Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Altitude of cloud base in wet weather

I am still having trouble lifting the cloud base to a greater altitude during wet weather. I would like to be able to see the terrain up to around 4000 feet across the entire region, but the suggestion that I was given some time ago does not seem to work. I was told to increase the value of the "sky_RainOpticalDepthHW..." statement in the flt3.cfg file.The problem is that the altitude of the cloud base varies throughout the region. With my saved Seattle Rain weather file selected, I can see the terrain up to around 6000 feet directly above Tacoma Narrows, but this drops to less than 2000 feet as I approach Asplund Field. I would like it to be around 4000 feet across the entire region.Can anyone help ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,If you put your weather file hear or send it to me direct, I willhav a look at it and see if I can lift the cloud base by 2000 feet.But I carnt garanty the resalt will giv you what you want.glidernut.:-wave

There may be more to this but keep in mind that the airport elevations are different. Tacoma Narrows is at 229 ft and Asplund at 757 ft. Thus, with a low ceiling you'll see Tacoma while the hilly terrain down south will be shrouded in clouds.Hans Petter

Hans,I am well aware of the elevation differences :-) I also understand that the altitude of the cloud base is likely to change from place to place. I was simply wondering if there is an easy way to define this altitude, or whether it is entirely random.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,In the weather file you sent me there are 4 cloud banks, which makes it a bit mor complicated than I antisipated. I just discuvered that each cloud bank can not be edatid simply by changeing 1 or more of itsperamiters bicous when the file is saved the order of the changes changes so that you end upwith the rong cloud bank having been changed.The only way I could make the nesosery changees to the cloud banks was to make a note of allthe cloud banks peramiters and creeate them as new.Anyway, I did it, I rased all 4 cloud bank bases by 2000.Ps I aso rased all 4 cloud bank tops by 2000 as well, it wouldent do to hav the bases higherthan the tops would it?That reminds me of a conumdram, Qestion) what is it that has its base at the top?Anser) a horses tale. Anyway hear is your weather file, let me know if it did the trik.glidernut.:-wave

Guest glidernut

Oops! Id forget my head if it wernt scrood on.

Thanks, John. I will try and test this tonight if I have time. I am going on holiday to Scotland for 9 days tomorrow, so my schedule could be tight ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Wach your self up there in Scotland, thay are an odd bunch.I wouldant trust anyone whereing a scert.

Thanks for the advice, John. I was thinking about packing a few skirts, but I won't bother now :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png