Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

If you use FU3, then please confirm by posting here

Guest R_Driscoll

FU3 is my only sim, not because its better but because:1) I have little time to develop a new sim2) I am a conscientious objector to MSFS because of the small incremental changes upgrade policy, I find long flights extremely boring and I don't have a great dispoable income for buying add-ons (I have kids).3) I can make things in the FU3 world (relates to point 1) - this is over half the fun of FU3 - creating new things and seeing how they turn out. Even if its only a new brickstone.4) It does all that I need (I don't want to fly heavies any more - I did that to death with ATP).5) The wonderful, friendly community here! Well, anyway, the wonderful community here. (Oh alright. The community here). 6) After loading FU3 and the 3 scenery areas plus outer terrain, there ain't a whole lot of disk left anyway.7) Soaring over the Cascades. Nuff said.Complaints about FU3:1) the wrong colours in San Fran (and the browny colours in Seattle but at least we fixed that), and the edging around texture squares in Seattle region.2) the limits - esp the two big '256' limits - colour range and MIP size3) 32m distance between terrain altitude points4) slow framerates (due mainly to using CPU for effects instead of Direct and graphics cards - FU3 was ahead of its time)5) lack of functionality in FLED - eg only 'loop' works reliablyRObD.

Guest effyouthree

Hi All :-waveWell, Chris didn't need me to say this but...* I use FU3!* Only FU3* Whether prepping for some real airtime in the Archer, practising thermals in the L-13 or playing 'pilot for hire', you just can't beat the 'feel'. * When I miscalculate the wind and touch down sideways in the GeeBee, it may be harrowing destroying the plane, but it's a lot better than simply sliding along the strip :-(* Or, I love skipping along a ridge in the L-13, feeling lift on the outer wing... Where else do ya get it? * Model creation? As RobD says - rather addictive! I can't remember what I've done but it's well over 200!* Aircraft creation? Workteams of 12? Developing aircraft for FU3 is a very personal experience, as it's entirely possible for one person to do it in a few months. If only we could port the engine to DX9 :-rollRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest qvdg

FU3 is the Only Sim on my machine and since many years nowCheers, QvdG

This is precisely what I was looking for. I am well aware of everyone who posts here on a regular basis, but I have encouraged you to post for the very first time. I hope that others do the same. Hopefully, this will become the best supported thread ever.If you love FU3, then LET US KNOW ! :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

While I have been known to venture into the realm of FS 2002 / 2004 I remain a staunch supporter and user of FU3. Let's put it this way -- I have four flight simulators installed. I like them all. The only really old one is FU3. It's the one that will stay on my drive no matter what the other ones come up with. (Bad sentence since it ends with "with" :-)) I would love to ditch FU3 and install FU4 but in a way I've got FU4 already :-)Anyway, I don't shun other flight simulators. But then, since I dabble into most of them and still cherish FU3 this speaks volumes of the quality of this old sim. And, it speaks volumes of this group of enthusiasts and developers who have made FU3 into much more than Looking Glass ever endeavored.Hans Petter

Guest effyouthree

After receiving 2 emails regarding my previous statement (I only use FU3), I must clear something up.I have been (and hopefully will be in the future) involved with various simulation projects, both military and commercial. My experience with these does not detract from the fact that FU3 is the only sim I fly BY CHOICE.My experience with commercial sims is that, apart from the very high level of simulation (a 'real' cockpit with authentic dials, switches and controls), there is much separating these sims from sims like FU3 and MSFS04. This is OK as the majority of scenarios presented to sim pilots are 'difficulties' like engine failure, hydro failure, gear failure, air traffic communications and the like. This is their purpose - to give crews experience in dealing with threatening problems without endangering them, the aircraft or other passengers. We fly FU3 because we enjoy it, not because we need to prove that we can survive a dual engine outage in a A320 with a 2000fpm downdraft whilst crossing the mountains in a stormburst! My recent experience with real aircraft has only strengthened my interest in FU3. The first time I ever flew a plane, I almost flew it from chock-to-chock, with the instructor only handling the ATC calls. BTW, I had ZERO instruction on my licence. I even had to remind him to take the controls for landing - about 3 seconds before we touched-down. From Go to Whoa!, the Warrior handled exactly as I expected, even on the ground. It was rather spooky actually :-abduct - walking away from the plane, I felt like I should exit to the desktop... I put this down to flying the various Piper singles in FU3 over the last 5 years. :-wave Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest Robs

I'm not worthy I'm not worthyIt's been 3 weeks since my last crosswind landing Say three yehaa and power up the beechjet!!!

Guest Ansgar

hmmmmmmmm.....FU3??? ....never heard about it. Is it a good sim? :-roll :+

I did see some rumors on the internet about it.And I have also seen a lot of articles in some PC magazines thrownon my doorstep by the mailman.HMMM,- That means that this FU-III sim is something to look for.:-cool Lars Peter.(-:

Guest Allan_D

Hi guys.Well I flew FU3 a couple times a week up until I bought my new computer.P4 3.2@800 Mhz FSB 512k of L2 Cache1 gig of Ram120 Gig Serial Ata w/ 8 Meg of CacheDaul operating system loader w XP home in one partition and W98Se in otherATI All-In-Wonder Pro video card.I tried several times to load FU3 on the XP drive with out getting the job done, It kept stopping at the second scenery disk and would not reconize my second disk?If I remember correctly Chris had this Problem also.Anyway after several restores I gave that up and tried it in W98 side.It went in that side Ok but I could not make it look very nice on my screen, No matter were I set sliders it just looked bad, My old computer has a Voodo 5 so I guess I am used to seeing it a lot better then this card will show me.I removed it completelyI'll only be able to use FU3 on my ole computer from now on.It's hers now so it can only be when the wife's not at home :-lolLaterHave Fun :-vuurAllan and PuppyBush Flying Unlimitedhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Allan,My problems were due to Windows XP not being fully compatible with the DVD drive in my old PC. I experienced frequent system shutdowns during installation. However, I have had no problems whatsoever with my new PC.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jcomm

I use FU3 on XP Pro.Love it!

Guest glidernut

Allan,I use FU2 FU3 and FU3+2 on XP Home, it works just fine.But my XP came with my new PC alredy instaled, I think you can onlyhav troubl if you install XP over a diferant operateing sistem.glidernut:-wave