Sign in to follow this  
Guest Surge

Stuttering and weather/winds

Guest Surge

Hi guys, I have two questions.1. Why does FUIII stutter/shudder badly when I land?All the aircraft do it and it's not a frame rate issue.As soon as the main wheels touch down it stutters but when I drop the nosewheel and it touches the ground the stuttering goes away and I can taxi just fine.It's very annoying and I've ripped two wings off the Stemme (against trees) as a result. :(2. How the heck does the wind in FU III work?!No matter what direction I set the wind I cannot get any ridge lift off the North side of Mt Ranier. I can set the wind to point North, South, East or West and the lift off Ranier will always be on the South face.The windsocks on the ground point in the right direction but the lift at Ranier is always from the South. Weird!Also if I set the wind to blow from the South I get strong headwinds from the North at high altitude and as a result I cannot go anywhere even though the wind is blowing from behind at low altitude.I've spent 5 days trying to get the wind to co-operate.ThanksVery frustrated FUIII'er.

When you touch down, is the rudder in the neutral position? I don't see any shudder unless one of the mains touch before the other. Keep in mind that FU III has a proper ground handling "model". If you touch down while sliding sideways it won't be pretty. Steering on the ground is quite easy and realistic, provided you have rudder pedals. As for real GA planes, rudder input is what steers the aircraft of FU III on the ground. Thus, banking on the ground won't be too productive. In any event, try some straight and easy landings with no crosswind. Focus on lining up properly and avoid banking right before you touch.To sum it up, FU III will penalize you for bad landings. While other sims will accept landing with a sideslip our wheels roll in the proper direction only and there's no slip-sliding on the tarmac :-) I don't know about the wind but I'll give it a try tonight.Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hi Surge,Trying to get a weather file to giv me lift on a paticuler slope has driven me crazy meny timse in to past.Iv just tryed to do one fore you that givs lift on the North side of Mt Ranier butwith out sucses.I thort the problem was that Mt Ranier is almost off the FU3 weather screen andthat the screen was mutch to small to show all of the weather system.So for instans you might hav just off screen the other sied of the weather fruntwith winds going in the compleet oposit direction and at speeds that you hav nocontrol over bicous its off screen.And its not just the problem of having diferant wind speeds and directions biforand after the frount, its also that "fidl facter thing" where by the wind speeds and directionschange with altitued and seem to hav a random factor bilt into the system.Or perhaps Looking Glas Studiose just got it rong.And as you pointed out, the wind soks quight often dont mach the direction of wind.Most peopl hear love the way the FU3 weather system changes over time and from place to place, but I long for a simpler system where I can put an individual clouwd exactlywhere I want, and put slope lift to a particuler slope, and place as meny thermalsas clos to gether as I like.Sory I carnt be of any help.Tryal and errer, and suk it and see, is the only way to get the just wat you want.Or not get what you want, as in this cace.

Guest Surge

The stuttering is not a bad landing - I meant frame rate stuttering.As soon as my mains touch down my frame rate drops from 30 FPS down to 3 FPS and at that frame rate it's impossible to steer in a crosswind situation.As soon as the nosewheel touches down my frame rate goes back up to 30 FPS and it becomes smooth again.It's VERY annoying!

Guest glidernut

Surge,At first you sed it was NOT a frame rate problem, So I discounted this, but nouw yourdescription leevs me in no dout what it is.Yes, I know wat this problem is, Iv had my self sevarel times in the past, and severalothers hav had it to.Som peopepl hav asosiated it with force feedback stiks, and other force feedbackdivisea, but I hav heard of peopl with this problem that dont hav a force feedback stik.You need to defragment your PC.If you hav never defragmented your PC bifor then it could take longer to compleat than useual, perhaps an houwer or more.Defragmenting your PC will most litghly fixs the problem, but if it only partly fixsthe problem, then defragment agen, and agen.If you hav never defragmented your PC bifor then its time you did, every thing on yourPC will work that little bit faster.glidernut

Guest Surge

>At first you sed it was NOT a frame rate problem, So I>discounted this, but nouw your>description leevs me in no dout what it is.Sorry, what I meant is it can't be my video card causing the problem because I can fly around with high frame rates except when landing.>Yes, I know wat this problem is, Iv had my self sevarel times>in the past, and several>others hav had it to.>Som peopepl hav asosiated it with force feedback stiks, and>other force feedback>divisea, but I hav heard of peopl with this problem that dont>hav a force feedback stik.I have a force feedback stick. :->You need to defragment your PC.>If you hav never defragmented your PC bifor then it could take>longer to compleat than >useual, perhaps an houwer or more.That's odd - it's a clean install of Windows and FUIII.I run Linux but I loaded Windows on another harddisk just so that I can use FUIII.However I'll try a defrag and see what happens - at least now I know it's probably joystick related.If the defrag doesn't work then I'll unplug the joystick and remove the joystick drivers and see if that works.Paul

Guest R_Driscoll

Paul, can you just turn off force feedback somewhere to test the problem?

