Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

FLED

I have just been thinking about the difficulties that I was faced with every time that I fired up FLED on my old PC. I know that this utility crashes every now and again. That is common knowledge. What I would like to know is.....has anyone else suffered from "freezing" problems when using it ? Did the mouse suddenly stop moving, forcing a complete system reboot ? I am not sure if I have ever had a straight answer regarding this question. You see, I am not really certain if anyone knows how incredibly difficult it was for me to use FLED on my old PC. In fact, I am sometimes stunned by just how much work I managed to get done.I was frequently faced with system freezes after only a few seconds work. Every one of these required me to reboot the PC. I had to wait for the OS to load, and then I had to load FLED. This happened dozens of times in a SINGLE WORK SESSION. I remember one occasion when I was trying to remove a few taxiway lines and nodes. FLED froze on me no less than seven times in succession without me having deleted a SINGLE NODE ! :-eekI often felt like throwing the PC through the lounge window. It was that bad. The only reason that I carried on was because I am a bit of a perfectionist. Once I had decided that certain things needed improving in FU3, I couldn't settle until these had been done.I can honestly say that FLED froze on me THOUSANDS of times during the three years that I used it to create stuff on my old PC. To put this in perspective, FLED hasn't frozen on me even once on my new PC. I get the odd crash to desktop problem, but like I said, this is normal with FLED. I just need to remember to save my work frequently.For example, if I am upgrading an airport, I will make a few changes, and then save. I then exit FLED, and make a copy of the airport folder that corresponds to the airport that I am modifying (let's say TCM for argument; this is McChord AFB). I save the copy as TCM "A". I keep doing this, and saving accordingly (TCM "B", "C"...etc). This stops me from losing everything if there is a problem with the modified airport after FLED has crashed.Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest. To this day, I am baffled by how many modifications and add-ons I have created for FU3. Working with FLED on my old PC was almost impossible at times, and yet I still got the job done. I am quite proud of that, since you couldn't exactly call me the most dedicated worker in the world ;-)On my new PC, using FLED is about as difficult as reading the newspaper :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Cris,I don't have any problems with using FLED, although I'm not in creating new models and other stuff like you ( at least not yet ). Maybe FLED has problem (for some reason) when you place too much of your new stuff. I don't have any problems with placing nodes or models or when I edit airports. I supose that everyone has somekind of problem that has no logical sense (like me with airports).Dubravko

Dubravko,I don't have a problem with my new PC. For some unfathomable reason (which I will probably never solve), my old PC just didn't like working with FLED.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I never found FLED to be that buggy either. However, I do remember browsing the web with an older version of Internet Explorer and that one would freeze, hang and crash :-)Also, it might be a good idea to look to the world of FS. How do scenery creators place models? There's no WYSIWYG interface available.With FLED anyone can modify their flight sim world -- in FU III that is :-)Hans Petter

Hans,I always used to think that FLED was one of the worst pieces of software ever developed....until I tried using it on my work PC :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Chris.I've never had a big time problem using fled. It is a lot easier to use then the programs to add scenery to FS.In fact with all the packages that I built for FU3, I have never had a serious problem with fled.I started playing with fled because of Kim Wermer, "AKA" Frank Betts.Frank has been here with his better half playing flight games in my office. He showed me some of his scenery building tricks and I showed him how to land on the Dome :-lolI always remember the advice from Capt. Bazza's site, Work with fled for a max of 15 minutes, then save your work. If your fled crashes quicker then that then shut off your 3D card before using Fled. I never had to do that because I've always had a Voodo card for FU3. A V3 at first then A V5. FU3 was built on the Voodo card concept.I'm seeing that difference big time now with my new computer. FU3 will not load on my XP side of my puter, but it installs on the 98SE side. My new card ATI all-in-wonder 9800 pro card makes FU3 look like crap :-lolI still have fun with FU3 and Fled on my old computer when my better half isn't using it.Have Fun :-vuurAllan and PuppyBush Flying Unlimitedhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Allan,That's strange. FU3 installs and works perfectly under Windows XP on my new PC. I also have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, and the visuals are fine, although I suspect that they were even better with my old GeForce 3 :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png