Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Brakes and wet weather

Can someone tell me if landing in wet weather results in the brakes being less effective ? I have just attempted a flight from Tacoma Narrows to Asplund Field in the rain....three times......and every time I failed to stop my Beechcraft Baron from smashing into the trees at the end of runway 34, even with the parking brake on :-eekI suppose that this is another one of those realistic aspects of Flight Unlimited 3, but I was starting to wonder whether my brake controls were working properly !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,I believe it does have some effect. Funny, we're doing the same thing - last night I landed at Renton in BAD visibility (heavy snow on the weather radar). OK, I touched down kinda late but I've done that before and still pulled-up.This time, I watched helplessly as, with full reverse thrust and the speed still going 60, 59, 58 etc, I ploughed through the marina into the water (the marina isn't a normal Renton inclusion - and I gotta revise it's location ;) ).I was left in 3ft of water, in the falling snow, with 100 seagulls noisily flapping around me :-lol I didn't realise that runways turn to grease with snow falling. I guess it also shows that for most of my flying and testing, I don't use 'maxxed' weather. Think I need to use it more often!Anyone else noticed this? I reckon, to land safely (!!?!), I would have had to touch down 'on the keys' at stall speed then possibly use only reverse thrust, instead of brakes, until I slowed down to taxi speed. To be honest, I don't normally use reverse thrust on longer strips unless I need it (and the B400 usually doesn't NEED it at Renton). Due to noise restrictions these days, reverse thrust is frowned upon outside daylight hours at many places. I am told airlines prefer it because it 'only' burns fuel whereas not using it burns tyres and brakes, which becomes a maintenance issue. :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

So, British Airways can't be particularly bothered about the maintenance issue. With a fleet that includes plenty of Avro RJs and Embraer ERJ-145s without thrust reversers, presumably fuel burn IS important to them !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What an amazing simulator - is there anything it does *not* simulate? I mean, wind modelling is generations ahead of FS2004 which still does not feature thermals, ridge lift or even wake turbulence...Unfortunately the scenery and graphics of FU3 are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP