Sign in to follow this  
dubravko

Question about landing at BFI and PAE

Hi guys and ladies (if any),Here is the situation: I fly VFR and when I try to land at Boeing field or Paine field I'm being instructed by tower to land at shorter runway every time. In this case that is runway 13L/31R at BFI and runway 16L/34R at PAE.When I fly smaller aircrafts landing is no problem but when I fly Beechjet (landing speed Vref=117 knots and runway should be at least 3154 ft long according to data I've downloaded from official Raytheon web site) it's kind a hard to stop on short runways especially at PAE. I have to burn my rubber a lot to stop before overrunning the runway. Here is the question: How come airplanes such as Citations, Learjets, Starships are instructed to land at longer runway and me with a Beechjet to shorter one? Is there any way I can fix this problem at BFI and PAE? I know I can delete short runways and then all planes use the longer one or fly IFR by asking approach for ILS procedure to this two airports but I don't want to do that. I want small airplanes use short runways and the others (including me flying Beechjet) longer one. I don't have to mention that landing in lower visibility conditions with rain is even harder to execute.

Firstly, thank God for this post. I thought that everyone had left the planet !Right, now to your questions.There is a way (I think) to get your Beechjet to land on the large runways at Boeing Field and Paine Field, but it would mean that only aircraft practising touch-and-go's would end up using the smaller runway. That's because there are three types of AI plane that can be defined when using FLED (practice, direct, and transport). PRACTICE is pretty obvious. Any planes that are designated "P" or "pracref" in FLED are of this type. TRANSPORT planes are the big jets. The DIRECT bunch are those smaller planes that are not designated as PRACTICE. That includes the biz jets, Windhawk, Mooney, Arrow....blah blah blah.So, you would have to edit your airport using FLED, and then EXCLUDE the DIRECT planes from the smaller runway (and make sure that they are NOT excluded from the large runway). Now, this applies to the AI planes, so I am assuming that it would apply to your plane also. I am not absolutely sure though.One more point. You should be directed to the large runways at these airports for your take-off. Is this correct ?Chris Low.PS. Presumably, you are not using my updated version of Boeing Field, otherwise you would ONLY be able to land on the large runway ;-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Steffen

Hi there,about a year back I think Jokke came up with a way how to modify the plane's weight in FU3. That way the B747 became recognized as a "Heavy" without playing around with the callsign. One of the nice side-effects was that the B747 then also was assigned the long runways as it was truly a heavy! The onliest problem is: I have forgotten how that (flight physics?) trick worked! Anybody else still knows? This "trick" would also solve the problem with short runways being assigned.Blue Skies,Steffen

Thanks for reply guys...I'm using your airports Chris and they work really great. Till yesterday I was always instructed to land at longer runway at BFI but yesterday something changed and I don't know what. I edited Boeing field airport and added on shorter RWY that is deleted (I think) in package from you and everything worked great. As I wrote I was always directed to longer runway although there was shorter one availible Then something happened which changed this and from then on I was always directed to land on shorter runway. Also I read in FU3 white papers that there are four types of aircrafts and not three in FLTDNSTY.dat:type 0 --> practicetype 1 --> direct (player not included)type 2 --> transport (player also not included)type 3 --> playerIt seems that FU3 has special treatment for player.Also I've read in FU3 white papers that if you edit runway flags in FBO.cfg and FBO.cfs to:fbo_runway_31L_flags 15 (for example)all airplanes (including player) will be able to use runway 31L but this seems not work. The 15 is the key number here according to FU3 white papers for Add-on developers which I downloaded from the Internet.It is correct that I'm being directed to longer RWYs for takeoff.I think that it's not possible to solve this problem through FLED.I'll try to solve this problem and I'll post my result on forum.Regards, Dubravko

Hi again...Steffen mentioned airplanes physics...I've downloaded newest AIplanes physics viewer from AVSIM library today. Strange thing is that player has some really stupid and small numbers placed in physics which are almost same or maybe even same as Cessnas physics.Anyway I edited this and put real Beechjet numbers but nothing happened.I'll try to put Boeing 747 numbers in Player's physics and I'll see what will happen....I'll keep you posted...Best wishes...

Dubravko,If you are using my latest version of BFI, then you should NEVER be instructed to land on the short runway. I have basically closed this down, because it was so close to the main runway that airliners were stopping on the small runway whilst contacting ground control :-eek This was clearly ridiculous, so I removed most of the small planes here, and concentrated on the large runway.When you say "until recently", does that mean that you have recently been asked to use the small runway here ? If so, then you must have been messing around in FLED. Just replace your installed copy of BFI with the one in the Seattle 2005 pack, and everything should be OK.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello again,I've just tried to fix problem by editing Players physics in AImodel.dat but it didn't help. I've updated Players physics with Boeing 747 physics and nothing happened, not even the callsing as Steffan said.Also I tried to fix this problem through FLED by excluding all airplanes from landing at short RWYs but this also didn't help.Also it is interesting that when I started quick flight (if that is the correct name since I hawe German version of FU3) and choose landing at BFI I was directed to 13L/31R and when I did real flight from one airport to another I was directed to 13R/31L for landing without asking for ILS procedure. Very interesting and strange thing.Any answers...Regards, Dubravko

You have to choose IFR flight to land at longer runway. Beechjet isn't heavy for landing on long runway.B.Adamski

Guest R_Driscoll

Good to hear from you Bogdan! I didn't realise IFR flights were given special treatment for runways! I think I'll have to fly IFR more often.RobD.

I was on my holiday lately.I don't remember but someone probably wrote about it long time ago here.B.Adamski