Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

A farewell? Well, somehow...

Guest Stearman

I guess this could be considered sort of a farewell (to FU3 anyway). I'm going to reinstall my system completeley later this evening, and I'm afraid I won't install FU3 anymore.Reason for that is I haven't felt like using it for months, since I am definitely hooked on the FS2004 graphics, and the incredible wealth of add-ons available, which virtually let me fly whatever aircraft I prefer, wherever I want in the World.Not that I'm never going to visit this forum again (somehow I feel "at home" here), but obviously I'll have much less to say from now on.Thank you very much to all of you for these years of enjoyment, and specially to those who participated in the chats, whose memories are fondly cherished.Clear off the prop... blue skies!![h3]:-cool Stearman[/h3]P.S. (Quentin, I would have wanted to fly your Tiger Moth in FU3... who knows, maybe she would have stopped me from this. I whish you a great success with her).P.S.#2 (Tom, did you get my e-mail?)

Guest Staggerwing

Well, same happened to me but I'm still lurking about here :-)We still need to stay in touch somehow I'd say.. As long as nobody throws a fit (and they havent' yet) might as well be here. Unless you've learned to fit in over at the FS9 forums.Anyway, no matter what you end up doing... It's been my pleasure to know you and talk with you over the years, and you take all my best wishes along if you do drop away from the forums.

Guest Motormouse

He's (Daniel..that is , has ..(got it right this time) ) not gone far:-lolJust hooked up with 'Bush Flying Unlimited' (and some more of us old stagers there too).I tend to split my sim time between FuIII,Fly!2 and (shhhh) Fs 02 (only for Alaska though!!) but here is home.:-wavePete

Guest Staggerwing

::(: guess I better start checking in at the bush flying forum now and then if I want to see the old gang :-)

Daniel,I sort of know how you feel. I have been struggling with FU3 (enjoyment wise) for the past several months. Testing the latest (beta) version of Ansgar's high detail AI Pack has renewed some of my enthusiasm, although I can't say that it has been completely restored. In fact, I feel that 2005 could well be the last year that I use FU3 for my flight simulation "kicks", but this will all depend on whether Microsoft can finally introduce some key features of FU3 into their own product. Even though I appreciate that the flight modelling in MSFS can be extremely accurate if enough numbers are included in the code, I still believe that including realistic physics is a better way of simulating flight on the PC. This would solve the problem of rubbish ground handling in MSFS, and it would also allow me to fly without using trim (this is almost impossible in MSFS, and the ONLY reason for this is because the numbers for this type of flight are not added to the calculation tables. After all, who flies a plane without using trim) ?I would also like to see other stuff, like separate key commands for different viewpoints, VFR cockpit views (although these new virtual cockpits look rather tasty), and a completely redesigned interface (the current one just reminds me far too much of all those nasty versions of MSFS that I have experienced in the past). The inconsistent quality of the ground textures wouldn't be too much of a problem, since I really only want to fly around the UK....and the VFR Photographic Scenery from Visual Flight would solve that :-)The only major problem would be the cost. I have estimated (based on those products that I would like to use) that a total of AT LEAST

