Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Blurry textures

OK, does anyone know if there is a solution for those blurry ground textures ? You know, the ones that gradually sharpen as you fly over them. I was wondering if there was a way to increase the distance at which they remain sharp and clear.We can increase the range at which 3D objects appear, so is this possible ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris Low.Well no, thats not quight right.We can not increase the range at which 3D objects appear, As such!We can increase or decrease the model density to sum extent in flight with thees linen in the cfg.; Controls building densityctrl_1 console set_model_density 1ctrl_2 console set_model_density 2ctrl_3 console set_model_density 3ctrl_4 console set_model_density 4ctrl_5 console set_model_density 5ctrl_6 console set_model_density 0Or as I discuvered sun time ago, we can increase or decrease the model detail scale so we can seemor detail ferther out.I forget what the defalt number is but try this line with 0.0 and then try it with 1000.0 which is what I use, and you will see a dramatic diferance.Useing a higher number than 1000.0 seems to make no diferance as the models keep all there detailuntill thay are out of sight.model_detail_scale 1000.0You might also try diferant numbers with this line, that Jon Point discuvered but as far as I am awhere it only seems to afect the detail of the terrain hight not the textures as with the the models.opt_terrain_detail 999So perhaps you can experyment and cum up with a form of words or line that FU3 will recognizand alouw us to edit the terrain texture detail scale? glidernut.:-wave

opt_distance_clippingThat line seems to affect the distance at which 3D objects appear. I have increased it to 200, and buildings seem to appear at a greater distance. However, I increased this to 500, and the AI Startup sequence stopped at 99 per cent...without progressing to the simulator itself. I had to reboot the PC :-(Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

opt_distance_clippingI can not conferm that this controls how far out all details are drawn.Perhaps it dus your ground textures?I am not shoower what it dus, but it shoower dus sumthing that afects the frame rate.500 is too much for my pc as well.glidernut

Guest effyouthree

Chris/John,You are correct that FU3 doesn't like distance clipping beyond '103'. In fact, it seems to make little difference at all :-(Anyone with a pre-patched version wish to comment? I know that LGS played a lot with the slider ranges with the patch. This is why I came up with the terrain detail modification,- I'd read somewhere that the range had been severely reduced so it's effect was more controllable. They'd still left the 'range' in there though - so we can still access it ;)I've tried pushing many settings outside their normal limits and either noticed no change - or a complete crash. I'd love to unlock this one :-waveWe should bring Andre in on this as he's the master of generating the different level maps. Maybe, he may have a clue as to how to force FU3 to a higher-level map? One could feasibly replace maps with higher-res ones, like we do with aircraft. Most people don't realise there are 3 levels of detail for all aircraft - flyable as well as AI. In reality, you can get away with one (like all but the original LGS planes)! Maybe (at great cost to our HD space) we could replace the lower-res textures with the 'next level up' and see what happens? I wouldn't recommend any more, just one level, to keep the sharper full-res textures there for longer. A the moment it depends upon height but at low altitudes, one only gets about 3 miles with clarity. Interestingly, at height, you can see further (which is to be expected) but the hi-res textures seem to cover a larger area as well.Maybe it has something to do with size? I have noticed that the point at which FU3 'switches' models on or changes to full resolution appear related to the field-of-view. As soon as an object occupies more than a certain width-of-view, it changes. If you align a 'long' model across your flightpath, you'll see it a lot sooner than if it was end-on. Similarly, if you do have low and hi-res versions of a model, it appears to switch at about the same point. This is why you can't see my cellphone tower until you hit it - too narrow!From above, maybe FU3 'switches' between levels according to the field-of-view they occupy. That explains why, at higher altitudes, the hi-res are is larger.That's my 2c for the moment but I'd love to play with this :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Hi all,Have no idea how this work. Know just the format of the texture files but never find out how switching is controled :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Since angle of view seems to be the critical factor, this would explain why your single birds never worked too well. Now I enjoy flying your seagull (and can't wait until you finish mucking around with these other planes and get back to some serious manufacturing), so I guess I'm invisible too. A sort of stealth seagull. I could do some lowlevel approaches, bomb targets (windscreens, bowler hats, passengers, statues, whatever) and wing it without being detected. I'll need a name for my stealthgull though. Any ideas?RobD.

Guest effyouthree

Andre,My idea was that we wouldn't alter the switching, as it is probably 'in-built' to the software. The question was (and I don't pretend to know anything about this so I'm sorry if I sound stupid...), when the system switches 'from' a 4m/pixel texture, does it switch to a same-sized tile or is the next level 'down' simply 4 times the size, at 1/2 resolution? If it were the former, we could copy the highest level maps and rename them to match the lower ones. Somehow though, I believe that each level map covers a different area so we can't do this :-(BTW, there is some delay effect related to this. When flying low and slow, the hi-res scenery extends well. At higher speed (~200kts), the highest level barely gets to draw as you pass over it. I tried this last night with the B400 - I could barely see the hi-res texture over the panel!! And, not at all in F3...:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"