Sign in to follow this  
Guest Seadog

Success! CH Flight Sim Yoke USB & Pro Pedals USB

Guest R_Driscoll

Sorry about the cryptic shorthand. Here's some explanations!1. UKS does stand for United Kingdom South. Its an abbreviation based on Agtim and Quaxo's work in developing this new scenery area.2. I was not involved in developing the new region at all (except to provide models, then later scenery packages), and I can't provide the region data. You would need to contact one of the original authors for that. What I do is very simple: based on photos I make models of buildings in UK. My technique is the worst possible. I directly edit text files containing 3D points. I use no 3D modelling packages, and I use an old graphics program called Photostyler for making the textures. It takes a day for a simple model, about a week to make complex models such as Charing Cross Station or Buckingham Palace. So they are hand-made models! (sort of). For comparison, making traffic AI, the ILS, the taxipaths, lighting etc can be done in a few hours (but generally Roland has done this for me), and placing the models in the scenery takes just minutes. So designing and building the models takes 90% of my available time for this sim. 3. Recently there have been attempts to increase the number of base airports, the pilot communications (ATC) and the area coverage. This was all done too quickly, and at the moment the UKS region is not functioning properly with agtim's and Quaxo's versions (although my own copy runs perfectly well). I can't help with this - I know the scenery packages are not the problem, and that's all I could really help with. I have tried 3 times to get a copy of my version across to the original authors, but without success. The reason is that the UKS package is massive (about 9 CD's at last).4. For those who got the original disks and installed UKS, my packages should work fine (provided the installation instructions are followed correctly!).5. When I say 'my packages', I mean agtim's, Andy's, Hans Petter's, Rob's, mine, Dave's and glidernut's packages of course. Many people have contributed to this new region.Email me if you want to know how to proceed to get UKS on your computer, and I'll put you in touch with the right people. But I can't supply the region myself! I hope this removes some of the mystique from the process!Thanks for calling me an expert. Just for that if you want any particular thing made into an FU3 model, just ask.(and I'll get Jon to make it for you).RobD.

Guest Seadog

Rob,Thanks for the lucid explanation of the scope of the project and the place in it filled by your work. I'll put your kind offer of (Jon's) making a model for me in the bank, for when I can use it properly.:-) I see the size of this project and am taken aback by the work that has gone into it by all you name. My reaction is that I should first learn how to use well what I have before asking others to go the effort of providing me with such a large amount of data from so far away. Thanks for offering to put me in touch with them, but I'll be a much more appreciative user at some point in the future.-Seadog