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've used several flight simulators since time immemorial (well, since 1998 :-))I'm using FS 9 a lot these days but I won't ditch FU 3. Why is it that flightsimmers feel that they should be dedicated to one single sim only? I mean, if you enjoy Quake or Mortal Kombat, would you feel compelled to shun other action games?I'm a flightsimmer. I don't have any (other) games installed. I enjoy the ground handling of FU 3, the flow dynamics approach to flight modelling, the photo-realistic scenery and the dynamic weather. Whenever I want to check out an aircraft that we haven't got and/or fly out of Chiang Mai in Thailand I launch FS 9. I've got innumerous FS 9 scenery and aircraft addons and there'll be more to come. However, whenever I want to fly a GA plane within one of our splendid FU 3 regions I certainly know which sim to launch :-)Chris, you keep insisting on flying aircraft without trimming them during flight. Why is that? I've set up two joystick buttons for trim and they're the same in all flight simulators. FS aircraft will hardly take off without trimming since the default setting is too far down. In other words, you'll have to trim up a bit to get airborne before running into overspeed. However, once you've trimmed an aircraft for take-off you can certainly keep that trim setting if you like. The obvious downside is that you'll never reach cruise speed but that goes for FU 3 as well.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Hans, if I can answer for Chris - and I'm sure he'll answer for himself! - Chris flies low and slow to see the scenery! Me too, but my method is different - if I want to see something I zoom in fast, shut off the throttle, lift the nose, stall downwards so that I'm flying AT the thing I want to see, then try to pull up before a close encounter of the earth kind. Or I fly close, then hop out of the cockpit, freeze the sim and go looking using F5 view. I can't wait to get my pilot's licence and start doing this around Sydney airport ...I'm sorry our little community is dwindling. I still enjoy the sim because I have been involved heavily in developing it, and I think that helps create interest - pushing the limits to see what can be done. Looking back, all the developers here have achieved incredible progress. Who would have though that Chris could have single-handedly landscaped all of San Fran and Seattle? Or that Jouko could unravel the AI? Or Dave's work on ATC? Jon' work on everything. Ansgar's cute little planes like the 747, DC3, Concorde? Steffen on scripts. The complex scenery areas by agtim, with detailed terrain and graphics. The outer terrain experts like Martin, Bill. The handy tools for making things like agtim, Gideon. Congrats to all who have contributed, but its the contributing that has made this sim last so long. And Quentin's tigermoth is wonderful - why hasn't it been publicly released yet? Update please developers!RobD.

Guest glidernut

Meny moons ago I remoovd the self sentering on my joystik and ever since Iv had no need to use the trim at all.My joystik stays presisly wher ever I leev it.If I want to go a little faster, I push the stik a little forwoerd,and If I want to go a little slower, I pull it back a bit.My joystik is so easy moov, it can be mooved with fether, and it makes for real smooth flying like this.I dont think I will ever change this way fo flying.Smooth like a dreem.glidernut.

Hans,The bit about trim was more to do with the "physics modelling" side of it. I can quite easily fly a plane using the trim controls in FU3 (and have done so on numerous occasions). I was just trying to emphasise that accurate modelling of flight dynamics across the ENTIRE ENVELOPE is very important to me. Some MSFS planes may well be capable of this, but many are not (IMO). I take your point about this though, and I will endeavour to fly my planes "properly" if I ever purchase FS2006 ;-)The simple explanation for my flying in FU3 without using trim is that it is EASIER. I am not a hardcore flight simmer like many of you here, and flying around without having to touch the trim controls (controlling ascent and descent entirely by engine power alone) allows me to concentrate on actually ENJOYING MYSELF. You see, I'm a bit of a scenery fan. I like to look out of the window on a regular basis (which is why I hate bloody panels that occupy 85 per cent of the screen). It's also why I thought that FS5 was quite possibly the worst flight simulator ever designed. Photorealistic graphics ?!! Photorealistic my a*** ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Staggerwing

>You may recall that I like my flight simulators to be PERFECT Oh, that's right...I forgot ;-) Perhaps one day MSFS will include a Hi Res download of everyone's favorite single area and include it in the base price of the software. Would make an appealing feature I think..

Guest Ansgar

Hi Daniel,hmmmmm, as said above from others also:everybody has time periods were he needs some other "air" to look in, or simply to see something else also. In your case it seems now a bit more than that because you would like to "switch over" to FSx completely. I didn

Guest Stearman

Hi Ansgar (and the rest of the gang)... thanks for your nice words, and don't worry, even if I don't plan to use FU3 anymore, I'll be keeping an eye on this forum, just in case you decide to call for new chats or something... (just take into account the Superbowl is around the corner, and I'm already missing the opportunity to brag about the Rams once again) :-lolBlue skies!!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103611.jpg