Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

new London models

Guest R_Driscoll

I have put an update set of specific models for London into the library. Please read the install instructions, since you need to delete one of the old models before the new one can be correctly installed, or you might lock-up your computer.On the UKS issue in general, I can do little to help anyone having problems with crashes. I can assure you that there are no problems with the models or the packages - they have all been checked and re-checked. My version works perfectly - completely bug-free. Distributing this version has proved difficult, since I can't burn my own CD's and also people must be willing to have a base install similar to mine, i.e.:1) REGIONSUK-South must be installed in the correct installation directory according to the registry (i.e. your home c:flight3 directory), since I think it looks for components there. This means for example that you can't install it on a different drive.2) REGIONSSeattle and REGIONSSanFran must be moved out of the REGIONS directory (stored in a backup directory) since they 'compete' with the UK installation.3) Outer Terrain MUST be installed (this is an option when first installing FU3/FU2).4) The San Fran (FU2) component must be installed (also an option when first installing FU3/FU2).5) View distant mountains MUST be switched off (this is an option in the FU3 OPTIONS screen).6) Your PACKAGES folder contains the UKS packages ONLY (i.e. the others have been swapped out).I don't know why these rules are necessary, but they are simple and work. If someone can work out ways around these rules, I would be happy. Also not all of these rules may be necessary - I just know that this installation works.So don't expect that a DVD version of UKS will work unless you have followed these (very simple) rules. For example, if you were to install onto D drive, but your registry and regions.cfg file point to C drive, then the sim will crash. None of the rules are difficult in these days of large hard-disks, and I have set up my computer so I can switch between regions very quickly by simply swapping the relevant region and package folder in/out. Its not rocket science.I hope to meet with Jon at some stage to sort out a distribution method - work commitments make it difficult at present, which is why I am releasing these scenery models separately.Its worth the effort - England is the most beautiful country on earth (after {put home country here} of course). Agtim/Cristian's efforts in realising it are extraordinary, and it really is a sort of FU4. I can't do what they do - change the structure or set up at all. But I can guarantee that the current set of packages and models are completely bug-free.And the best of British to you, ....RobD.

Guest musikai

Now I really would like to try out this UK-scenery.Is there somebody in or near Germany who is willing to send it to me? I've heard so much good about it and the few screenshots I've seen so far only strengthened my curiosity.Kai

Guest Pieter

What I don't understand is what/where is the UK scenery? Is/was it a commercial/payware/freeware package now removed/discontinued?Pieter

Guest Motormouse

its a 'community share' product, we all share it, but at 3 cd's (maybe more now) its waaayyy too big for upload/download to any file library.Send an e-mail to any of the three people who Ansgar said to in his reply here http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=12427&page=and I'm sure a copy will come your way soon.:-wavePete

Guest olympic2

Hi RobD,Read through your post concerning the imstallation of the UK scenery and the need to keep it seperated from the USA areas. As you will know, you cannot install two copies of FU3 on the same hard drive, so I gave it some thought and have a solution - which suits me anyway. Firstly I did a full install of FU2/FU3 as "C:Flight3"I then created two new folders on the "C" drive.One is "C:Regions" and the other is "C:Packages".Under C:Regions I created four folders called "Sanfran", "Seattle", "Switzerland" and "UK-South".Under C:Packages I also created four folders named as in the C:Regions folder.I copied the Sanfran and Seattle folders and files from "C:Flight3" into the C:RegionsSanfran and Seattle folders, and any packages I had installed from C:Flight3Packages to the C:Packages folders, and then deleted all files from the Flight3 folders.This leaves the Flight3Regions and Flight3Packages folders empty.The next item was to run the UK-South setup and then do the same operation with the folders and files for UK-South from the Flight3 folders.Next I ran the Switzerland setup and then did the same with those folders and files.I then used a program called Batchrun.exe (V4.01 from Outer Technologies - Freeware - runs under W95, W98, ME, NT$, 2000 and XP) to create three batch files which I have called "USA", "UK" and "SWISS". These reside on my desktop as icons and are accessed the same as any other program icon.The batch files first delete the contents of the Flight3Region folder and the Flight3Package folder and then copies the area files dependant on which batch file you run.Assuming I have been flying in the Seattle area and I wish to fly the Swiss scenery, all that is necessary is to close FU3 down and run the "Swiss" batch file and roughly 20 seconds later I am at Geneva ready to go.Switching to the USA takes about one minute. Going to the UK is not so quick because of the size of the scenery files to be copied - roughly 5.35Gb compared to 104Mb in Switzerland and 336Mb in USA.I have tried this out on both Win98 and WinXP and have had no problems so far.At laest this way, I have only one install of FU2/3 to worry about.

Hi olympic2As far I heared from Glidernut you can copy FU3 full sets without install and it works. I have 2 FU3 folders on my XP system one is c:fu3 and the other c:flight3 so you can create a set for each region with the packages that's ok.To speed up your version just rename the folder instead of delete and copy this is much quicker. It is as drag and drop on the same drive. :-wave agtim

Yes that's right, FU3 will work fine without each instance or version being registered. Hence, if you want to install new regions as seperate sims you may,1) Copy everything from your properly installed directory to another directory -- for instance, dump everything within your flight3 or FU3 folder into a new directory called FU3_Swiss or FU3_UK.2) Install all region-specific folders and files and delete the ones that you don't need (eg delete anything Seattle and Sanfran in a Swiss sim). 3) Create a shortcut to each local flight3.exe and put it on your desktop, naming each one according to region (eg "Shortcut to Swiss_flt3.exe" or "FU3_Switzerland").4) If you want to use FLED you'll have to access the FLED version within each specific version. Thus, create a shortcut to each version's fled.exe or access it by browsing to the specific folder.Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm a bit confused by that last message, Hans. Your method (setting up separate installations) is the opposite of what I was recommending , but if it works, that's fine. So do you have a working version of the UKS on your system? If you do, that would be wonderful, since I had the impression that you and Cristian could not get UKS to work and this was the reason for the delay in updating the region. I have been sitting on new versions of packages for UKS waiting for Cristian to sort out his installation problems, and would be very happy if you have found a new solution. (My solution is the one described in the top message of this thread).If this is so, let me know and I will release the new packages. Its been a long time since Andy developed his amazing set of people, and they deserve a proper public release. But if your are still having troubles with UKS, this may be the reason - that you have a separate installation. Also, do you have outer terrain insatlled or not?RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

Just to clarify, that last post is definitely not a disagreement with Hans or agtim - I have worked with both you guys over many years and my apologies if I was a bit blunt. I don't understand why some people have trouble getting UKS to run. I know that if you install it as I have, with outer terrain enabled and in the original FU3 home directory, it will work. Olympic2's solution of running batch files to switch regions is perfect, and avoids the need to have separate installations. But I accept there may be other solutions too, and I think Hans idea may be OK, IF you delete some of the airfields from Dave's upgrade. That is, I think the problem is too many airports. I can't test this myself, as I don't have the original UKS disks anymore.Also I have now released the equivalent of 3 complete versions of UKS through various means (apart from the scenery data) and this has not solved anything. So I have to think that it is the method of installation, not the packages, AI upgrades, new airports, new voices etc that is the problem. Don't expect me to release a fourth version.RobD.