Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Some pics and stories about my 747 adventure...

Guest Motormouse

Perhaps... but I specifically remember asking you how one getsin there without having to step on the consol or otherwisemaking a fool of ones self. :-mad (;))Even experienced chappies sometimes trip over the console on the way in/out (me) :-lolGets really embarrasing if you've tripped the fire extinguisher switches at the same time , as I did once in a real Jetstream 41...ho-hum:-wavePete

Guest effyouthree

Tom,Glad you enjoyed it (a lot...) ;)Again, my apologies for not being able to make it (sob, sob...) but think of all that extra time you folks had :-rollSounds like you made the most of it too! You see what I mean about commercial sims being 'visually wooden'? As you say, it's what happens above 10kft that they're mostly interested in. Having flown a few, I understand how you felt about the platform - it's a new world, hey? Who cares about the graphics on final (see my comments on this elswhere) when you can FEEL the plane behind you?As to comments on military sims, the current state of the art is still more like MSFS2004. Yes, there is 1 metre scenery (in a few places, like mainland USA...) and the modelling is fairly good but ground texture accuracy isn't important for mission sims because most scenarios used are purely theoretical. Apart from the obvious bad taste in bombing your local Burger King (bad taste? eeeoww...), it is unlikely that military pilots will suddenly have access to 1 metre ground textures where they need to go ;)Interestingly, the SGI sim environment I used in the mid-90's (for military sims) was kinda like FU3 with FS98 ground textures :-erks The models were great but the landscapes were pretty average. 16m/pixel was considered adequate then :-rollAnd, as you noticed, ground textures matter little when trying too get your 80 ton aircraft safely on the ground with 1000' visibility during a thunderstorm :-eekIt's all fun, just wish I coulda been there :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest twsimfan

Jon,It was more fun than I can explain. Too bad you weren't able to make it. Rhonda would have been very happy to step aside... don't think she was real thrilled about the idea. But having said that I think she had tons of fun with it once she got in there.Maybe next time! :)