Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Beacons

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial for adding beacons in FU3 ? I want to be able to add an ILS approach, plus all of the necessary beacons at Hamilton AFB, but I do not know how to do this. I don't want to just start adding beacons here, there and everywhere when I have no real understanding of what is involved :-)Perhaps someone on this forum could advise me ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

As a starting point, the FLED help system is brief but well written. Also I think the FU2 manual has some details on beacons etc. Its not too hard to add ILS beacons (can't be because I've managed to do it!), so once you are clear on the difference between glideslope and localiser array, it ain't too bad.I don't have the textbooks here so someone (Peter?) will fix up all the things I get wrong, but in brief:1) set ILS flag/frequency by doubleclicking the main airport square (blue square centred when you load the airport)2) set glideslope 'beacon' NEXT to the runway (opposite threshold), pointing correct way.3) set localiser ON threshold, turn it to point the correct direction, centred on runway centreline.4) set Inner Marker (IM) (distances for these are given in FLED help - from memory IM is at 2 nm, MM at 5 nm, OM at 9 nm) by following the line from your localiser and measuring distance. Repeat for Middle Marker (MM) (if used) and Outer Marker (OM).That's from memory and I may have some details wrong. Anyway, hope it helps.RobD.

Guest Motormouse

Yep,that just about got it 'nailed' Rob.Just one comment about the marker beacons.These are in the process of being discontinued with the advent ofgps (and jets with higher approach speeds). The 'white' beacons are being re-allocated as airway markers at some airway intersections, (and for Hamilton afb the outer marker would be in the 'oggin anyway :-lol), the inners have become largely redundant due to speeds of modern jets (any crew actions needed at the inner marker point then happen too close for comfort to r/w threshold) leaving just the middle marker of any use.:-wavePete

Guest R_Driscoll

And I got the distances wrong too - I checked and they're all closer than I said, so check FLED to get it right. For example the OM is 5 miles, not 9 miles. But I think many airports try to have a Navaid at about 10 miles out to help with aircraft stacking, localiser interception and airport approach. Anyway, the detail in FLED help is adequate - it tells you where to put things, and you can edit the beacons by double-clicking them, setting things such as frequency, position and radius. But the best way Chris is just to do it, maybe compare with another airport to see if it looks right. Its easy peasy lemon cheesy.I can't see a problem with having OM's in the water. Does SFO have an OM in the Bay?My question for the day!! Is it possible to change the glideslope angle? It seems to be hardwired to 3 deg for FU3, but some airports (especially London City Airport) need steeper angles (namely 6 deg). Oh well, maybe that will be an option in FU4 (dream a little dream). Try landing at 6 deg (match vertical speed to horizontal - at 100 nautical mph you are dropping about 1060 ft/min - which is spectacular! So it pays to approach slow.(calculation: tan 6 = 0.105, 1 nm = 6076 ft, 1 hour = 60 min)RobD.

Guest effyouthree

Rob,Lots of outer markers are in the water... So what? FU3 doesn't care (it seems). I've fished near one not far from your place (!?!) - they make great fish attractors ;)BTW, 3 degrees IS fairly standard, hence the constant 3 degrees in FU3. Touchdown at ~1000fpm (= 16.7ft/s = 5.1m/s = crunch) and you'll be causing lotsa damage, not only to the aircraft! How's your neck? Regardless of descent rate, TRY to keep final touchdown rate at ;)I suppose what we need is 2 different slopes, one for ILS airports (3 degrees) and one for all others (5-6 degrees). I mean, you and I can pull out and flare - who cares if the AIs plough their gear on every landing? It might make them climb out of our way better too :-lolAs to markers becoming obsolete due to GPS, I believe that this is an operational thing. International pilots I know use GPS all the time but still refer to 'standard' navigation aids as a matter of course. There are many reasons, not the least of which is GPS reliability. I mean, at the end of the day, someone in DC could push a button and the entire worlds' aircraft would be left in limbo. This is one of the many reasons why US DOD don't like the European system - because they cannot shut it down. I won't go into the politics here, but would you feel safer with traditional instruments or GPS, when you know that, at some politician's whim, your GPS accuracy may be reduced or the system may fail totally. Given the integrity with which the US DOD does things (ha....), I wouldn't be putting MY life on it ;)Besides, even the FAA are warning pilots against using GPS for pure navigation, as opposed to cross-checking where you think you are. Many accidents have occurred in the US because pilots have flown into hills or mountains at night as they'd neglected to READ THE MAP!And, a GPS doesn't warn you that the ground is approaching in bad weather, a time when many less experienced pilots may be tempted to rely on it solely. Nothing beats good instrument practise ;)That said, I'd still like one in every FU3 aircraft!:-wave Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

Fair enough, I guess we can't change the 3 deg GS. But London City Airport DOES use 6 deg, and will not permit aircraft to land that aren't rated at 6 deg. So as you said, you need to do things with flare. I agree that if you land at 1000 fpm you'll be making your mark on the world. But you only have to approach at 1000 fpm descent, so the problem is not the hard landing, its controlling speed in what is basically a shallow dive. And this gets us back to reverse pitch!RobD.

The Avro RJ series has used London City airport for ages....and they don't even have reverse thrust !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, but I bet its an interesting descent each time. Have you tried London City Airport yet? At 6 deg it's quite a ride in any plane! But at 3 deg you are fighting with bridge tops, buses and buildings. I think that this is what makes EGLC one of the most exciting airports in the world.RobD.