Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

A farewell? Well, somehow...

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,I have also come to regard FS04 as my default flight sim. The improvements in graphics and "feel" become adictive very fast. But like I told you in a mail on the 12th (that apparently you didn't get?) I haven't had time for any simming for 3 or 4 weeks now between work, family problems, and my search for a replacement for my old RX-7.But I think Stag and some ot the others have hit it on the head... this community is more about a core group of friends who share a love of flight simming than it is about any particular sim. I still love FU3 and consider it far better than any other up to but not including FS04. There is still a lot to be said for it's photo-real scenery. I know my knowledge of the SF area from the air that I got from FU2/FU3 added to my enjoyment in the United Airlines full motion sims.OH... regarding my search for a replacement for my RX-7... have a look here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=7784&page=Anyway I hope you still keep coming around. You are an important part of this community! :)PS - I'll try to get you a more complete answer to your e-mail over the next couple of days... did you get the one on the 12th?

Guest twsimfan

I forgot to say that the great thing about this here forum is that you don't get lost in the shuffle like can so easily happen in some others... that be strictly IMHO of course. :)

Guest Robert_S

Though others have already made the point, actually using Flight Unlimited 3 is no requirement for participation in this forum. Take a look at the ProPilot forum... it's a far "deader" flightsim, yet that group remains together, and it's even smaller than this group. I don't think any of them even use ProPilot anymore.And me, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I do no flightsiming at all anymore. I never installed FU3 on this system, though the latest version of MSFS is on the drive. But it's untouched for quite some time now. What gaming I do is racing simulations (Ever heard of the Racing Fools forum? ;-) ) when my chronically-painful shoulder allows it, but mainly Bookworm, Kyodai Mah-Jongg, and Pretty Good Solitaire. Hey, I'm old. :-)Anyhow, this is family. I think that AVSIM is the only place on the net where you can find Flight Unlimited 3 and ProPilot forums, and they are havens for groups of old friends. Fortunately Tom Allensworth understands this and allows us our "clubhouses". http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/...y/xyxthumbs.gif[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest Stearman

Hi Bob & Tom... nice to read from you both!! :-)Just review message #14 in this thread: you'll see I completely agree that not using FU3 anymore doesn't mean not visiting this forum here, so don't worry about that... (Uhmmm... just forget the part about the Rams, OK?) :-rollBob: I hope you can get back to racing sims eventually... should see the newer products from Bugbear (makers of Rally Trophy): Tough Trucks and, specially, Flat Out!! :-eekTom: Yes, I got your e-mail, but I simply didn't know what to answer, I don't feel really qualified to advise you on which car to buy. In addition, I was somehow surprised to see a family man looking for sports cars (call me prejudiced...), but if that's the question, I'd have gone for the full-sports one, the Miata... I see you've finally decided differently, though. Found also interesting your clearly defined preference for Japanese cars!!About "getting lost in the shuffle"... yeah, I'd probably do if I went to the MSFS forums... but for the kind of flight I'm interested in, I've got more than enough with the BFU forum... and that's also a really nice place!!I will be waiting for your e-mail, thanks in advance ;-)Best regards to all,

