Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

The Pylons are coming !

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Ansgar's framerate is probably not being helped by Win2K. I run this on my 'other' PC (hardware is identical) and the framerates are definitely lower by a few fps. Maybe 15 vs. 20? In OT, both go way over 30fps ;)HP's suggestion is also a good one. On my Win98 PC I was experiencing strange lockups whilst flying. They only lasted for a split second but the framerate would drop to 3 or 4 momentarily, every few minutes or so. I had no idea what it was so I just put up with it (actually, I thought I'd jiggered something in FU3 with all my changes...).On the weekend, I decided to do a defrag, as I'd just moved a whole heap of stuff to another drive to free up some space. Since then, it appears the stutter has gone! I need to fly some more to prove it but, after a 45 minute flight with no stutter, I think it's OK.BTW Chris, the pylons look fine so far. I think I found almost every one but I haven't loaded the latest files you sent yet. ...tonight!:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Here are two screenshots showing the difference in pylon visibility at different times of the day. The first picture was taken at noon, and the pylons can just be seen against a rather bright and "washed out" landscape. In the second picture (taken just before sunrise), you will notice that the pylons are far easier to see. They seem to shimmer with a silvery light, which is very noticeable when compared to the reddish tinge of the slightly hazy terrain that surrounds them.These screenshots were taken in "rogue pylon" territory. Fortunately, this problem has now been resolved.....thanks to Andre Meystre :-waveChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,The reason for the different shades is simple. The main part of the pylons is basically an extended pyramid, which means it only exhibits a vertical (or almost) face. The upper stanchions also only exhibit vertical faces too.The result is, they are easier to see when the sun is lower in the sky, as it shines on the sides. If I used 'flat' shading instead of 'phong', they look almost black in the middle of the day :-(There IS a setting in the cfg file that affects how much objects are lit when not lit by the sun. I have played with this extensively ;) If you use higher values, objects 'come out of the dark' a bit whereas if you use lower values (like I do...), when the sun hits the side of your plane it glows! It also increases terrain contrast a bit but you have to fiddle with gamma and the monitor to make it convincing.You also need a dark room to view it from, if you want to take advantage of the extra contrast. If only FU3 hills threw shadows :-roll:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,I only ever fly in the early morning now, so the fact that these pylons are easier to see at that time is a bonus for me.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello together,an small update to my first test result of Chris nice pylon package:I only send my first result to Chris via private mail because I had not much time and tested it only a few minutes. It seems my first impression (fps-drop-effect) was given too early from me to Chris.I repeated the test (with/without pylon packs) last evening and noticed on my old PC (PIII/667MHz) only a fps dropping of 1...2fps - so nearly not noticable!The reason of my first negative effect is surely no fragmented HDD - because I defragment nearly every 2 weeks. But because I had problems with my PC stability 1..2 weeks ago I had to rebuild my complete boot partition via an older CD-image. Now I assume that the scheduler of my antivirus has started during my test, or a task of my previous used programs has not ended correctly in background during this test.The test was started quick after I used a lot of other programs before.So Chris: don

Ansgar,Don't worry about loads of high detail models. My Athlon 64 processor can handle them ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png