Sign in to follow this  
Guest JakeInHartsel

FU 3 and XP with USB Joystick

Guest JakeInHartsel

Well i finally got FU3. Loaded it on the machine and it doesn't recognize the USB connected joystick. Are there any patches for FU3 to run on XP and if so does someone know where to get them. I tried flightsim.com but never got on. Maybe i will try early in the morning and see if i have better luck.JakeInHartselSitting in front of my computer at 9,700 ft. msl

Guest Motormouse

Hi Jake,There is only 1 patch ever made for FUIII, you can find it in the Avsim library,mainly to deal with Nvidia video card issues.For your joystick problems you need to add a 'joykeys.cfg' file in your main flt3 folder, here is LG's 'how to do it'.If you're still stuck, do a forum search for 'Capt Rolo',Ralph (Capt Rolo) posted his joykeys.cfg a while back, and in the Avsim library there is a command file by John Voznack.I don't have USB joystick myself, so I can't give more specific help.Hope this helpsPete Joystick ConfigurationYou can specify which device (by number) to use for joystick, rudder and throttle independently. Device numbers begin with 1. For rudder and throttle, you must also specify which device axis to use. Axis numbers are: 1 X axis 2 Y axis 3 Z axis 4 rotation around X 5 rotation around Y 6 rotation around Z 7 slider 0 8 slider 1The throttle on joysticks is usually the Z axis, and rudder pedals are usually rotation around Z.Set the joystick device with the joy_device console command: (Note: to access the console, while in the game, hit the colon (:) key to bring up the console. A darkened area on the top of your screen should appear. You can now type in the commands as listed.) joy_device For example, "joy_device 2" would select the second joystick device. The joystick device X & Y axis control the airplane ailerons and elevators. You do not specify which axes to use for the joystick device. The joystick device can also be specified by adding a joy_device line to the flt3.cfg file, which has exactly the same syntax as the console command. The joy_device command updates the flt3.cfg with the new joy_device setting, so you should not normally have to edit flt3.cfg to select the joystick device (or rudder or throttle devices).You can set the rudder device with the rudder_device console command rudder_device For example "rudder_device 1 6" would connect rudder control to the 6th axis of the first device. The rudder device can also be specified with a line in flt3.cfg, which has the exact same syntax as the rudder_device console command.Set the throttle device with the throttle_device console command throttle_device For example "throttle_device 2 4" would connect throttle control to the 4th axis of the 2nd device. The throttle device can also be specified with a line in flt3.cfg, which has the exact same syntax as the throttle_device console command.If the tape strip (F12) is displayed, the joy_device, rudder_device, and throttle_device commands display the name of the selected device on the right hand side of the tape strip.The following lines in flt3.cfg would specify the default device setup for someone who has a joystick with throttle and rudder pedals all hooked up to a standard gameport card: joy_device 1 throttle_device 1 3 rudder_device 1 6You can dump a list of attached joysticks with the joy_info console command. This command puts the list of joysticks in the file joyinfo.txt in your flight3 install directory.You can set the device which controls prop pitch with the prop_pitch_device console command prop_pitch_device For example "prop_pitch_device 2 7" would connect prop_pitch control to slider 0 of the 2nd device. The prop pitch device can also be specified with a line in flt3.cfg, which has the exact same syntax as the prop_pitch_device console command.You can set the device which controls the mixture with the mixture_device console command mixture_device For example "mixture_device 2 8" would connect mixture control to slider 1 of the 2nd device. The mixture device can also be specified with a line in flt3.cfg, which has the exact same syntax as the mixture_device console command.You can set the device which controls the toe brakes with the toe_brakes_device console command toe_brakes_device For example "toe_brakes_device 2 4 5" would connect toe brakes control to the 4th and 5th axis of the 2nd device. The toe brakes device can also be specified with a line in flt3.cfg, which has the exact same syntax as the toe_brakes_device console command.Here is more info on the 'Command Console' and 'Joykeys'Command Console SystemThe command console is invoked from fly mode by hitting the ":" key. The command console was primarily used during development of the game to debug features before the UI for those features was ready. A few features were added to the game in the final stages which are only accessible by invoking the command console. Console commands can also be triggered by joystick buttons or keyboard keys, as described in the "Joystick/Keyboard Command Binding System" section.Here is a