Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

One or two interesting updates

Three screenshots showing a handful of useful updates that I have made to three airports in FU3.1. TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE -- That zig-zag section of taxiway X-Ray was annoying, so I deleted it and created an alternative route. It works fine.2. SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL -- All three runways are now active. Runway 29 is used by planes that are designated "P" or "pracref".3. BREMERTON NATIONAL -- Taxiway signs have been added here (and at all other tower controlled airports in the Seattle region (including McChord Air Force Base).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just a quick note to say that runway 29 has been deactivated at San Jose International. It was preventing runway 30L being used, which resulted in NO AIRLINERS AT THIS AIRPORT. That is obviously unacceptable :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

but those can be fixed with this line added to your flt3.cfg file,sign_scale 0.2try it, it works!!:-wavePete

Pete,What can be fixed ? That modification presumably changes the size of the signs....but I didn't mention anything about that :-hmmm Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

Hi Chris, nothing wrong with your taxiway signs placement, its just that imho the displayed in-game sizes are a little , er, generous, that line in anyones flt3.cfg will make them appear smaller.:-wavePete

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm surprised you're still using the big taxiway signs too Chris. Where have you been? :-)More seriously, does this mean you are not aware of the night enhancements to the taxisigns as well? If you are not using the correct night versions (developed by John Wilding and Tomi Lehto), you are missing an important enhancement of the original sim. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=9743Bye the way, Pete, I seem to remember you did one of the original packages for FU3, Darrington Mun. Did you make any other packages?And for that link the other day, at last I understand why Porges Haven has that peculiar name. Well done. That was great reading.RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

In the hope of seriously embarassing Pete, here's the list (following up on Allan's idea of lokking not guessing):'Aero Show' 30-Jun-2001'Dead Reckoning' 03-Aug-2001'Hot Shots' 16-Jun-2001'Soar like an Albatross' 27-May-20012 real 'bush airstrips' 25-Sep-20012pack 03-Aug-2001Assorted Fled Packages 31-Oct-2001Beechjet Upgrade 07-Jan-2001Big Andy 13-Jul-2001Black and White Renegade 10-Feb-2001 Martyn Collis Cabin views for the FU3 Boeing 747-400 01-Dec-2001Darrington Municipal Airport 01-Dec-2001Fall City Airport 16-Jul-2001Grumman Goose Upgrade 14-Mar-2001Hewitt Municipal 15-Jan-2002Kimbrel Farm 18-Sep-2001Lake Renegade Repaint 22-Dec-2000Lester State 15S 11-Feb-2002Milk Run 03-Jun-2001Nelson's Corner and Rorke's Drift 20-Sep-2001Rakes Glen Field 14-Jul-2001Repaint Your Flight Unlimited 3 Aircraft17-Dec-2000Santa Catalina Island 31-Oct-2001Seattle Airstrips 24-Aug-2001Seattle Area airports 07-Aug-2001Taylor and Elbow Lake Airpark 01-Sep-2001Two Weather Files 12-May-2001U.S Coast Guard Lake Renegade 05-Dec-2000Van de Plasch 20-Sep-2001Wissler's and Cook's Landing 29-Sep-2001Plus panels for Grumman Goose. Is Martyn a relative? Quite a bit of variety here too. Panels, packages, weathers, repaints etc. Congratulations! Now who do I embarass next? Allan, does the puppy have any suggestions? No I'm not searching for Chris or Jon - not enough space on my hard disk.RobD.;-)

Guest Motormouse

Motormouse<===== hiding behind a bush!!!Martyn is my son (!) thought he'd have a 'go' at painting a FU3 plane,sadly he's not following my simming (or real world interest in planes)preferring to cut a few tracks with music/sound editing software, and blasting the hell out of some unfortunate in 'Doom' or 'Quake III'I always beat him in 'IL2' and also 'Mig Alley', don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes :-lolAnyway, as Chris recently discovered you can also find all my FU3 repaints at Gideon's R&D page (link), some which have never been uploaded to Avsim :-)http://www.geocities.com/alive.geo/rvgallery.html:-wavePete

Yes, that Jaguar colour scheme for the Beechjet is seriously cool :-cool Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Robert,You wouldn't find many separate packages of mine left in the FU3 file library. I always remove older stuff when I release updated packs. SanFran 2004 is still there, and probably both of my geotiles.tag files (split into three separate pieces).Hmmm.....I think that I will remove those geotiles.tag files right now. Anyone who wants the latest version only has to ask, and I will send it to them directly (probably split up, since they are around 20Mb, even when zipped).The advantage of having my Seattle geotiles.tag file is that I would be able to send you my latest versions of Coupeville NOLF and Pacemaker Landing Zone (a military airstrip just south of McChord AFB; my version isn't based on accurate real world data though. I have simply designed a small, tower controlled airport based on the limited amount of data that I have). The runway is 3500 feet long and 60 feet wide, so I used the Auburn Municipal runway model (they are both 16/34). The latest version of Coupeville NOLF is also tower controlled, with a new military parking area to the west, a taxiway designation system, taxiway signs, and modifications to the trees.The SanFran geotiles.tag file includes flattened terrain at Inglenook Ranch and Pope Valley (I have used the Bonny Doon Village airstrip model here).So, SanFran 2004 will very likely be the ONLY package that I have left in the file library. What a sad demise for a once great empire :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Robert,I don't mind the large taxiway signs. They are easy to read from a good distance :-)As for the night versions of taxiway signs, the main reason why I have overlooked these is that I have never attempted a night flight in FU3 ! Perhaps this will change when I learn how to fly IFR. As you are all well aware, I prefer making "low and slow" VFR flights, since the scenery looks so good ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Fair 'nough Chris. I agree about the taxis signs - its nice to be able to read them from a distance. But the scaling factor makes them more realistic to look at. Anyway, for the UK airports (UK is that little island just west and south of Norway) Andy has made custom signs that are very good, mainly for special areas such as ramps or warm-ups. Call him if you want more info.But you're missing something if you don't fly at night! Where's your sense of adventure? Lost in a fog, 3 in the morning, storm cells lurking and tanks half empty. Then things start to go bad. What do you do? (Ans: assuming your navaids are still working, 1) check attitude on hsi (if attitude bad take tranquiliser, four deep breaths and smile), 2) go to slow climb. If cliff appears in next few minutes, revise attitude to really really fast climb.3) triangulate position by two VOR's, or if not clear on procedure for triangulation, take large pin and stab into map (these methods are approx equally accurate)4) check local terrain height versus current height (if current height 8) find another airport.9) land (see pages 3-749).Its as simple as that.Taken without permission from current Flight Manual: operational procedures, Edn 12, Appendix A13(i)-(iv).