Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

Graphic problem under Windows XP...

Guest Stearman

Hi, I've finally installed FU3 under Windows XP, and unfortunately it shows an unexpected graphic problem: when I move the cursor across the panel (to access switches, etc.) it leaves a trail of marks along the moving path.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/90981.jpgThose marks disappear as soon as I refresh the screen (switching views, etc.), but they are annoying anyway. Interestingly enough, the marks DON'T appear on the panel areas overlapping the outside 3D view.I'm using a Geforce4 Ti 4800SE with Nvidia drivers v61.77 under Windows XP Pro SP1, which gives superb performance and no problems at all with other sims such as FS2004 or GPL.Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance, best regards.

Guest effyouthree

Stearman,I had this problem for a while when working on the Dash-8. In my case (GE4 440MX), it was because I'd played with the DirectX compatibility settings (my driver allowed separate compatibility settings for DX7 and 8!!) to try to maximise framerates. "DTX1 textures" I think? After restoring defaults, I never saw it again (and now use a different card anyway).BTW, sometimes, I'd get more instrument needle sets repeating up the screen, whenever I moved any control. THAT was weird. Again, restoring defaults fixed it.So, try that. Or actually, just try anything! I have noticed some weirdness with DX9 when running older games. Task switch out of MM2 and on return, the landscape map gets replaced with the rider's clothing map and the landscape becomes a huge set of undulating Fox logos :-eek Never did that with DX8 (it was written for DX8). In NFS3, the crash polygons are always black instead of the car colour. It certainly doesn't appear to be 100% compatible with DX7 at least :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,The best advice that I can give regarding NFS3 is to UNINSTALL IT :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest musikai

I can remember having had this trail (and sometimes a blurring and floating of the panels) problem too.It was related to Antialiasing settings if I'm not wrong. Check if you have turned AA to 4x or higher. Also the system perfomance settings (all in the graphic card setting) shouldn't be set to high performance. At leat on my computer.bye Kai

Guest Seadog

Hello, StearmanOnly two things I can think of could cause this graphical over-writing, the mouse driver and the video driver.I use MS Intellimouse optical that has a "Mouse Trails" feature which I do not use. I just checked it, and it doesn't look anything like what you show. Nevertheless, a review of your mouse driver may be in order.You have the most current nVidia video card driver. I've read in other newsgroups that some find the best driver for the DirectX 8 series of nVidia cards, which yours is, is actually the older ver. 45.23, which you can download here:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23.htmlYou may wish to uninstall your current driver and give that one a try. The newer nVidia drivers, while backward compatible, are better optimized for the newest nVidia gpu's, sometimes causing minor problems with older cards. For anyone else looking for older drivers, they are hard to find. You have to go to nVidia's support section, select FAQ's, then click on the question about older drivers. Only then can you get into their archive section. Hope these thoughts help.-Seadog

Guest Stearman

Hi... yes, reducing anti-aliasing down to x2 (instead of my usual 4xS) did the trick.I was sort of reluctant to reducing anti-aliasing, because my old and beloved Voodoo5 5500 produced images of noticeably worse quality at 2x, but that's not the case with the newer Nvidia cards and drivers, as I can see (with FU3 anyway).Anyway I find somehow surprising that FU3 suffers from this problem (cursor leaving trail), whereas an older sim such as GPL doesn't.Thanks all for your advice, best regards.