list of useful console commands:set_stealth This command sets the transparency percentage of the player plane model. PERCENTAGE can be a number between 0 (solid) and 100 (invisible),or can be an increment added to or subtracted from the current transparency level. Examples:set_stealth 50 make plane half transparentset_stealth +20 make plane 20% more transparentset_stealth -10 make plane 10% less transparentThis command only works if you have enable_stealth in your flt3.cfg file, and if you are using 3D graphics hardware acceleration.This command does not affect the transparency of cockpit art in the VFR and IFR cockpit (F2 and F3) views.head_tilt This command tilts the users view up or down by the specified number of degrees. DEGREES can be a number between 0 and 360, or can bean increment added to or subtracted from the current head tilt angle. Note that "head_tilt -10" means tilt the view angle 10 degrees down from its current setting, if you want to specify a head tilt angle of 10 degrees below the default you should use the string "head_tilt 350". Examples:head_tilt 20 set the view angle to be 20 degrees above the defaulthead_tilt +10 set the view angle to be 10 degrees above the current view angle setting.head_tilt -5 set the view angle to be 5 degrees below the current view angle setting.This command is most useful for getting a better view of the runway during landings.This command only affects the VFR and IFR cockpit (F2 and F3) views.set_model_density This command controls how many models appear in the world. The model density can also be set from the optionsgraphics screen, but changing it from the command console allows you to quickly compare your frame rate with different density settings. DENSITY can have be between 0 and 5:0 no models (runways, buildings, vehicles, trees, animals)1 only runways (for maximum frame rate while landing)2,3,4 progressively more buildings, vehicles, trees and animals)5 all modelsAn example use of this command would be to bind "set_model_density 1" to one hotkey, which you would hit while on final approach to a runway, and bind "set_model_density 3" to another hotkey, which you would hit to switch back to some models being displayed.Joystick/Keyboard Command Binding SystemIn the following section, a "joykey" refers to a joystick button or keyboard key. The following section also refers to the command console. The console is invoked from fly mode by hitting the ":" key.You can change the mapping of joystick buttons or keyboard keys from their defaults by creating a file named joykeys.cfg in your flight directory. That file contains lines with one of these formats: bind joykey to function, pass default data to function bind joykey to function, pass specified data to function off remove all bindings to this joykey console bind joykey to console command stringThe best way to find out the syntax for joykey_codes, as well as the list of available functions, is with the dump_hotkeys console command described below.There is a brief description of the joykey code syntax at the end of this document.Examples: joy_1 left_brake_on when joystick button 1 is pressed, turn on the left brake joy_1_up left_brake_off when joystick button 1 is released, turn off the left brake alt_x off disable alt-x (program exit) shift_alt_f do_the_hokey_pokey 10 invoke the do_the_hokey_pokey routine with data value 10 ctrl_u console wakeup the dog pass the string "wakeup the dog" to the consoleDynamic Joykey Function MappingYou can change a single binding on the fly with the console "bind" command. The bindcommand is followed by a string with the same format as lines in joykeys.cfg.Example: bind joy_1_down toggle_landing_gear this would bind your joystick button 1 to toggling the landing gear.NOTE: bindings added with the "bind" command are not recorded and go away when you exit this program.Getting a List of Existing Joykey BindingsYou can get a list of all the existing joykey bindings written to a file with the console command dump_hotkeys .Making Joybuttons RepeatJoybuttons can made be to repeatedly invoke their bound function as long as a joybutton is held down by adding the _rep modifier to the end of the joykey code name. This is good for things like trim or prop pitch which have a large number of increments.You can set the overall global repeat rate with the config variable joykey_repeat_interval, which is repeat time in seconds. Default value is 0.1.You can set the overall global delay before repeating begins with the config variable joykey_repeat_delay, which is also in seconds. Default value is 0.25.The repeat rate for individual buttons may be scaled by adding _XX after _rep, where XX is between "1" (fastest repeat) and "15" (slowest repeat). "10" is the default repeat rate. For example, with the default values, you could make joybuttons repeat with an interval of of .001 seconds to .15 seconds.Joykey Code String PartsLook at the default joykey bindings section below for good examples of Joykey codes.Prefixes:joy_ joystick buttonkey_ keyboard key (optional)Modifiers:altshift