Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Diamond Point

Guest Allan_D

Chris.It would be really hard to add as many natural looking trees to this area with our FU3 fled. That other nasty game that you cuss at has the tree thing figured out, plus lots of other things.A shot of Diamond Point in that other crappy game :-lolhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/87927.jpgI see that you took my advice and bought the Prima's offical strategy guide, I'm glad your enjoying that, I've used that a lot in the past 5 years to make FU3 more fun for me.Have Fun :-vuurAllan and PuppyBush Flying Unlimitedhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Allan,I agree with you that Diamond Point in FU3 isn't the best example of this airfield in the flight simulation world. Lago's Georender package for FS looks amazing.I started adding trees on Protection Island yesterday, but I am not sure whether to bother or not. There will be a huge number if I ever finish the job, and it will be quite time consuming. I am busy at the moment just flying around the FU3 world in bad weather, and also playing Far Cry.I am looking forward to reading the section on IFR flights in the Official Strategy Guide. I really would like to be able to fly "blind", and still know what I am doing !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, the FS autogen trees are nice for creating a nice backdrop. You can't define exactly what goes where since the generic objects are just being spread out in a general area. We get coniferous and deciduous trees in a mix. However, that's the very reason why it's frame rate friendly.That's why I like Jon's composite tree models for FU III -- I believe that we get more trees for less frame rate impact. In any event, they're a lot faster to plant.As an experiment, I just made a tree package that adds trees around Diamond Point. Since it's a separate package it doesn't mess with the main package for the airport. I may use a single tree package for the entire Seattle region and disable it "globally" if I want to.Screenshots:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88008.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88009.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88010.jpgHans Petter

Hans,Yes, that looks good...better than I would have expected with "groves" of trees ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

H-P,Nice one ;)Looks a lot like my Sequim area too (I tested my trees and forests there)! I actually tried foresting those large forested (!) areas completely and it didn't kill the framerate as much as I thought it would. Just one thing, I forgot to bring the runway with me this morning to upload, so its tomorrow (sorry).RobD, the airport info I posted is the REAL airport info. I'm not sure if the other NDBs exist but, if not, someone should add them and update the '

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes,I realise that you've posted the real data, really. But I rely on reels of Navaids from the unreal initial release of LGS.:( And they missed some NDB's I think. I don't use NDB's much now - I've flown the area so often that I intercept the traffic patterns at speed without thinking, much like I drive my Mazda.RobD.

Guest Allan_D

Hans Petter.Yes, That looks very good. I am not sure how much time you spent but I know placing single trees and buildings is fairly fast and easy.If I get FU3 working reasonable well again I'll have to try your way, adding the groups. Thanks.LaterHave Fun :-vuurAllan and PuppyBush Flying Unlimitedhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest effyouthree

Dear All,After lovingly crafting a new strip for 2WA1, complete with 5ft gravel shoulders and a few blades of grass here and there...It looked crap so I'm not uploading it :-(The problem is a 'shimmer' effect when passing overhead at approach altitude. I created another model with 2 polygons as a 'distant' model too, but the night lighting seemed to upset it. Once I added the lighting to the model, the low-res version never loaded. The full-res model shimmered with or without night lighting (these were actual lights, not a 'nitemip' as nitemips aren't compatible with lower-res models that have no mipfile!) Confused? I'll say... *:-*On this basis, what LGS already did is accurate and meets FAA specs (to 2008 anyway) so I think we should stick with it.Besides, who wants to have to delete strips when installing packages?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Yes, that is another error that I made when I released my 2004 packs. Of course, anyone who knows how to use FLED can remove models without any problem, but I suspect that not everyone likes having to use FLED ;-)When (if) I release 2005 versions of my packs, every airfield or scenery package that involves more than just copying a folder to another folder during the install process will NOT be included :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

H-P,What, for the 2WA1 strip? I'll check it out. It uses a number of mips, as most strips do. About 4 or 5 I think :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"