Sign in to follow this  
Guest evansgg

Chris Low 2005 Expansion Packs - Help Please

Guest evansgg

I seem to be having trouble getting through to Chris on his email but I did receive the 2005 San Fran and Seattle upgrade packs from him thanks. I installed both onto a stock FUIII instal and deleted the extraneous airfields as per the instructions and went to fly. I found airfields, buildings and trees in the water in both regions. Anyone else had trouble with the 2005 updates? Maybe I should have a dedicated FUIII Seattle version and a seperate one for San Fran altogether. I have a 256mb Radeon 9600XT video card and I use Omega drivers if that is relevant. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.:-hmmm

Gary,I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago, asking if you had received the two packs ! Do you have my correct e-mail address ? It is listed below:-Christopher dot Low at btinternet dot comI am very puzzled by your message regarding problems with these packs. They have been refined from earlier versions, so that they do not include dubious stuff (like daft batch files for flattening terrain; quite why I thought THAT would work is anyone's guess :-))Have you tried removing all of my add-ons, and then installing them one by one ? I know that this is rather time consuming, but it would be useful to know if everything works fine WITHOUT MY PACKS INSTALLED. If that is the case, then adding them in small stages could pin down the problem.By the way, you are the guinea pig here. Currently, you are the ONLY person who has the latest version of my region packs :-) In fact, I have made one or two modifications to a couple of SanFran airports since I sent those packs, so let me know when you have everything working OK, and I will send you the "upgrades" ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest evansgg

Hi Chris, This will be the third message I have sent you I am repeating this in the Avsim forum as well. I am beginning to wonder if my ISP might be blocked by your ISP. That happened to me a year or more ago with an American pal. I ended up changing service providers over that one! I will attach one of the pics I talked about in the forum thread. As far as mods goes, apart from your packs the version was unpatched or modded at all. I will uninstal and reinstal to see if it makes a difference. Only other thing is that I do have FUIIIUks residing on the same computer. I will unload and reload FUIII/FUII and apply and test each update seperately to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your efforts over the years, I have certainly appreciated your contribution to the flightsim community and my hobby.

Gary,Yes, you do appear to have some interesting airfields on that map :-)I have checked my e-mail (including the BULK folder that contains stuff identified as spam), but your message is nowhere to be seen.I check the messages on this forum every day, so let me know if you find a solution to your problem. It could be useful for others.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've seen that map before :-) It happened to me a long time ago when I was mixing and matching incompatible packages. My guess is that Chris' packages conflict with some other ones that you've got. If so, you may elect to keep several sets of packages. I have the unabridged Chris Low (previous version) and Allan_D packages and may run one or the other.Hans Petter

Hans,The instructions advise removal of other packages for total compatibility, and I thought that Gary had done that. We will just have to wait and see.I am considering uploading Seattle 2005 and SanFran 2005 to the FU3 file library here at AVSIM Online. SanFran 2004 was recently removed (leaving a total of ZERO Chris Low packages in the FU3 database at the present time :-eek), and Seattle 2004 was deleted a long time ago. I just want to be sure that all hell doesn't break loose again (whether that is because of incompatibilities between packages, or OTHER conflicts of interest) ;-)It would be useful to know what everyone wants me to do. I could upload them, or simply send them to everyone who asks for copies. These latest versions are more "tweaked" upgrades than "revolutionary" upgrades. Nevertheless, they do contain a significant amount of modifications, and they are also primed to utilise the upcoming release of the latest version of Ansgar's high detail AI Pack.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

These 'additional airfields' on the map can be seen, if you change regions from Seattle to SFO. You have to exit FU and start it again.B.Adamski

Guest evansgg

>The instructions advise removal of other packages for total>compatibility, and I thought that Gary had done that. We will>just have to wait and see.Chris,I had done that, I can read. I also uninstalled and manually deleted all files in the directory before deleted the directories themselves and reinstalling FUIII/FUII. I then Followed your instructions to the letter with applying SanFran2005. Reading ADamski's reply, I then went to Seattle and took off, and switched to SanFran without exiting FUIII. The result is a black screen and an error report generated to Microsoft. I have yet to delete the superfluous files as per the last part of your instructions but have to go to work now so wont be able to for another 10 hours or so. I will also fire an email to my ISP querying why I cannot send emails to your addy.

Gary,I wasn't suggesting that you hadn't followed the instructions to the letter. I was simply responding to Hans' comments, and trying to work out what the problem could be.As for Bogdan's suggestion, you shouldn't NEED to exit FU3 when changing regions. I have Seattle and SanFran installed (without the outer terrain scenery), and I can happily switch between the two.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest evansgg

Thanks Chris,Installed SanFran 2005 pack and had no problems switching between regions. Added Seattle 2005 and deleted the extraneous airports listed in install instructions. Took off in Oakland SanFran Region and had no problems. Then ended my flight and selected Port Angeles in Seattle Region and got a program crash while AI tracks were being generated. I did my FUIII install with the Outer Terrain so maybe that is the problem. I also got an error message re my video card not rendering properly. Next step will reinstall FUIII without Outer Terrain.

Gary,I am pretty sure that you will not have any problems if the outer terrain scenery is installed, although I am puzzled why this still happens. Did you have any OUTER TERRAIN airport packages installed ? These all count towards the Seattle quota.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest evansgg

No I didnt install anything that wasnt on the original disks or your 2005 update packs. I have sent you a message via yahoo email to see if that makes any diff with our email probs as well. Done a complete defrag overnight and about to reinstall sans outter terrain now. Keep you posted.

Guest evansgg

Fired up my new instal without outter terrain files but with Seattle 2005 and SanFran 2005, and without the extraneous Seattle airport files mentioned in the instal text file. I can fly all over the San Fran area with no problems. When I try to switch to Seattle I get a program crash. I rebooted and flew San Fran then exited FUIII. Fired up FUIII again and tried switching from last airport used (in SanFran) to Seattle Region. Got the attached error. Seems like I have problems with the Seattle 2005 update sorry Chris. Not sure where to go from here, tried just about everything.:-(

Chris will answer but I've got that one too! It's due to some of the stock Seattle airports being deleted while they are still being referenced in some CFG. I even get it while flying in the Seattle region with Chris' 2004 pack but it's not a "hard" error.The thing is click the right arrow button before clicking "enter" to get to the "ignore" button of the box. Here's a suggestion to Chris -- if stock airports are deleted it would be a good idea to find the airports' reference (probably requires som hex editing) and get rid of it. Just deleting a stock airport creates a minor conflict since the sim "thinks" it's still supposed to be there. If it's not possible to get rid of the reference it will be better to avoid deleting any stock airports.Hans Petter

Hans,That doesn't make any sense. I don't have any problems with my packs, so why should anyone else ? As for "stock airports", I have removed DAVIS FIELD (62wa) and BANDERA STATE from the Seattle Airports folder (and also from the AIRSPACE.txt file that is included. Is it possible that this is the cause of the problem ? I really would like to know the solution to this before I even consider uploading Seattle 2005 to the FU3 file library.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png