment about "getting tired of FU3", you aren't as far off the mark as you might think. There are days when problems like this seriously dent my enthusiasm for FU3. Generally, I get over it....but I can't help thinking that one day I might not. If that happens, then my flight simulation days will be over unless one of the following occurs:-1. Looking Glass Studios is reborn, and Flight Unlimited 4 is released.2. Microsoft do the unthinkable, and actually release a flight simulator that includes all of those features that make FU3 so special (and MSFS so damn annoying).3. X-Plane is upgraded to my specification :-)4. Another civilian flight simulator is developed that is more fun than FU3.To be honest, I don't see any of the above on the horizon.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Don't lose heart there, old boy! Everything gets us down sometime :-roll* FU3 doesn't always do this - it goes through 'stages'. I had to watch about 30 minutes of AI cycling before this one did it! Last night, my Dash-8 skidded for just a second before moving off. It has to do with the modelling around 'moving off' or, overcoming ground drag. * At least FU3 MODELS both lateral AND rolling friction!* MSFS does it muuuuuuch worse.* Despite all the countless hours we've put in, there are still foibles. Relax! Do what I do and spend an evening doing something else :-beerchug OK, maybe not that! I think you've done a grand job of improving our sim but perfection in this realm is simply not achievable - yet. * I've seen commercial (and 'non-civil') sims do far more stupid things than this - and they cost millions! At one sim, I found myself flying THROUGH the scenery models - at 40,000ft. THAT never happens in FU3 :-lol OK, my FBOs might float, but not at 40,000ft :-lolBesides, wait until you see the BA/Loganair and Skybus DHC6 AIs ;)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"