Sign in to follow this  
Guest Seadog

CH USB Flightsim Yoke & Pro Pedals

Guest effyouthree

Seadog,Dunno if this helps - I just saw your lonely post, still waiting!I use Win98SE and have used 2 joysticks before. I currently use one, although this will change soon. I use a CH 'Virtual Pilot' (old gameport) yoke with throttle. My second 'stick' is a Microsoft 'Sidewinder' USB, cut apart to give me a rudder and heaps of buttons. I've never had any problem with the configuration of it, trying all kinds of combinations with the buttons. I used the control manager ('Microsoft Central' or something...) to allocate the buttons and axes (only use one though for rudder).Recently, I decided to rebuild it mechanically and had to edit the config file to put the toe brakes back on the yoke. It worked fine. I think where many people have problems has to do with joystick numbering. My CH always comes up as 1 and the other as 2 but I know I must unplug the pedals before playing NFS or I'll be steering with the pedals :-eek This is because the later game seems to recognise the USB stick as 1. I don't use the CH software at all - it caused me problems with the USB stick. You don't need it anyway as Windows allows calibration directly.Anyone using CH PRO stuff that can assist?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Logitech stick and CH pedals -- both USBEverything works fine under Win 2000, except that I don't have differential toe braking. My flight3.cfg contains:; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2Hans Petter

Guest Seadog

Bless you, Brother Jonathan, for taking pity on a poor itinerant Seadog. It appears the solution will be so hardware-specific that perhaps only CaptRolo can help.If anyone can prevail on him to share his specifics with me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to be a new junior member of the fraternity, but the inability to use all my controls is driving me mildly mad.Seadog

Guest Seadog

Thank you, Hans, for taking time to help. I use the same settings as you, and am interested primarily in what further settings to use to control prop pitch and mixture. It's good to have confirmation of the settings you use for the others, however. Thanks again,Seadog

You are already a member of the FU3 community. Welcome to AVSIM Online :-waveChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

(links, 'click' where appropriate)General info from the Looking Glass readme file,http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=12075&page=and from the pen of Capt Rolohttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=6531&page=andhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=3715&page=andhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=4471&page=while Henri (Hawk) recommendedhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=3717&page=and John Voznak recommendshttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=3721&page=while another snippett is fromFletchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=4470&page=and Jimmi G had a whole thread of suggestions and tips herehttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchand soon you shall touchdown at Coupeville NOLF as lightly as a flea on ricepaper:-wavePete

Guest Seadog

Thanks very much, Pete, for all the kind effort that went into preparing that large serving of help. As it would happen, I know just how much effort it was because I also did it prior to posting my plea. I studied all of those things, and more.The solutions offered by CaptRolo, I've finally concluded, are unavailable to me and any other newcomers because he is using a program that is no longer available, called the CH Combo driver.John Voznak says, about his solution, that he is using the newer CH Control Manager program, which is available now in ver. 3. I've tried his solution without success.That's why I asked if people using Control Manager had made changes to the default assignments within that program. Without that further information, the cfg file settings alone aren't enough to nail down the final golden answer. I would need to know that from John.Absent that, I decided to apply brute force. I unplugged the rudder pedals and began to see if I could get just the yoke to work on all 5 axes with no additional program like the Control Manager. I tried 128 different combinations of settings today, one axis at a time, and then 2 axes at a time, for all three of the axes besides X & Y, using all possible combinations of axis numbers from 3 through 8, with no luck. I'm worn out by it.I still have to try 3 axes at a time. The way I do the math, that's another 216 variations. My head hurts just thinking about it - see ::-vuur Thanks again for your kind help, Pete.Seadog

Guest Seadog

Hello again, Pete, and thank you. Enlightenment, yes; utility, no. CH and Frugals and Stickworks I had already read, and CH has no solution for the prop and mixture axes (nor do the others, or the additional forums I've read), but I have already solved adding prop or mixture (controlled by the prop lever), but not both. I hadn't read Control Center, but they had no solution, either. I did do a web search on alltheweb.com, which turned up a quite old, discarded FAQ from CH which said FU3 had no USB support, and they were negotiating with the developers to find a solution. Well, we know what happened to the developers and, thus, what happened to that solution. Heck, I've even begun studying some of the intricacies of USB in general. The path direct to the heart of the matter would pass through John Voznak, who has the only apparent solution I could adopt, but I've no idea how to contact him to learn the further details I need.In case anyone's interested, what works for me so far is, without using any additional software such as CH Control Manager, to place the following in flight3.cfg:; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3prop_pitch_device 2 6rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2To obtain control of the mixture knob, instead, albeit using the propellor pitch lever on the yoke, substitute mixture_device for prop_pitch_device. I'm still contemplating that flea you mentioned, but the paper looks suspiciously like flypaper from here. Thanks for your cheerful good help.:-bigangel Seadog

This is what I have in flight3.cfg, and everything works correctly:; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3mixture_device 2 5prop_pitch_device 2 6rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2The only difference from yours is the insertion of line 4.Dugald

Guest Seadog

Dugald, thanks very much for that contribution. Your setup is precisely what ought to work for me and anyone else, according to the logic of the manner in which FU3 and DirectX read the axes. It is simply beyond my comprehension why, when I assign mixture to 2 5, it doesn't work, and locks up the mixture control knob in the program. I can't use the mouse on it, and the keyboard commands are inactive as well.My foray into the arcane world of how USB works showed there are differences in the quality of implementation from one motherboard chipset to another. The expert at www.usbman.com says Intel chipsets are "the gold standard."I'm using a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! with an Athlon XP 1800+. The board's chipset is the Via KT266A.If you have the time, would you please tell me what motherboard, processor and chipset you are using? Thanks again.Seadog

My motherboard is Asus A7V266-E, the processor is Athlon 1900+, and the chipset is Via KT266A.Dugald

Guest Seadog

Thanks, Dugald. At least I can stop researching the chipset as a potential problem. I appreciate the information.Seadog