Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Peculiar Flt3 Strings

Guest juvat2

I was browsing through Flight Unlimited III strings using Process Explorer and thought you all might get a kick out of these. Maybe I can figure out how to print/save all the contents. Far as I can tell Process Explorer doesn't provide a means to do that:SoBiteMeZombiePlaneThe Unknown PilotPilot Voice: Marcel Marceaulg.ini MakeAllCodeWritableHappyHappyHighDramaPeterPeterPumpkinEaterDisablePeterPeterPumpkinEaterBye,JimB

Guest glidernut

Hi jimb,What are strings?Im not familier with Process Explorer, dus it giv you, us, a window intosum of FU3,s seecrets?Is what youv got there what the divelopers roate?Whats it all about?glidernut

Hi Jim,can you locate DirectX calls using this tool ?if possible file open also.if we want start reverse engineering one day this is a must.Character strings are nice to have, but not so helpfull. :-wave agtim

Guest juvat2

Hi John,I have to say I'm just a "poker". I kind of dabble around in flt3.exe, fled.exe, Jas.exe, JASeditor.exe and trans.dll to see what I can see. Most of what I see is beyond my dealing with. Other stuff like resource dialogs, and their strings I've kind of figured out. For example, in Fled, I find the window that opens showing the list of models is rediculously small, so re-sized it so it's a little larger; but, I can't figure out how to make the model viewing display larger so I can see the models more clearly prior to placing them in a package. I use Resource Hacker(RH) for that. Get it here www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/To your question on strings. From what I can tell they are the commands and arguments for a program. Not all commands are functional. Sometimes a developer forgets to remove non-functional commands, or may leave them in to be a "jokester". You can see what I mean if your were to open Flt3.exe while Flt3.exe is running using Process Explorer. This tool is free-ware and available from the developers free-ware home site at www.sysinternals.com. To view Flt3's strings: start a flight, go to nav map, alt+tab to go to desktop, start Process Explorer, in it's top window pane click flight3.exe, then at the top select "Process", then select "strings" from the next pop-up window. You'll see many commands we are familiar with, ie key assignments, goto, headtilt, etc."dus it giv you, us, a window into sum of FU3,s seecrets?" Only if we were to discover an unknown command.Here's an image of fled with the resized object window. See, now I can see just about all of JonP's tree model's in one listed view.Can anyone tell me how to enlarge and lighten the model viewer window?Take care,JimBhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106406.jpg

Guest juvat2

Hi agtim,I suspect IDAPro might be the best tool for reverse engineering. Here's a small excerpt(sp?) from a disassembly of Flight3.exe saved as Flight3.asm(88.1MB). It's 2.45MB zipped.;

Hi Jim,Thanks for info, I have an old version of PE Explorer but mostly have used w32dasm.exe for analysis and patching of code.My PE Explorer is no longer valid and I will have to download a new one. Will try the programs.Once elevation of UKS finished I want analyse fu3 for sequence of opening files and location of AI data, the red lines drawn during start of flight. There must be a memory table holding AI schedule and paths.The 3D-Window in FLED is a control or window inside the dialog. It must be possible to modify the size retained inside resource block also. :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Jim,Thanks for the links, I found the programs fasinating, I dont understandthem at all, so I carnt help you enlarge the Fled model viewing display,but its all very interesting.At the botom of the page of your first link here www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/there is a link to other tools, where I fond a very simpl little program caled"TextDiff" which is a sort of .txt editor, but its got LINE NUMBERS, whichis very usefal for FU3 chalange script righting.When ever I make an errer in the calange script.txt, which is oftern, FU3 tels me of the errer and givs a line bumber of where the errer is, but counting thelines in the script is a pain.But opening the chalange script in TextDiff with its line numbers, I can gostrate to the errer, its grate.Steffen Schiedek recomends useing

Guest juvat2

Hi John,Here are 2 free-ware tools that provide for numbers line numbers plus much more:NoteTab Lite http://notetab.com/-This tool I use instead of notepad. http://www.crimsoneditor.com/english/download.html-This allows for tabs, indents and colored textTake care,JimB

Guest glidernut

Thanks Jim,Iv just tryed both of them and Iv chosen to use an erly vershion of Crimson Editor,its very simpl, unclutered, and dus exactly what I want without fuss. Perfect. Do cum back and tell us if you make any mor inroads into FU3, Im gobsmaked thatyou hav been able to re-size fleds object window, thats amazing.glidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

John,If you like I can e-mail you my modded Fled.exe so you can test it. I have my desktop set to 1280x1024 and had set the size of the object window accordingly and also increased the font size for an easier read of the model names. I wish I could figure out the model view window though, as it looks quite peculiar, small as it is. If we do this, make sure you back-up/store your original Fled.exe incase you find mine unlikable.JimB :-wave

Guest glidernut

Jim,Yes pleas, send me your Fled.exe, even thow the disply window is the same, the extra longscrowl bar to one side looks easyr to use than what we hav now.My peferd desktop seting is 1024x768 which soots other programs I use. If for most users, the botom of your name list dus not go off the boterm of the desktop when the drag and drop part of the display is at the top of the desktop, then whay notput it on avsim? I presoom the same disply is used regardles of REGION, I dont know.I hav used Gideon,s ModelViewer at the same time as Fled but this only displays modelsloos in Gen, not models loked awy in the tag file.As for the D3DSpy, even thow I hav brord dand, having had troubl in the past with security,thees days I tend to stay off the net, only visiting FU3 related sites.Yes pleas, send me your Fledglidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi John,It's on the way via e-mail. Supanet still you?Hope you enjoy it.Take care,JimB

Guest glidernut

Supanet, O, no thats not it.Iv just sent you my e-mail vai avsim.glidernut

Guest juvat2

Hi JohnI never got the e-mail. Try jbuff61173atmsndotcom.JimB