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,"Yes, I got your e-mail, but I simply didn't know what to answer, I don't feel really qualified to advise you on which car to buy."I would have been curious as to your impressions."In addition, I was somehow surprised to see a family man looking for sports cars"I'm not so sure I qualify as a "family man"... beed married for 30 years in June but I have dogs not kids... they are cheaper! ;)But if it makes you feel any better I still have my truck. It has what they call an "extended cab". It will seat five people if I fold down the rear seat. It is up about 99.4% of the time so I have the inside storage available. Then there is Rhonda's so called mini-van... pretty big for a mini... will seat 7. It is only the RX-7 which seats a maximum of 2 that I'm getting rid of. Actually it is technically already gone... been signed over and I don't have any keys but it is still in my driveway. They were supposed to have picked it up! Now they are putting it off until Monday... I want my driveway back!Also the Spyder technically seats 4. And we have tried that out... with Freddie & Holly in the back. That back seat is just about right for them. :-lol"I'd have gone for the full-sports one, the Miata... I see you've finally decided differently, though."If you saw my note to Stag down in RF then you know about my decision... I do like them Miatas."Found also interesting your clearly defined preference for Japanese cars!!"Well I can't afford a Covette and they don't make Camaros or Firebirds anymore... and the new Mustangs don't have convertibles. But to pick a couple of nits the Eclipse is made somewhere in Illinois and the 3.0L V6 engine comes from Canada. These days the makes don't tell you much about where they are made. There are plenty of Fords & Chevys that are not made in the US. But if it makes you feel any better I've been driving GMC trucks for about 19 years now and Rhonda's van is an Oldsmobile... which replaced her Chevy Blazer that died on top of 4th of July Pass last August. ;)I'll try to get to that e-mail tonight or tomorrow. :)

Guest Motormouse

Howdy Bob-san,Another Kyodai Mahjongg player here :-)p'raps we should start a mahjongg forum :-loljust to cater for the minority (that'll be us then).....:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

You'd have to count me in on that one too. ;)

Guest twsimfan

... these pictures in the post above but the forum software wouldn't let me load them.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103888.jpgMy '97 GMC Sierra "extended cab" 4X4 pick-em-up.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103889.jpgCute "little" thing... complete with a 350ci (5.7L) V8, 26 gal fuel tank, & half ton payload.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103890.jpgIf you look close at the rear of the cab you can see a bit of the rear seat... it folds down into a nice wide bench seat that also makes a pretty good bunk for one if you need one.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103891.jpgRhonda's '03 Oldsmobile Silhouette "mini" van. It has "captain's chair" seating in the front and 2nd rows... good for 4... then there is a fold down rear bench seat for 3 in back that is always folded down... need the storage space not the seats.For people familiar with FU3 scenery... this ain't in it... but the shot was taken at Vantage and you can see the I-90 bridge over the Columbia River in the background. Go West on I-90 for a couple of hours and you will be near Snoqualmie Pass and into the FU3 hi-res.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103892.jpgMy old '88 RX-7 which I'm sorry to say is still sitting in that exact spot in my driveway. I guess I should feel some remorse at it going but I don't own it anymore and I need the parking space. It was tons of fun in it's day now I'm ready for something new(er). I have had it for 11 years. :)So you see Daniel if I had a family I'd have plenty of room for them to ride in total comfort! ;)

Guest effyouthree

I was going to jump in here but I'll just say that we all have other things to distract us from time to time and FU3 (for that matter, any sim or game) probably started for many of us as a 'pleasant distraction' ;)I have just found it very rewarding and a great way to spend my 'nerdy time'. I won't argue FU vs. MSFS here - I am aware of the benefits of both. It's just that for some reasons (the wonderful folk here for example), I am happier to be part of the FU3 family.If I had all the time in the world (and lotsa money), I'd have 'em all.But, I don't :-rollSo, please don't be a stranger, OK? :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest CaptRolo

After all that's been said , I Enjoy this community of friends and fellow pilots . Through the years I have learned a lot and contibuted some . I now have friends from all over the world that share the common interest of flying . So swapping stories or flying missions in Our FBO and sipping coffee or whatever Is a part of my life that I enjoy very much . FU3 still amazes me And as far as I'm concerned,is not that much out of date.(technically speaking).IF IT AIN'T BROKE ,DON'T FIX ITCaptRolo

Guest Stearman

Hi agtim, how good do you rate it for a freeware sim?Cheers,

Hi Stearman,It's a greath work for a single person.we can't compare to fu3, scennery is as about MSFS 95 / 98Leo must be a user of FU3 - see the Lake Renagade :-)He takes a lot of planes, but there is no difference in flight. :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Well, Tom, I don't want to disagree but I don't understand why the new and better has to replace the old. I mean, I wish you luck with finding a new RX-7, but why on earth aren't you getting a 323?RobD323.