Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Big Red

I've been working on a minor texture update of the "Big Red" Baron. Basically, I've cleaned up a few blotches. I might upload the textures and advise people to use ResViewer to import them.However, it might be time for a version # 2. What we'd really like to see is the cockpit by Steve Hess. Does anyone know if he plans to finish it? He sent me a screenshot of the panel a long time ago and he also postet it on this forum. Hans Petter

Hans,Is it true that Ed Weber has sold the Big Red ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

I think stevehess has fallan off the planet, I sent him an emale asking about the TigerMoth cockpit that he had started and not finished, but I had no reply.Its been a long time since anyone hear has hered from him so I ges all we can dois hope he is ok and that he just got fedup with this lot and got on with otherthings in life.Perhaps you would consider having a go at finishing the BigRed,s cockpit your self?Version # 2, by that Norwegian fela, "Hans Petter", ye that would be good.Your knolage of hyperbaric physiology at sum unhered of ambient pressure could be of grate valyou.When your in charge of the cockpit design you can hav the instramentsmesher whate ever peramiter you like, Gas decompression rasheos,anything.glidernut.:wave

Chris, the real Big Red has been / is going to be sold. Ed Weber couldn't afford a twin engine anymore (fuel prices) and wants to down-size. You may read all about it on the ProPilot forum. In any event, we can still afford our virtual fuel fills :-)Glidernut, I may attempt to set up a panel. There are a few issues:1) I've got Steve's bitmap. Still, it would be a bit rude to use it without his consent.2) He might still be planning to finish this panel. If so, it would be a waste of time to compile an alternative version.3) Steve's old Baron panel is a pretty close match. No surprise since it IS a Baron panel. Thus, one might add a few "Big Red peculiarities" to this panel that we already have. But then, it would be nice to get Steve's approval first.In any event, if I/we decide to upload a version # 2 it would be nice to include as many new features as possible. Anything else you'd like to see being changed? Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

HP,I can understand fuel price problems - I have enough trouble with a 120HP single! I couldn't imagine how much a Baron would cost but it would be at least 2-3 times as much :-eekNow, back to FU3 land. Why not use Steve's old Baron upload, with the new textures/callsign etc? I cannot imagine Steve having a problem - he released it as freeware! I'm still waiting to see what others could do with stuff I've uploaded :-rollWhen you do it, create a script in Resviewer so that if/when Steve surfaces again, you can grab his cockpit and wrap Big Red around it!This is what Steve and I did with the GeeBee. He worked on a P51 base whilst I played with the flight model, sounds and textures. When he'd finished, I grabbed the P51 he sent me and ran my Resviewer script on it, converting it into a GeeBee in 5 minutes! Then, I imported my latest flight model and voila! :-)PS I'd like to see all textures at 256x256 if they're not already. PPS I wouldn't mind replacing the AI Baron with a Big Red version - just because I prefer the brighter colours. Of course, this is beyond what you were contemplating but it would be better for you to do it than anyone else ;)PPPS Can we put Ed's face on the pilot? PPPPS Steve DOES disappear from time to time but I'm sure he'll be back. To be fair, I don't think he has the time to put into FU3 that some of us have, I guess I'm lucky to be an almost-daily participant! Still, his cockpit work is usually worth waiting for IMO.Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

G'day mista Point,If I decide to combine Steve's Baron panel with Big Red cockpit views and Ansgar's new Baron with Big Red livery, how would I go about it?I believe that the best (possibly the only) approach would be to choose Steve's old Baron and import Ansgar's new model, my cockpit views and my livery. A Big Red AI Baron should be possible. Again, since I haven't played with AI livery replacement I may need some tutoring.Ed's face is on the Big Red pilot already. His female companion got a decent blue dress but we don't quite know who she is. In any event, we needed a respectable woman to accompany a mature southern gentleman :-)Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

HP,Yes, your method is correct! You must start with the resfile containing the cockpit ;)As to an AI Big Red, fire-up Resviewer, open 'models.res' and extract files 177, 178, 179 and 180. These are the texture files for the Baron. Also extract the palette at the end of the resfile. As usual, expand them to 512x512 (or better, 1024x1024), 24-bit and use them as a base. You can then open your original Big Red textures and cut 'n' paste them over the AI ones. EZHP?Now you can play around with the textures all you want. Don't forget to use the extracted palette ;) Once you're happy (or just inquisitive...), import them back in. To see the results (without having to track one down on-the-fly), using Resviewer, go to files 505, 506 and 507 to see the results. Easy-peasy. Did I say to make a backup first? Oh well...Dunno if the AI pilot has a face but if it does, you're away. Oh, a respectable (southern) woman? Blanche Deveraux strangely springs to mind when I read those words :-lolRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"