NOTE: shift_f is not the same as F, shift_; is not the same as :ctrlkp numeric keypad key (IE kp_5 instead of regular 5)Suffixes:_down do the key or button press (optional)_up do the key or button release_rep_XX make the command repeat at rate XX, XX="1" is fastest, XX="10" is default rate, and XX="15" is slowest. This is only for joybutton presses. The _rep_XX must be the last token in the keycode string (after _down/_up).special key names: ins del home end pageup pagedown up down left right print pause bs esc tab enter space f1 through f12Default Joykey Bindingsx_up Zoom_Out_Donez_up Zoom_In_Donebs Toggle_Auto_Trimtab Activate_Radioenter Repeat_Messageesc Exit_Screenspace Communicate" Toggle_Navigation_Lights' Toggle_Beacon, Left_Rudder. Right_Rudder/ Center_Rudder; Toggle_Anti_Collision_Lights< Rudder_Trim_Left> Rudder_Trim_Right? Rudder_Trim_CenterB Prop_BrakeC Source_Next_CommE Select_EngineF Flaps_UpI Source_SelfL Toggle_Pulse_LightsO Source_Next_Ground_ObjectP Source_Next_PlaneX Increase_Field_Of_ViewZ Decrease_Field_Of_View[ Elevator_Trim_Up Elevator_Trim_Center] Elevator_Trim` Toggle_AntiIcea Autopilot_OnOffb Toggle_Parking_Brakesc Target_Next_Commd Increment_Time_Of_Daye Start_Enginef Flapsg Toggle_Landing_Gearh Toggle_Carb_Heati Target_Selfj Panel_Main_Backlightingk Toggle_Taxi_Lightsl Toggle_Landing_Lightsm Inflight_Mapo Target_Next_Ground_Objectp Target_Next_Planeq PCLr Toggle_Comm_Radios Increment_Time_Of_Yearu Toggle_Right_Landing_Lightw Wax_Moonx Zoom_Outy Toggle_Left_Landing_Lightctrl_D Dump_Crashboxctrl_M Toggle_Modelsctrl_R Toggle_Blackbox_Recordctrl_d Decrement_Time_Of_Dayctrl_e Shutdown_Enginectrl_f Toggle_Frame_Ratectrl_l Toggle_Labelsctrl_p Toggle_Blackbox_Pausectrl_p Pausectrl_s Blackbox_Save_Editctrl_s Decrement_Time_Of_Yearctrl_v Debug_Voice_Logctrl_w Wane_Moonctrl_z Toggle_Zoar_Modealt_enter Full_Screenalt_M Add_Auto_Markeralt_a Autopilot_HoldAltitudealt_d Toggle_PropDomealt_f Auto_Tune_Radioalt_g Maydayalt_h Autopilot_HoldHeadingalt_m Autopilot_ToggleApralt_n Autopilot_ToggleNavalt_o Optionsalt_r Change_Resolutionalt_s Autopilot_HoldAirspeedalt_t Reload_Voice_Timingsalt_v Autopilot_HoldVerticalSpeedalt_w Autopilot_LevelWingsalt_x Quit_Gamealt_y Toggle_YawDamperctrl_alt_A Add_Hoopctrl_alt_G Toggle_Grid_Texturesctrl_alt_H Toggle_Hoop_Statsctrl_alt_T Cycle_Forced_Grid_Texturesctrl_alt_g Start_Grid_Testctrl_alt_p Print_Screenctrl_alt_q QA_Print_Screenkp_8_up Look_Up_Donekp_4_up Look_Left_Donekp_6_up Look_Right_Donekp_2_up Look_Donekp_0_up Left_Brake_Offkp_del_up Right_Brake_Offf1 Camera_Forwardf2 Camera_VFR_Cockpitf3 Camera_IFR_Cockpitf4 Camera_Virtual_Cockpitf5 Camera_Externalf6 Camera_Chasef7 Camera_Spinningf8 Camera_Taxif9 Camera_MTVf10 Camera_RCkp_7 Look_Left_45kp_8 Look_Upkp_9 Look_Right_45kp_4 Look_Leftkp_5 Look_Aheadkp_6 Look_Rightkp_1 Look_Left_135kp_2 Look_Downkp_3 Look_Right_135kp_0 Blackbox_Toggle_User_Controls_Camerakp_0 Left_Brake_Onkp_del Right_Brake_Onf11 Camera_Stillf12 Toggle_Tape_Stripctrl_kp_5 Center_Controlsctrl_f12 Cycle_Active_Tapestripalt_f5 Camera_Inverse_Externalalt_f7 Camera_Abovealt_f12 Show_Taxi_Pathkp_enter Target_Next_Internalkp_* Reverse_Thrustkp_+ Throttle_Increasekp_- Throttle_Decreasekp_/ SpeedBrakesctrl_kp_+ Mixture_Increasectrl_kp_- Mixture_Decreasealt_kp_+ Prop_Deployalt_kp_- Prop_Retractup_up Pitch_Offleft_up Left_Roll_Offright_up Right_Roll_Offdown_up Pitch_Up_Offhome Target_Next_Internal2up Blackbox_Play_Forwardup Pitch_Onpageup Miracle_Upleft Blackbox_Frame_Backwardleft Left_Roll_Onright Blackbox_Frame_Forwardright Right_Roll_Ondown Blackbox_Play_Backwarddown Pitch_Up_Onpagedown Miracleshift_kp_+ Prop_Increaseshift_kp_- Prop_Decreaseshift_up Blackbox_Play_Fastershift_down Blackbox_Play_Slower

Jake,I refer you to Pete's post ! :-lolI use a USB joystick (CH Flightstick Pro; a brilliant piece of engineering), and I do not have any problems with this using FU3 and Windows XP Home Edition. I do have a joykeys.cfg file, but this was created when I was still using the standard version of this particular joystick. I am at work at the moment, so I can't remember the statements in the file, but I doubt that there are more than four lines. I use button 1 (the index finger button at the front) to activate and deactivate the thrust reversers, and button 4 (the middle button on the hat) for the main brakes (holding down the button applies the brakes, which are released when I let go).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest JakeInHartsel

Thanks Guys, will let you know when i get it running. Be careful about spending too much time at work Chris, it tends to cut into your playtime.JakeInHartselSitting in front of my computer at 9,700 ft. msl

Don't worry, Jake. Work is one of the least important parts of my life, I can assure you ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Whoa, steady on Earl. That's two posts in half an hour :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

HAHAHA! lets make it 3 in an hour and a half. Averages 1 per half hour! Maybe we need a life, Chris! ha ha Have a great day!Earl