Guest glidernut

The problem hapens rigardles of wether the force feedback is turned off or on.Just useing a force feedback stik can cors the probem.Dont ask me why defragmenting can often work, cus I dont know, it just dus.glidernut.

Guest Surge

>Paul, can you just turn off force feedback somewhere to test>the problem?Yes! I managed to turn off the force feedback and the framerates on landing are as smooth as silk now!The only problem is that turning off force feedback required unplugging my joystick and using the keyboard to fly with. :(I cannot find anyway to make my joystick appear as a standard joystick so it looks like I'll just have to dump FUIII and use another simulator that allows me to land.PaulP.S. Defraging did not help at all.

Paul wrote: I cannot find anyway to make my joystick appear as a standard joystick so it looks like I'll just have to dump FUIII and use another simulator that allows me to land.Hey, there's another way -- a basic, durable joystick will cost you approx. $ 30 :-)Hans Petter

Sad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. Last Christmas Santa brought me a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick and I have had the stutter problem ever since. I have tried all sorts of settings - and VERY thorough defragging, all with no or very little effect. The best compromise I have come up with is to switch off force feedback in the Sidewinder setup (and leave the centering force at medium or high) and put the following in the flt3.cfg file;joystick force feedback settingsforcefeedback_xcentering 1.980582595forcefeedback_xmin 9.708738327e-002forcefeedback_ycentering 0.forcefeedback_ymin 0.forcefeedback_jolt_lowlimit 0.forcefeedback_jolt 0.;control_tweak controls stick force - 0 is low, 1 medium, higher heavycontrol_tweak 1joystick_sensitivity 93Anything above zero for the y axis gave me roll trim problems!The above at least lets me land the A/C provided there is very little crosswind.I fear a new joystick is the only answer.Ches

Get yourself a CH Flightstick Pro USB. It's expensive, but it's also one superb joystick.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

A spin-off here may be, what exactly does a force feedback stick do? I use a basic stick for any flight simulator since I really don't believe in the force feedback hype. However, I do use rudder pedals and consider these to be an integral part of a "real realism" set-up.Force feedback may be warranted in military dogfights. However, if your flying tends to focus on flying GA planes and commercial jets properly there'll be precious little need for force feedback. Reason: All of the forces are being trimmed out and all flight maneuvers are quite benign. Adding to this, a realistic force feedback will depend on the aircraft as well as the stick. Unless you prefer to perform really adventurous maneuvers a basic spring loaded stick will provide all of the resistance you want.Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hi Paul,>I run Linux but I loaded Windows on another harddisk just so>that I can use FUIII.>Have you ever tried using FU3 under Linux, with WINE or WINEX? I tried it with Wine many months ago, and though it had some minor problems, it worked... And the very active development of Wine and Winex has surely solved many problems since then, so it might be worth a try!Cristian

Guest effyouthree

Now I've got your attention :-rollI experimented with force feedback sticks some time ago however, after actually flying real planes for some time I must say that I believe their effects more 'novelty' than 'realism'.Case in point: Flying a Jet Ranger in MSFS (yes, I know this is FU3, please just listen).With a force-feedback stick, the bleedin' thing constantly judders, from the moment your rotor reaches about 50% RPM. Sorry, but this just does not happen! In reality, the most juddering you feel is through the seat and it it relates to to rotor pitch vs. windspeed and direction. An H60 is the same (but smoother). The stick just doesn't judder. At all.2nd case in point: Now, to an aircraft (any one, but I'm basing this on GA planes as they are what you'll most likely fly. Ask TomW how much feedback you get in an A320!). Sit on the tarmac at the piano keys. Move the yoke. Drags in both directions, with little or no 'detent' in the middle. Give it takeoff throttle. Suddenly, you CAN feel a detent because of the prop wash. Travel down the runway and reach rotation speed. Assuming you are trimmed for takeoff, you will feel nothing. Crosswinds? Again, you'll 'feel' nothing (although the plane may be careening off the center line). Now, reach an altitude and trim for level flight. Again, nothing on the yoke (because you trimmed it, right?). Now, push and pull the yoke. You will feel resistance in either direction.Now that I've blithered aimlessly for 5 minutes, what has this got to do with your joystick wobbling on the table?Nothing. Absolutely nothing. If you fly properly (using trims), the only feedback you'll get is through your seat when you touch down. As for the yoke trying to exert force on YOU, this only happens for those brief moments as you plough through the trees at Sky Harbour and you DON'T want that sort of feedback :-eekPS As someone (HP?) mentioned, get a good, purpose-built yoke and you'll be much happier. My 10 year-old CH 'Virtual Pilot' feels more like a GA aircraft yoke than any joystick ever could.:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"