Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Test flight DH8

Guest R_Driscoll

Here it is.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89927.jpgHad to battle for clearance for this flight. Unlicenced test flights are no longer popular at this airport since a controller lost a cup of coffee down his front after being buzzed by some skylark. Anyway, here we are up and away ...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89928.jpgSorry about this shot - just checking that I'd parked the car where I thought I had. I hadn't. Darn. Maybe over here ... no ...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89929.jpgNo worries. Time to settle back and enjoy this new beast. It flies with the typical twitchy wobbles of all of these old slow machines in FU3 - hard to adjust trim to smooth flight, but its got a high dihedral and good horizontal stability. Would be a good platform for an observation plane, you know, for taking pictures of enemy emplacements or trench lines, say. Best way to get yaw stability was to trim down, pick up a bit of speed, then it becomes quite stable. The old-time instruments are brilliant and create a good feel. But I am not sure if the petrol tanks are correct - I must try a longer flight and check for drift to the left. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89930.jpgSince they let me fly, the least I could do was a couple of friendly zings past the control tower ...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/89931.jpgCannot complete report. Have fallen in love with this machine, bye.(if you find a rusty Mazda in one of the carparks feel free to tow it away.)RobD.

Guest Stearman

Hi Rob... nice pics... would you please let me know what's the date of your TMoth.res file?I don't have FU3 currently installed (still fighting some problems since my moving to XP), and I'd say it doesn't look exactly like the version I have.Thanks in advance,

Guest R_Driscoll

This was a test version sent me by QvdG. But I can't find anything to test - it flies like a dream so I think it will be released very soon - that's up to Quentin. Anyway, if there's anything wrong with it its beyond my sim experience.RobD.

Guest VFR_Steve

Great shots! :-eekSuch a great sim, it'#s funny really I've probably bought well over

That's why I stopped buying MSFS. It was just too expensive to upgrade it to a level that was acceptable to me....and that was only the graphics !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest VFR_Steve

It's such a shame because FS2004 has so many other good qualities :(.. But at the end of the day what is the point of doing a checklist if you know the aircraft is going to be 100% reliable, and what's the point in checking the weather (offline) when even on 'extreme' changes nothing happens apart from pretty cloud variations.. And even when you get online updates, you know in the back of your mind the weather will never really get serious enough to become an issue, FS2004's weather just isn't capable of the kind of weather that scares you (regardless of sitting in front of a computer screen because you forget this when flying in FU3).. and of course those little atmospheric changes when piloting a small GA aircraft you become to realise what flying is actually all about!Can only be Flight Unlimited 3 ;)(hmm should I stop using FS9 altogether now)? ... :-roll

I would love to think that FS2006 included all of those little features that make FU3 my personal choice. That's because there are times when I wish that FU3 had more than 256 colours, far more detailed planes and airports, and a rendition of the UK comparable to that provided by the UK VFR Photographic Scenery, VFR Terrain, and Gary Summons' UK2000 airports :-)I get these moments (like last night) when I wonder why I bother with FU3 anymore.....and that scares me. If I am getting bored of my favourite flight simulator, then am I getting bored of flight simulation itself ? Even if I did decide to "go MSFS", it would cost me a fortune to upgrade it to a level that I am happy with, and I am not prepared to do that.Maybe if I win the lottery........Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest VFR_Steve

It's thanks to the community (yourself included) that's kept the longevity of FU3, and I think it's wonderful how I can fly over the UK BUT in FU3's wonderful atmosphere, obviously I do miss the ATC/AI rich environment of FS2004 sometimes but for now I like to try and get the best of both worlds until the definitive PC sim gets released

Guest qvdg

Thanks for posting the screenies of the DH82 (1935 WWII trainer) Rob and I am glad you enjoy it. You said it flies perfectly in fact it flies precisely like a Cub 90hp. I was hoping that Jon could help out on the flight model but from his last post it would appear that we will have to wait a little while. The cockpit is Glidernuts' old version he has reworked it but he has gone AWOL too - perhaps not for the same reason as Jon. Cheers, QvdG

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Quentin! You say it flies like a Cub, so I guess its flight dynamics IS the Cub, but now with Andre's new program it might be easier to change this. Anyway, that explains why I instantly liked it - I am very keen on the old Cub - a real pleasure to fly. And this is maybe even better, as it has better forward visibiility. Apart from that I wouldn't know too much about flight dynamics - sadly I did very little real plane flying during WW1, and not a great deal in WW2, something I've always regretted (main problem was lack of being born). Anyway, I like this new machine and hope you continue to develop it! RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

Whoops, another mistake. agtim's program is for AI planes, of course. Wrong editor.RobD.

Guest effyouthree

Folks,I'm having some fun with this thing! I have started making a checklist of changes (change ALL contact points, enlarge wings etc..) but haven't made any changes yet. The reason is, I don't get a useful flight model out of it :-( To get that, I must restore the aircraft's resfile name back to original, but what was it? The Fokker?This is modeller's tip #102 - restore original resfile name before extracting flight model.Have you done any crash models yet? For the 'missing one wing' models, you'd best tear off half the upper wing as well. Just be careful adding 'damage' to broken parts or, at the moment of breakup, you'll have more than 2000 polygons and you'll get a CTD with every crash :-( Really annoyed me with the Blanik.TBTW, that's modeller's tip # 1281 ;)Anyway, my weeknights are (almost) normal again, though my weekends may never be the same ;)It WAS the Fokker, wasn't it?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest qvdg

Hi Jon In fact the res file is based upon the Piper not the Fokker. I am looking forward (not):-) to your checklist, enlarged wings ? There are no crash models as I considered that such a highly trained and respectful group wouldn't dare put a scratch on the old girl.Have funCheers, QvdG

Guest qvdg

oops when I say Piper that is I mean the Piper Cub 90hpCheers, QvdG

Guest effyouthree

Quentin,Yes, but the Cub was based on something (Fokker??). To extract flight models, you must rename the resfile back to it's original (LGS) name. For example, to extract the Blanik flight model, change the name to 'stemme.res', to edit the DHC-6, change it to 'windhawk.res'.Actually, I've just looked into the resfiles and the Cub appears based on the Trainer! Amazing what you can do in 1 minute...Oh well, that explains why the Fokker resname didn't work. And I was about to extract the Fokker one and modify it :-eekSo, there you go. Your historical, beautiful canvas and wooden classic is actually based on a Cessna 172 :-lol Kinda reminds me of those '30s sports cars based on 60s VWs ;)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"