Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

What's the best DC-3 for FS2002 (freeware)?

I'd like a filename too please :)

Guest Heather 636

It's really hard to beat Jan Visser's R4D.I fly a DC-3 with virtual airlines DC Airways, utilizing the N1776 DCA aircraft.You can check out their site and downloads at http://www.dc3airways.comor download many of their files right here at AVSIM.She was designed for FS2000 but is just as beautiful with FS2002 Pro which I use.Just go to AVSIM's file library and under the "Extended Search" feature, enter in the "Author" window, the name of Jan Visser.I think you'll be pleased with what you find.Good hunting!Cheers!Heather

Thanks I found it :)Now I need A good f-18 hornet hehe

Ya know, I wanted to do this and got really confused on that site.Now, I'm an old man, but a college grad who programs for a living so I'm reasonably educated and normally not confused about web sites. But this one seems to be a study in miscommunication. Yes, it does indeed seem to offer *something* for $5, but that something looks to be an "upgrade" for FS2002 for those who own (bought) the FS2000 model. It talks about serial numbers, registration keys, etc (all a lot of overhead if they truly only want a $5 donation, I might add).Nowhere do I see a simple offer like: "If you want a FS2002 DC-3, pay us $5 and get it *here*." Indeed, following links to the place to buy the model, it actually looks like they want $30 (more than I'll ever pay for a plane, unless I just can't stand it and break down and buy the Clipper).If you have enlightenment for me I'd appreciate it.

Guest joea

You don't need to pay again that is only for those who never bought the original. I bought the Cd for fs2000 and simply had to answer some questions and provide the serial number and got my fs2002 upgrade free.

I agree on the site.... it's really a site for a museum and the FS part is added later as an afterthought.However, if you order the CD from the site you do get a complete FS2002 aircaft, many pictures of the original R4D and other pictures as well, plus electronic copies of the original manuals. And all that for $ 5 that helps pay for a new engine.The security and all other administration is there because Roy Chaffin (the gauges programmer) is really annoyed by people ripping off their work and denying the museum even those $ 5. It might seem a bit over the top, and it IS a bit complicated, but in the end it works out very well.And it certainly is THE BEST DC-3 availbale for ANY flightsim, believe you me.Now, if you wait just a little longer with ordering it, you will get the NEW MODEL by Jan Visser which includes the most fabulous virtual cockpit made for any FS2002 aircraft so far !! It will be included on the CD's that are going to be sold this weekend and onward.Am I biased!!?? Sure I am ! I love DC-3's, I know Jan Visser and I have used all their models since the first was released ! Yep, I am biased !But hey, I'm right about this too !! ;-) :-jumpy :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Actually, the way I did it was to go to www.fsplanet.com /best of the best/ and found the upgraded pit version 4.75 (if I remember right) downloaded it (about 20mgs); then located the aircraft (the silver one) downloaded it. Installed the aircraft first and then the upgraded pit second (both had autoinstallers that work); read the readme file in the upgrade which directed me directly to the site for providing my credit card info; gave them $5 per the card and waited about 24 hours for them to email me the keycode (all of which is explained in the readme); entered the keycode where stated and I was done and had a wonderful package. Give the museum the $5 bucks so they can restore that old crate. Money well spent, I say. Great airplane and I get to use the panel in any prop job that I want just by aliasing. I've actually modified the pit with gauges from the old freeware version and put it in the YS11 and Convair and with the views, I love it. Here's a pic:http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/YS11_Pit.jpg

>Actually, the way I did it was to go to www.fsplanet.com >/best of the best/ and found the upgraded pit version 4.75 >(if I remember right) downloaded it ... then >located the aircraft ...>Installed the aircraft first ... and then the upgraded pit >second (both had autoinstallers that work (snip) >gave them $5 per the card >and waited about 24 hours for them to email me the keycode >(all of which is explained in the readme); entered the >keycode where stated and I was done ...Oh, *that's* all then (LOL). I have *no* idea why I thought it would be complicated .And, just to make this point clear, the previous poster once again mentions you just have to pay $5 -- yet you *cannot* buy the CD for $5 (unless you've already bought the CD previous, for more $$).So let's stop this talk about this plane being only $5 -- well, I guess it is if you want to jump through a million hoops like you did above (and given you aren't sure of the file names, I can't even follow *those* instructions), but the real bottom line is they want $30 for it.I'll think I'll stick with the freeware version.

Actually, it probably costs more for the CD. If you have the patience, just download it. I did it later one evening on a dialup and it took about 2 hours for that 20mg file. Now, I got a cable modem (YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and that size file only takes 8 minutes. (CCCOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!) Hardly time to get a cup of coffee and go to the bathroom. HEHEHHE. Anyway, it's a great addon, the authors get no money, it all goes to the museum for a real DC3 rebuild and they're working on a new plane and pit with a VC that'll be out soon and free for us contributers from what I understand. See the screen shot section to read up on it.

I agree with the poster who complained about the difficulty involved in understanding how to get hold of this DC3. I have had a look at the websites involved a few times and it is beyond me!!!!Would anybody be willing to provide us with a step-by-step procedure to download a freeware version of the Visser aircraft and panel/sounds which we can follow. I am not a cheapskate and I only say the freeware version because the difficulty of getting 5 lousy bucks to the US is even greater than understanding how to download the freeware version.Barry

Guest Heather 636

If its the "freeware" versions you're after, go right here to AVSIM's file library and in "Extended Search" enter under author name:Jan VisserYou'll find all kinds of downloads for the DC-3It's for FS2000 but looks just fine on 2002; it's the one that I cirrently use in my flying for DC Airways virtual airline.You can also go to the download section at:http://www.dc3airways.com/entry.htmlGood hunting!Cheers!Heather