Sign in to follow this  
Guest Apteryx

Upgraded CPU and Video--Now I Have Engine Stuttering

Guest Apteryx

I recently upgraded my AMD Athlon 800/Voodoo 5 to a Dell XPS, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB).Figured that NOW I'd be able fly smoothly...But when I shift the external view around to see a plane from various angles, the engine sound (Sound Blaster Audigy 2) stutters at certain viewing angles and the prop actually does as well! It will go away if I rotate the view a bit.There seems to be about a zillion controls in the ATI driver, none of which are clear to me--a whole new vocabulary.I'd appreciate some very simple guidance on this!

Apteryx,Welcome to the FU3 forum :-waveMy new PC also has a SoundBlaster Audigy 2, and I experience sound stuttering in the F8 view. However, if I pan up so that the sky becomes visible, the stuttering stops. Similarly, if I pan down in the F5 view (so that the sky disappears), the sound starts to stutter.Fascinating, isn't it ! ;-)Chris Low.PS I also have a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Gee, you techno heads!For FU3, you only need a basic sound card. I mean, FU3 doesn't use ANY encoding at all, beyond the basic ADPM.I've used an old AWE64 with FU3 since day 1. And not a stutter ;)Pity, you probably don't have an ISA slot any more either :-rollRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,The Audigy 2 may be wasted on FU3, but I can assure you that Far Cry uses it very well indeed !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

The stutters experienced have nothing to do with your settings. FU3 is just getting old. FU3 is actually still based on DOS and Window 95/98. Today we have a new "ball game". Especially the screen cards with OpenGL, USB ports, DirectX 9, etc.It

Pieter,That's what worries me. When I can't run FU3 anymore, the chances are high that my flight simulation days will be over.....unless some brave developer decides to create Flight Unlimited 4. I honestly can't see Microsoft ever creating something that will satisfy me.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Guy, Guys, Guys...Tch, tch, blaming FU3 on 'being old' :-lolIf your sound card stutters, you have a problem. An incompatibility, maybe a faulty sound card, driver or even motherboard. Chris' experience with a dud DVD is a good example. Why do people put systems together willy-nilly and expect they'll work 100% just because XP loads? Systems from shops are rarely better.Find a system that has been benchmarked by the manufacturer. Buy those components. Don't substitute a cheapo DVD/RAM/PS. Just do it! XP is a pain here as, even if you DO have an incompatibility, XP tries to 'work with it', leaving you with the false belief that everything's OK. For example, install faulty RAM and I bet Windows still loads. At some stage it will lock up but you'll never know when - or why...Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest Robs

Or you could just stick with you old machine dedicated to FU3!I have a now old p3 650 and Geforce 256 and win 98.Unlike Chris, I do like the odd excursion into MSFS2002 as it does helos but the flight model lets it down.How about just buying bits of a machine to the best spec FU3 will run on ebay. I might see if I can find a bargain p3 800 which is the fastest my mother board will run.Upping the motherboard ups the ante considerable with new memory sound video and probably op system as well with all the hassle.I still have thrustmaster flight system which plugs into the game port.I have no FPS problems and get high teens mostly unless someone puts in a a large poly ground model like planes. I think you are getting about as good as it can get without another rewrite of the basic code.Anyway I rambleRob.

Rob,With a Pentium III 650, there is absolutely no way that you would get framerates in the "high teens" if you were running FU3 to a similar level of detail that I do (1024*768 resolution, maximum levels of detail, AI density off the scale, high quality AI models, 6x FSAA, 16x anisotropic filtering, Laurie Doering's upgraded weather installed, every one of my upgraded packages installed, and the new Seattle Pylons pack installed), and that's in GOOD weather. Add overcast conditions with rain, and FU3 would become a slideshow.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,Any news on the release date for the FU3 Photographic Scenery : England and Wales ? ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Chris,Screenshots to show - 1024x768 in high teens mostly -125K limit means if you can't read it you'll have to trust me!The persisting rain shot and sun glare took me to close to 10 fps. This is my mod'ed instal with high qual AI but I do keep AI to mid range.It is true if there is very complex weather and nearby high poly models - static planes on ground or when the demon gardener of san fran town has been adding loadsa trees ;-) then fps is killed.My machine is well set up and drivers tweaked - using various utilities - I have found 20% increase in speed. Nothing is overclocked.What saves me is the graphics card - the geforce is (was) good and takes the load of the proc so machine looks almost proc independant. When is shows is when you lean on the p111 650 with lots of polygons or weather calcs.Yes the settings you have would kill my machine and we all would like a faster machine but sometimes you have to make the best of it which is what I do. So I keep requirements modest and still have a wonderful time. Sooner or later I will get a new machine and I will be wondering how I got by!I have a couple of questions for you-Now you have your high speed serial hard drives, do this remove the pause you get on your scenery packages just after/before take off?The weather upgrades you mention - I think I have been to the site but cannot remember - could you post the link to me.I seem to remember altering the config file a lot. I toned some of it down for FPS.All the bestNot really green about the rig!Rob.

Rob,The Flight Unlimited III weather site can be accessed by left clicking on the link below:-http://www.geocities.com/lcdoering/Photos.htmlI realise now that you were referring to framerates during flight, rather than approaching dense scenery areas designed by "the gardener" :-lolThose unacceptable screen "freezes" certainly have been addressed by my new PC. Whether the Serial ATA hard disk is ENTIRELY responsible for this is difficult to say for sure (fast, high bandwidth DDR RAM may also have a part to play). However, it is a welcome surprise :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Chris,I am not a crop duster! - I like to get up away from the ground!With certain engineers planning pylons it might be as well to say up there looking down on the ol' cumulus !Rob.