Sign in to follow this  
Guest alfozavr

Why do default airplanes has strange names?

Guest alfozavr

All these questions adress to only descriptions and names of the aircrafts, not to the models (i like how the planes are modelled :), but i don't like the errors in their descriptions :( 1) May be someone knows, why DHC-2 De Havilland Canada Turbo Beaver from FU2 was renamed to Yoosun Turbo Muskrat in FU3? I haven't found real Muskrat plane in internet. And the specifications of the "Muskrat" are the same as of the Beaver... May be "Muskrat" is the name of the specific Beaver, on which the FU3-team have flown? (i mean, may be that plane was called "Muskrat" and had an engine by Yoosun, or it was manufactured by Yoosun). Still in the specs. list the engine is written as Pratt&Whitney!2) Why Cessna Skyhawk 172 is called Trainer? Again, may be it's the one specific aircraft the FU3-team flew? The specifications seem to have en error and deviate from the aircraft history! (160hp or 150hp engine with 2,400 or 2,700 RPM) The right one should be 160hp 2,400RPM (as for Skyhawk 172R on skyhawk.cessna.com). So I don't understand, if there are errors in the description of the FU3 Trainer and if I can use the specifications of the Cessna Skyhawk 172R for FU3 Trainer 172?3) Why Windhawk? :) There, by the way, are certain errors in the specifications of the FU3 Winadhawk (glide and landing speed). Engines are 260hp in the description and 300hp in the specifications list (that appears when you select an aircraft). May be the specifications of a real Baron 58 will suit?4) PA28R-200 specifications in Fu3 not accurate, seems it's better to use the specs. of a real Arrow. (13,500ft is the real crusing altitude, in Fu3 it is 14,200ft)5) In Fu3 in the description of P-51D the engine is Packard Merlin, but in specs. it is Rolce Royce Merlin and in real life it is also RR Merlin?!May be someone knows e-mails of ex-looking glass developers of FU3?(i'll then can adress these questions to them.)Thank you.

Guest Motormouse

As a long time user, I think I can safely answer this one :-)The answer is;Because Looking Glass could not get a copyright licence to use the real names.And this will answer your question about the Merlin enginehttp://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/engines/eng33.htmhttp://www.bcam.net/engines/merlin.htmit was/is a Rolls-Royce Merlin, built or assembled in the USAby Packard. The P51 Mustang evolved from the original Mustang 1, designed and built to satisfy a British government contract specification...after Curtis asked North American to build P-40's for the same contract; North American thought they could do it better.http://www.airshots.com/mustang/mustang.htm:-wavePete

Guest alfozavr

Thank you very much, Pete, especially for the links! :)But I don't think LG couldn't get the licence for, for example, Beech Baron, because they managed to get it for Beechjet! :]I'm going to use the info about P-51D in a short article about the 5 original planes, that were taken from FU2. Yout name certainly will also be there ;) Once more thanks!

You're writing an article ? Is this for a particular magazine ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest alfozavr

No no, i don't think any pc-game magazine will be interested in FU3 today :[ I have a FU3-dedicated site in Russian and seems it's the only one exsisting in Russian :) The article is for it. But i'm going to place an english version of it here at AVSIM file library also!I want to write about the 5 original aircrafts, that came from FU2, other 5 default FU3 airplanes are already very well documented :) by LG and as i think there's nothing to add there - their work is great!I've just finished the description of 51D, but there are still 4 airplanes to write about.As I wrote in my questions, I'm not satisfied with the description of the 5 original aircraft, as it deviates from the real ones, sometimes from the description given in FU2! But I find the panels of this planes and their paintjobs very very appealing - I have a nice feeling flying them, even though I know that the panels are not very close to the real ones (they still contain all the most important instruments).I also want to share an idea:Why not "repair" a little these original 5 aircrafts by adding transparent cabin glass and missing 45

Guest Motormouse

>Thank you very much, Pete, especially for the links! :)>>But I don't think LG couldn't get the licence for, for>example, Beech Baron, because they managed to get it for>Beechjet! :]Its' because they had to pay for a licence for the Beechjet, to make it the 'featured plane' of FUIII, and the Beechjet and Baron were products of 2 separate divisions within the Beech-Raytheon company.The Beechjet wasn't originally a 'Beech' product, it came along whenthe design and build rights were bought by Beech-Raytheon,can't remember right now whom the original design was by, but here's another few links.:-wavePeteps Found it!! It was originally the Mitsubishi Diamond 2http://www.omnijet.com/database/beechjet/http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/beechcraft...y.shtml#Premierhttp://www.worldbeechcraft.com/http://www.calle.com/aviation/baron.html

Pavel,Actually, I haven't developed any planes for FU3. Scenery packages and airport upgrades are more my line of work ;-)With respect to PC games magazines, I have had two articles published in PC Pilot magazine within the last two years. This is a UK printed flight simulation magazine that has international distribution. My first article (about Flight Unlimited 2) was included in Issue 18, around August 2002. The other was published in Issue 25 (October 2003), and concentrated on FU3 freeware.www.pcpilot.netChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest alfozavr

Thanks again! How do you know so much about the histories of the airplanes?! I'm impressed :)

Guest alfozavr

Sorry :) Hope you didn't take offence :)P.S. I've never seen the PC Pilot Magazine in russian shops.

Guest Motormouse

Well I suppose its' because in the 'real world' I'm an aircraft engineer :-)Oh and 'Google' helps too of course :-lol:-wavePete

And unless someone has mentioned this already, there's a brand new Beech Baron by Ansgar. I think it's safe to say that we hardly fly the original FU3 Windhawk any longer :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest alfozavr

Hi to everyone again, thanks for you help and interest in my question :)I've finished the 5 descriptions. I don't upload them to the file library now because may be i'll add something later.Still here they are - try the attached .zip-file.I also discovered (may be everyone already knows about it, but...) that many of the default Outer Terrain airports by LG have working ILS frequencies. And San Diego and Los Angeles airports are incredibly detailed for the Outer Terrain, so is the surrounding territory! So in the attached .zip-file there is also a list of all OT airports and ILS frequencies and VORs and NDBs. There is also some text in russian, but it's not important. All important info is in english.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90518.zip

Guest alfozavr

I saw it in the file library, certainly, but there is one bad thing about the file library: there are often several versions of the same file available, so it's necessary to search through the whole LG directory prior to downloading it, in order to find the latest version and i saw there Beech Barons and Skyhawks by different authors, i don't know which to choose. I unfortunately has an expensive internet connection (using my mobile phone - yes yes it's russia ;) and that's why i can not afford to download all versions and try them.